Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Travelled much in the States?

Travelled much in the States?

Old May 13th 2012, 3:57 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelled much in the States?

Originally Posted by Jan Alaska
I started off wanting to visit all 50 states, so far I've seen Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Arizona, California, Nevada, Florida, Colorado and of course Alaska. This leaves most of the South and North East, bible belt and tornado alley. Now thinking about this I realise there's states I really won't be bothered if I miss, namely Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, Iowa, New Jersey, even NY city doesn't really appeal to me.
Next on the to-do list is Oregon with maybe a foray into Northern California.

In a similar way there's parts of the UK I've never seen for no other reason than they really never appealed to me.
Know what you mean about not bothered about "missing" states - some just don't appeal to me. Arkansas was on that list for me too, but we ended up spending 3 weeks there last summer and I loved it. Very friendly, lots of good outdoorsy stuff to do, the State Park system is great - even Little Rock was a lot nicer than I expected. So now I've got some reconsidering to do........
Old May 14th 2012, 12:11 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Primula
Nope.
I think Puerto Rico counts.

Alaska, Oregon and Washington in one trip? I think I could safely spend the rest of my life exploring those three States.

I always think it's a bit pointless just visiting a State to say you've been to that State because some States differ quite markedly. For example northern Idaho is very different from southern Idaho (so much so they keep talking about splitting the State in half). Arizona has all kinds of different climates, so does Utah.

I've actually got to a point where I don't really look at the map the way most people do, I consider everything in the mountain time zone going west as one place, whether it's Canada, the US or Mexico.
Old May 14th 2012, 1:35 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
I've actually got to a point where I don't really look at the map the way most people do, I consider everything in the mountain time zone going west as one place, whether it's Canada, the US or Mexico.
That could lead to some interesting conversations at the border
Old May 14th 2012, 1:36 am

I always think it's a bit pointless just visiting a State to say you've been to that State because some States differ quite markedly.
I agree - its a bit like the "I've done Europe because I did a 14 country, 11 day visit there 10 years ago" mentality
Old May 14th 2012, 3:22 am
BE Enthusiast

SalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond repute

Quite embarrassingly, the only state outside of California I've been to is Nevada for obvious reasons.

Although the 2 hours I've stayed in Phoenix is all I will ever want to experience of Arizona in its entirety ever. Ever ever ever ever.
Old May 14th 2012, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by SalopianFunk
Although the 2 hours I've stayed in Phoenix is all I will ever want to experience of Arizona in its entirety ever. Ever ever ever ever.
There's got to be a story in there somewhere.......?
Old May 14th 2012, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SalopianFunk
Quite embarrassingly, the only state outside of California I've been to is Nevada for obvious reasons.

So, you don't wish to visit the Grand Canyon, then?

Jim.
Old May 14th 2012, 2:50 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
So, you don't wish to visit the Grand Canyon, then?

Jim.
Big hole in the ground. Can't see the attraction. If I was in charge I'd just fill it in.

Last edited by tonrob; May 14th 2012 at 2:54 pm.
Old May 14th 2012, 2:53 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I always think it's a bit pointless just visiting a State to say you've been to that State because some States differ quite markedly. For example northern Idaho is very different from southern Idaho (so much so they keep talking about splitting the State in half). Arizona has all kinds of different climates, so does Utah.
Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
I agree - its a bit like the "I've done Europe because I did a 14 country, 11 day visit there 10 years ago" mentality
So does that invalidate the "I've been to X state" discussions entirely?

It brings up the question as to what it takes to be able to say you've "visited" a state. For me, I've got to at least have had a pee while I was there. On the other hand, if the threshhold was increased to a poo then I'd lose two states right there (Arkansas and Wisconsin).
Old May 14th 2012, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob
So does that invalidate the "I've been to X state" discussions entirely?

It brings up the question as to what it takes to be able to say you've "visited" a state. For me, I've got to at least have had a pee while I was there. On the other hand, if the threshhold was increased to a poo then I'd lose two states right there (Arkansas and Wisconsin).
Ah, but does it still count if its a pee/poo at the airport on a long layover....or on the Empire Builder on the way through....
Old May 14th 2012, 3:16 pm
Septic Sprout

Ah, but does it still count if its a pee/poo at the airport on a long layover....or on the Empire Builder on the way through....
Airports clearly don't count, at least if you stay airside. I've never had to worry about how much you have to do landside as I don't have any states that hinge on this.

Passing through on the Empire Builder... I'd say that if it was an old-style train where, when you flush, your waste hits the track then this would definately count. However I believe that modern Amtrak trains have retention tanks so that your deposits are captured and actually transported outside of the state that you are trying to claim - clearly far from ideal.

I know that long-distance trains often have extended stops at a couple of locations where the engines receive fuel, carriages water etc. If these are conveniently-located then they may provide an excellent opportunity for me to be 'in motion' when the train itself is not.

Last edited by tonrob; May 14th 2012 at 3:19 pm.
Old May 14th 2012, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

I have a "Stepped-Foot In" List and a "Spent The Night In" List.

Jim.
Old May 14th 2012, 3:22 pm
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
I have a "Stepped-Foot In" List...
And so you wish me to amend my criteria to "poo in a toilet"?
Old May 14th 2012, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob
Passing through on the Empire Builder... I'd say that if it was an old-style train where, when you flush, your waste hits the track then this would definately count. However I believe that modern Amtrak trains have retention tanks so that your deposits are captured and actually transported outside of the state that you are trying to claim - clearly far from ideal.
Now this raises another issue.....say you board in New York, dump to a retention tank going through Ohio and get off in South Dakota, but the train continues on to California before emptying the holding tanks, can you still claim California?

Interesting that this discussion didn't start till post #40-ish....last time this topic came up a couple of years ago, the nitty gritty was being sorted as early as post #5!
Old May 14th 2012, 3:27 pm
Septic Sprout

Now this raises another issue.....say you board in New York, dump to a retention tank going through Ohio and get off in South Dakota, but the train continues on to California before emptying the holding tanks, can you still claim California?

Interesting that this discussion didn't start till post #40-ish....last time this topic came up a couple of years ago, the nitty gritty was being sorted as early as post #5!
I'd say that it was the state of evacuation that matters, although there's always some chancer out there that's trying to game the system.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.