Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Traveling to the USA during COVID 19 lift

Traveling to the USA during COVID 19 lift

Old Dec 3rd 2021, 8:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat096 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Traveling to the USA during COVID 19 lift

Rules have changed regarding testing before flying...

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html
Old Dec 5th 2021, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

phish is an unknown quantity at this point

Are there free/insurance paid tests here in the US I can take to satisfy the new rules before flying to the UK? That get results back quickly.
Old Dec 5th 2021, 7:44 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phish
Are there free/insurance paid tests here in the US I can take to satisfy the new rules before flying to the UK? That get results back quickly.
You gotta pay.

Same as in the UK - I can get a pack of seven lateral flow tests free from the NHS. But, to satisfy US requirements, I have to pay at least £35 for one such test (identical to the free ones.) Why? Because what you are paying for is the certificate saying that a legitimate testing company has checked your id, and yes, you got a negative result.
Old Dec 6th 2021, 2:09 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
You gotta pay.

Really? I did mine free at Walgreens last August.

https://www.walgreens.com/topic/prom...id-testing.jsp

Is that just an Ilinois thing?

Old Dec 6th 2021, 7:26 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Really? I did mine free at Walgreens last August.

https://www.walgreens.com/topic/prom...id-testing.jsp

Is that just an Ilinois thing?
OK, I was wrong. I guess I was too reliant on the British dynamic, where testing for international travel entails a fee. I left the US in early October, when there was no pre-travel test required for flights to UK. My apologies for misinformation ..

But I think it does vary by state. My daughter, in Massachusetts, has to get tests constantly (she’s a sports referee, school, college & professional levels) and she always has to pay. There’s simply no free tests in MA.

Last edited by robin1234; Dec 6th 2021 at 7:29 am.
Old Dec 6th 2021, 6:30 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
OK, I was wrong. I guess I was too reliant on the British dynamic, where testing for international travel entails a fee. I left the US in early October, when there was no pre-travel test required for flights to UK. My apologies for misinformation ..

But I think it does vary by state. My daughter, in Massachusetts, has to get tests constantly (she’s a sports referee, school, college & professional levels) and she always has to pay. There’s simply no free tests in MA.

That's odd. I'm used to Mass being one of the more enlightened states when it comes to medical things.

I do think that you cannot get a pcr test free here, or at any rate not as easily. But I haven't really looked.
Old Dec 6th 2021, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

phish is an unknown quantity at this point

Good to know! Are Walgreens/CVS etc relatively prompt w/ results? Haven't had to take a test before.
Old Dec 6th 2021, 7:47 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

A PCR test from Walgreens or CVS typically returns results later in the evening of the day after you took the test, but both offer rapid PCR tests where you typically get the results on the same day. Only some locations provide the rapid test and it is very clear on the websites which location does what test, and what you are booking. The rapid PCR test is accepted for some international travel but not all countries accept it, you have to check with wherever you are going.

Last edited by Glasgow Girl; Dec 6th 2021 at 7:49 pm.
Old Dec 11th 2021, 4:18 pm
fstanfield

fiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond repute

I have a couple of questions,
on the pre departure test back to the UK from the USA, the 48 hrs before does that mean from your starting flight that’s in a different state or is it the flight that’s taking you over to the UK, or is it 48 hours before you land in the uk the next day. I am not understanding due to time zone differences. Also can you book your 2 day PCR test before you go or does it have a special date to order it before you get home. I am getting really stressed out with all this. Thank you!
Old Dec 11th 2021, 4:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat096 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fiona stanfield
on the pre departure test back to the UK from the USA, the 48 hrs before does that mean from your starting flight that’s in a different state or is it the flight that’s taking you over to the UK, or is it 48 hours before you land in the uk the next day. I am not understanding due to time zone differences. Also can you book your 2 day PCR test before you go or does it have a special date to order it before you get home. I am getting really stressed out with all this. Thank you!
I assume the 48 hours is from your us departure.

The PCR has to be booked before you go
Old Dec 11th 2021, 4:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Don't get stressed, all of the info you need is on the gov.uk website so just take your time and do yourself a checklist of all that is needed. The 2 days before is before you arrive in the UK, but that can include the day of travel, i.e if you arrive on a Saturday you need to do your test on the Saturday, Friday or Thursday. See this bit of the website - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavi...ing-to-england

And you MUST book your PCR test beforehand, as you need the details of it for your passenger locator form (which must be completed in the 48 hours before arriving back in the UK). https://www.gov.uk/find-travel-test-provider

HTH.
Old Dec 11th 2021, 7:39 pm
fstanfield

fiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for your help and the links. I really appreciate it.
Old Dec 11th 2021, 10:25 pm
fstanfield

I have a question for anyone who is a dual citizen and who uses both their passports when they go to the USA. I have just seen a copy of a passenger locator form and I am puzzled as it asks your passport number and I have to use my US passport to leave the US and it says that is what they go by, but I need to come in to the UK on my British passport. What will I do show them both. I live in the UK? Then there is another question where it says where will you stay in the UK then it says what date will you leave. This trip is getting more and more complicated every minute. HELP ME please.
Old Dec 11th 2021, 10:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I have a question for anyone who is a dual citizen and who uses both their passports when they go to the USA. I have just seen a copy of a passenger locator form and I am puzzled as it asks your passport number and I have to use my US passport to leave the US and it says that is what they go by, but I need to come in to the UK on my British passport. What will I do show them both. I live in the UK? Then there is another question where it says where will you stay in the UK then it says what date will you leave. This trip is getting more and more complicated every minute. HELP ME please.
It is not complicated at all. US citizens MUST enter and leave the US using US PP. You can use any PP to leave and enter the UK. Although if you enter the UK using a non UK PP, you will be entered as a visitor. I really do not think that a UK resident, entering the UK using a non UK PP, will have any ramifications.
Old Dec 11th 2021, 11:05 pm
fstanfield

Thank you Jerseygirl!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.