Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Traveling to US for a job interview

Wikiposts

Traveling to US for a job interview

Old Dec 14th 2020, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

BananaMonarchy has a reputation beyond reputeBananaMonarchy has a reputation beyond reputeBananaMonarchy has a reputation beyond reputeBananaMonarchy has a reputation beyond reputeBananaMonarchy has a reputation beyond reputeBananaMonarchy has a reputation beyond reputeBananaMonarchy has a reputation beyond reputeBananaMonarchy has a reputation beyond reputeBananaMonarchy has a reputation beyond reputeBananaMonarchy has a reputation beyond reputeBananaMonarchy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Traveling to US for a job interview

Hi Everyone,

A few days ago I received an invitation to an interview next month for a job in Florida.

Due to the pandemic the interview is online but I expect that if I am successful I will be invited to an in-person interview before a job offer is made. Currently Florida has no travel restrictions in place.

Am I allowed to travel to the U.S by air for a job interview?

I have dual British and Canadian citizenship.

I am aware that there is a restriction of travelers crossing the US – Canada land border for non-essential purposes.

Before the pandemic I read online somewhere that foreign nationals are permitted entry to the U.S to attend a job interview if they explain to CBP that the US employer inviting them will complete the necessary paperwork (in my case for TN status) if a job offer is made.
Old Dec 14th 2020, 12:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Traveling to US for a job interview

You can fly to Florida from Canada without restrictions. I believe there are no quarantine restrictions in Florida. As a Canadian citizen you can re-enter Canada but will probably have to quarantine for 14 days upon arrival.
Old Dec 14th 2020, 1:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

The following is on the UK Gov website:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/usa

Travel to USA is subject to entry restrictions
  • British nationals cannot enter the USA and its territories if they have been in the UK, Ireland, Schengen zone, Iran, Brazil or China within the previous 14 days
  • If you are eligible to enter the USA you must be prepared to self-isolate for up to 14 days after arrival
The above is as per the directive from Pres Trump in March

Some people get an NIE to fly: details below

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...d-ireland.html

From the Air Canada website:

Entry into the United States

When arriving at your destination, you may be subject to further measures imposed by local governments to prevent the spread of COVID-19. There are various measures in place to restrict non-essential travel, including new entry forms or self-quarantine requirements on arrival. Ensure you are familiar with the restrictions imposed by the local authorities at your destination.

Travellers who are not U.S. nationals or legal permanent residents of the U.S. will not be permitted entry into Canada for the purpose of transiting into the United States.

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Dec 14th 2020 at 1:10 pm.
Old Dec 15th 2020, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

BananaMonarchy has a reputation beyond reputeBananaMonarchy has a reputation beyond reputeBananaMonarchy has a reputation beyond reputeBananaMonarchy has a reputation beyond reputeBananaMonarchy has a reputation beyond reputeBananaMonarchy has a reputation beyond reputeBananaMonarchy has a reputation beyond reputeBananaMonarchy has a reputation beyond reputeBananaMonarchy has a reputation beyond reputeBananaMonarchy has a reputation beyond reputeBananaMonarchy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replies.

What concerns me is that CBP officers may not know what stamp to put in my passport if I am entering the US to attend a job interview. B1 or B2 status is for tourism, which is currently not permitted during the pandemic.
Old Dec 15th 2020, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

You just say you are going for a job interview. The officer will know -- they will stamp B-1 in your Canadian passport.