British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Traveling with UK and US passports to UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/traveling-uk-us-passports-uk-903943/)

excpomea Sep 28th 2017 5:00 pm

Traveling with UK and US passports to UK

Not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes.
Being a dual national for many years when traveling to the UK from the US I have left on my US passport, arrived in the UK on my UK one.
Returning to the US I did the reverse.

Now a friend is telling me that this is banned.
He did the same but was pulled aside by US immigration and told to stop doing this as his passport did not show him landing in the UK. He must use his US passport both ways.

Now I traveled in Aug and had no issues.

If there was a change can anyone point me to the official clarification stating so?

Many thanks

MidAtlantic Sep 28th 2017 5:12 pm

Re: Traveling with UK and US passports to UK

Originally Posted by excpomea (Post 12349187)
Being a dual national for many years when traveling to the UK from the US I have left on my US passport, arrived in the UK on my UK one.

He did the same but was pulled aside by US immigration and told to stop doing this as his passport did not show him landing in the UK. He must use his US passport both ways.

If there was a change can anyone point me to the official clarification stating so?

Many thanks

I have always done that with no issues.

Jerseygirl Sep 28th 2017 5:15 pm

I have never had a problem doing the same. The only legal requirement is that a USC leaves and enters the US using a US passport.

I think it's more of a case of Big Brother wanting to know what countries their citizens have visited. Land of the Free indeed. :rolleyes:

vikingsail Sep 28th 2017 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12349204)
I have never had a problem doing the same. The only legal requirement is that a USC leaves and enters the US using a US passport.

I think it's more of a case of Big Brother wanting to know what countries their citizens have visited. Land of the Free indeed. :rolleyes:

Agreed. I think the ability of Amurica to control how citizens enter the UK is still something beyond their abilities, as we edge toward the 51st state who knows!

Arguably, the UK might well have an issue if you hold a UK passport and do not use it to enter the country (UK) using the same logic/same rationale, employed by US authorities when requiring its citizens to enter and leave on a US passport.

lansbury Sep 28th 2017 5:48 pm

The interesting thing is that if a UK immigration officer knows you have a UK passport in your possession they are meant to land you on that and not stamp the second passport. When I was at LHR I saw people ask to have their US passport stamped to show proof of landing, and as they had a UK passport the request was refused.

robin1234 Sep 28th 2017 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by excpomea (Post 12349187)

Many thanks

If that US official had sat down and quietly thought through what he was saying, hopefully he would have realised it was complete bollocks.

excpomea Sep 28th 2017 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 12349238)
If that US official had sat down and quietly thought through what he was saying, hopefully he would have realised it was complete bollocks.

Lol, my thoughts too.

vikingsail Sep 28th 2017 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 12349238)

I think the clue was in "US Official" imho experience more times than not its complete bollocks:rofl: see C in Chief.

robin1234 Sep 28th 2017 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by vikingsail (Post 12349232)
Agreed. I think the ability of Amurica to control how citizens enter the UK is still something beyond their abilities, as we edge toward the 51st state who knows!

Arguably, the UK might well have an issue if you hold a UK passport and do not use it to enter the country (UK) using the same logic/same rationale, employed by US authorities when requiring its citizens to enter and leave on a US passport.

So UK will get in the queue before more deserving candidates such as Puerto Rico? That sucks. Oh yeah, just remembered, we are mostly WASPs. We qualify!

rpjs Sep 28th 2017 9:08 pm

Arguably, under the current administration the UK is slightly more likely to be admitted to the Union than Puerto Rico.

Pulaski Sep 29th 2017 1:59 am

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 12349381)
Arguably, under the current administration the UK is slightly more likely to be admitted to the Union than Puerto Rico.

:fingerscrossed:

MarylandNed Sep 29th 2017 4:21 am

Originally Posted by vikingsail (Post 12349232)

It's not logic or rationale. USC's are expected to leave/enter the US using US passports per US law. The UK has no such law for its citizens.

MidAtlantic Sep 29th 2017 11:30 am

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 12349570)
It's not logic or rationale. USC's are expected to leave/enter the US using US passports per US law. The UK has no such law for its citizens.

OK but read Lansbury's #5 above.

LuluBelle1 Sep 29th 2017 12:40 pm

We just flew from the states and back last week. Arrived to the US and showed a US passport, and when we landed in the UK used our UK passport.

Jerseygirl Sep 29th 2017 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by LuluBelle1 (Post 12349777)
We just flew from the states and back last week. Arrived to the US and showed a US passport, and when we landed in the UK used our UK passport.

Done it more than a hundred times...never had a problem.