British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   traveling to UK on US passport (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/traveling-uk-us-passport-727938/)

richard44 Aug 8th 2011 11:23 pm

traveling to UK on US passport

I'm traveling to the UK, but I'm one of those poor sods who sent my british passport in for renewal through the Washington embassy (months ago), and now I'm stuck without a british passport.

I do have a valid U.S. passport, but I've heard that entering as a visitor is a no, no..

I'm sure someone else has done it. Any experience out there on entering the country with your U.S. passport - only?

md95065 Aug 8th 2011 11:36 pm

Re: traveling to UK on US passport

You shouldn't have a problem entering the UK as a visitor using your US passport.

Unlike the US, the UK does not require its citizens to use a UK Passport when entering and leaving the country.

Bob Aug 8th 2011 11:50 pm

You have to use the US passport anyway being a USC.

The UK, you can use whatever passport that is valid for the reason of the trip for, so a holiday, a US passport is fine.

It's only a hassle if you were to want to spend more than 6 months in the UK.

Xebedee Aug 9th 2011 10:57 am

Recently checked in and gave my US pp. The airline clerk noticed the other one as I removed the US one and asked for it instead. Even tho I explained that
1. Its ok to have both,
2. The US is my country of residence and
3. I am required to travel on the US pp, the UK one was the only one they would take.

So on the flight manifest, I was listed with a UK pp. I then used the US one at all subsequent USCIS checkpoints as well as gate check-in (??!!) then switched back to the UK one upon entering England.

I really don't think one hand knows what the other is doing and in the future will try offering both at check-in and ask them to chose which one they want.

ian-mstm Aug 9th 2011 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Xebedee (Post 9547057)
... in the future will try offering both at check-in and ask them to chose which one they want.

In the future, try keeping your UK passport in a different pocket where you're not likely to inadvertently show both at the same time! :)

Ian

md95065 Aug 9th 2011 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by Xebedee (Post 9547057)
Even tho I explained that
1. Its ok to have both,
2. The US is my country of residence and
3. I am required to travel on the US pp, the UK one was the only one they would take.

That is the point at which you (politely) insist on speaking to a supervisor and point out that since there are (presumably) other US citizens checking in for the flight with US passports there is no reason why you should not be allowed to do likewise ...