Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Traveling america

Traveling america

Old Apr 5th 2009, 12:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Traveling america

Originally Posted by Smyth
i will be staying downtown. thanks or that it been helpful

i have been in victoria for the past 8 months but have not really done any thing here yet. i think i will do the tour boats and i work at glo which is on the gorge route.

thanks for that. how long would you recommend staying in new york? thats gave me a few thing to think about.i never even knew about the hancock center
I was able to do the WTC (I went in 2000), Empire State building, statue of liberty, central park and times square all in a 13 hour day, it was non-stop on the move, but gives an idea on how much you can do in a day.

I flew into Newark at 5am and flew out of JFK at 8pm the same day.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 4:04 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by limeynus
Info on a Tea Ceremony:
http://www.sfusd.k12.ca.us/schwww/sc..._Ceremony.html

I don't see the Tea Ceremony listed, I know I took my Mum there ... but it was a number of years ago, here's info on the GG Japanese Garden:

http://www.golden-gate-park.com/inde...ese_tea_garden
I might add that this is the place where the fortune cookie was allegedly invented.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 4:12 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smyth
<<snip>>

i have yet to decide what i want to do in New york
is there any things i have missed in any of the cites?
thanks
Re: New York

If you like art, I recommend MOMA (Museum of Modern Art) and the Whitney Museum.

Take a break in Central Park. I would recommend getting lunch to go (takeaway) from a nearby deli and eating it on a bench in Central Park.

If you like theater, catch at show on or off Broadway. TKTS has a offices in Times Square, South Street Seaport of downtown Brooklyn and sells both discounted tickets for on and off Broadway shows. I've seen cut price theater in NY courtesy of TKTS several times.

If you like ethnic cuisines, NY has Little Italy (but it's not as good as it used to be), Chinatown and more recently Koreatown, amongst others. So, I'd build time to check out those neighborhoods and eat the cuisines. NY is famous for its NY style pizza. For some reason, I seem to have missed this experience.

NY's five boroughs are worth checking out. Each has its own personality. I've been to all five and it's quite an experience. Some you might want to visit in the daytime.

Personally, I'd give yourself a minimum of two nights/three days in NY city.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 5:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I was able to do the WTC (I went in 2000), Empire State building, statue of liberty, central park and times square all in a 13 hour day, it was non-stop on the move, but gives an idea on how much you can do in a day.

I flew into Newark at 5am and flew out of JFK at 8pm the same day.
You can 'do' any city in a day if you 'have' to - but 'doing' a city that way is not exactly representative of the real city. You need to ride a cab; ride the subway; eat a hot dog; see a show (or at least, walk around broadway); stroll in central park; get lost and scared in some 'dicey' neighborhoods; eat at a great, inexpensive ethnic restaurant in Chinatown or little Italy and marvel at the quality and price; stroll the affluent shops on 5th Ave, then stroll 1 block away and see poor people rummaging through garbage cans ...
Old Apr 7th 2009, 1:39 pm
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

In response to your question re: NY, I spent 3 days there as a tourist and that was perfect for me. If you are looking to do a day of shopping (which I never) and entering more museum/arty things maybe add another day.. I dunno - if I were you, and this is a 1 in a lifetime trip, I would do 3 full days in NYC, get a hop-on hop-off open top tour bus ticket and then enjoy another City in the remainder of the time or extend my Chicago and San Fran stays (both better citys than NYC IMO).