Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Traveling america

Traveling america

Old Mar 9th 2009, 2:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Traveling america

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Yep. NYC is just like LA which is just like Seattle, Boston, Miami and New Orleans, which is just like San Francisco and Santa Fe.
I haven't been to all of the cities you mentioned, but I certainly wouldn't say that they were all the same. That being said, a city is a city in some ways - I found this to be true in Europe as well. The really charming areas to see are often the smaller towns.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kate2112
San Francisco - Alcatraz - Fishermans Wharf - Trolleys cars - Swan Oyster Bar
I've lived in/around SF for 25 years and have yet to go to Alcatraz! I'd prefer a ferry trip to Sausalito / Tiburon. On a clear day, get up to twin peaks for the view; Go to the Cliff House (ocean). Walk across the Golden Gate Bridge if the weather is good. TIP - don't visit SF in June/July - the weather is cold!
Old Apr 1st 2009, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

Smyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really nice

well i have finally made my mind up and made a plan and here it is

Sun, Jul 19 Depart: 5:30 am Victoria, Canada (YYJ)
Arrive: 5:52 am Vancouver, Canada (YVR)
• Day 1 Vancouver Aquarium and Stanley Park 19th July
• Day 2 Capilano Suspension Bridge 20th July

Mon, Jul 20 Depart: 8:30 pm Vancouver, Canada (YVR)
Arrive: 10:49 pm San Francisco, CA (SFO)
• Day 1 Get a bike go alone Crissy Fildes beach
Go across Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito
Then get the ferry back to San Fran 21st July
• Day 2 Alcatraz Island 22nd July
• Day 3 Carstro and Union Square
Take a look at Coit Tower
China Town 23rd July

Thu, Jul 23 Depart: 6:45 pm San Francisco, CA (SFO)
Arrive: 12:45 am next day Chicago, IL (ORD)
• Day 1 Grand Park And Buckingham Fountain
• Go up the Sears Tower
• Go have a look a the Flamingo Statue 24th July
• Day 2 Navy Pier
• White Harbor
• Bahi Temple 25th July
• Day 3 Planetarium and Chicago River 26th July

Sun, Jul 26 Depart: 5:35 pm Chicago, IL (ORD)
Arrive: 9:10 pm New York, NY (JFK)

• Day 1
• Day 2
• Day 3
• Day 4
• Day 5
• Day 6
• Day 7
• Day 8

Wed, Aug 5 Depart: 7:25 pm New York, NY (JFK)
Arrive: 7:50 am next day Dublin, Ireland (DUB)

i have yet to decide what i want to do in New york
is there any things i have missed in any of the cites?
thanks

Last edited by Smyth; Apr 1st 2009 at 10:56 pm. Reason: A little update
Old Apr 1st 2009, 9:50 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smyth
well i have finally made my mind up and made a plan and here it is

i have yet to decide what i want to do in New york
is there any things i have missed in any of the cites?
thanks
In SF:

Depending upon how active you are I would recommend walking to the GG Bridge from Fort Mason (or Fish Wharf) along the Crissy Field beach - its a great walk (only 2.5 miles and flat) and you get good views of the bridge and the bay (inc Alcatraz) and walk just past the Palace of Fine Arts. The best views of the bridge with SF in the background are from Congleman Road - basically at the NW corner of the bridge, bit of a hassle without a car.

What are you doing at the Ferry Terminal? You can go past the GG bridge and head down into Sausalito and get a ferry back to SF - but best if you do this on a cycle hired at Fisherman's Wharf.

Fisherman's wharf - a morning at most, have a look at the sea lions and some tacky shops. To be honest, you go to FW area to get the boat to Alcatraz and you can see all you need either side of the Alcatraz trip on the day before.

I would get FW on the same day as Alcatraz and then spend your last day having a mooch around the Castro and Union Sq, perhaps jump on a cable car or a street car.

have fun
Old Apr 1st 2009, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

Smyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really nice

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
In SF:

Depending upon how active you are I would recommend walking to the GG Bridge from Fort Mason (or Fish Wharf) along the Crissy Field beach - its a great walk (only 2.5 miles and flat) and you get good views of the bridge and the bay (inc Alcatraz) and walk just past the Palace of Fine Arts. The best views of the bridge with SF in the background are from Congleman Road - basically at the NW corner of the bridge, bit of a hassle without a car.

What are you doing at the Ferry Terminal? You can go past the GG bridge and head down into Sausalito and get a ferry back to SF - but best if you do this on a cycle hired at Fisherman's Wharf.

Fisherman's wharf - a morning at most, have a look at the sea lions and some tacky shops. To be honest, you go to FW area to get the boat to Alcatraz and you can see all you need either side of the Alcatraz trip on the day before.

I would get FW on the same day as Alcatraz and then spend your last day having a mooch around the Castro and Union Sq, perhaps jump on a cable car or a street car.

have fun
thank for that. thats the type of info i wanted.
you from san francisco?
Old Apr 1st 2009, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

limeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud of

thank for that. thats the type of info i wanted.
you from san francisco?
What about China Town? And Lombard Street? And the Golden Gate Park where the Japanese Gardens are for Tea Ceremony?

Last edited by limeynus; Apr 1st 2009 at 10:29 pm. Reason: Not Lombardo Street
Old Apr 1st 2009, 10:50 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by limeynus
What about China Town? And Lombard Street? And the Golden Gate Park where the Japanese Gardens are for Tea Ceremony?
Good ideas - GG park and tea garden might be a bit of a trek, Lombard does nothing for me but if one gets the cable car to FW it goes past it and they stop to let you see, the OP should add China Town to their day mooching around Castro etc.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by limeynus
What's a tea ceremony?
Old Apr 1st 2009, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

Sir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to behold

Assuming that you are going to 'on foot' and are relatively fit and mobile you can easily 'do San Francisco' justice in the 3 days you have.

Where are you staying during this time? In the same place, somewhere central downtown? I note you are arriving fairly late at night, so assume you are going to be in bed quite late by the time you get from the airport to your hotel, check -in, settle in and asleep...so no very early starts the next day.

You can do Fishermans Wharf, Pier 39, Ghiradelli Square, China Town, Lombard Street Union Square and the usual tourist stops in one day. Ride the cable cars and trolleys and get on and off as required. Buy a 1 or 3 day MUNI Passport http://www.sfmta.com/cms/mfares/passports.htm (bit like a like a London travel card). They are good for unlimited rides on all Muni Buses, trams, trolleys and cable cars and will save you a fortune. A one way ride on a Cable car is $5, for $11 you can ride all day on everything and for $18 you can ride for 3 days... unlimited. I would suggest you start in the financial district at Embarcadero and head out towards Fishermans Wharf on the trolleys and then work you way back around in a loop using the Powell/Hyde line to go up and California line to go across. You can also use the open topped london bus hop on-hop off sightseeing buses, but at an extra charge.Take a day, take it slow and enjoy... San Francisco is a wonderfully safe city with lots to see.

Day 2, Check out Golden Gate park, then head out across the Golden Gate Bridge, there are various beaches to look at, all nice (although be warned Baker Beach is Nudist) most are suited for beachcombing and walks, they can be windswept and the water is dangerous and cold. The tea ceremony in Golden Gate Park is fun and the new Academy of Sciences is worth a whole day in itself. But the park is just fun to ramble in if you like that kind of thing.

Day 3. Alcatraz. Start early and get it over with, then spend the rest of the day catching up on all the things you saw and missed on the previous 2 days. Alcatraz is Ok, but a bit of an anti climax to be honest.

Weather in San Francisco can change wildly, it can be lovely and sunny 65+ in one part, but windy (Golden Gate Bridge) and often foggy in others. Wear layers so you can deal with the changes. Wear comfortable walking shoes... its a hilly old place!

Enjoy your trip, hope this helps

Sir D
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

limeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud of

What's a tea ceremony?

Info on a Tea Ceremony:
http://www.sfusd.k12.ca.us/schwww/sc..._Ceremony.html

I don't see the Tea Ceremony listed, I know I took my Mum there ... but it was a number of years ago, here's info on the GG Japanese Garden:

http://www.golden-gate-park.com/inde...ese_tea_garden
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 4:06 pm
N99sea

naomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond repute

How long do you have in Victoria? I was a bit confused about how long you have there. If you're there for a few hours I would recommend taking one of the little tour boats that go around the harbor. You can get off at Fisherman's Wharf for fish and chips or ice-cream.
http://www.victoriaharbourferry.com/

The aquarium is cute, but it won't take you more than 45 minutes to see.
Naomi.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 6:04 pm
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by naomi
How long do you have in Victoria? I was a bit confused about how long you have there. If you're there for a few hours I would recommend taking one of the little tour boats that go around the harbor. You can get off at Fisherman's Wharf for fish and chips or ice-cream.

Naomi.
Personally, I think you have WAY too long in New York compared to the other places - but maybe that's just me.

In San Fran, agree with everyone else re: Alcatraz only taking a few hours, I loved it though. And Bunker beach is not ONLY nudist, but there may be a few nudists there. I was fully clothed and in the vast majority. Not sure how they manage to be nude though cos it's bloody cold and windy!

In Chicago, you are missing the art institute and the field museum, both of which are superb. I would do the art institute on day 1 as I think you are oin the vicinity - I would also generally walk around the parks near the lake on the same day.

Do Navy pier and the architectural river cruise (which is what I assume you mean by Chicago River, if not you should!) on the same day as the cruise leaves from the bottom of the pier.

Do the planetarium and field museum on the same day - If you are fast, you may even squeeze in the acquarium. They are all in the same place pretty much. Also, they are right by Soldier Field (the NFL stadium) so walk around the outside of that at least for 10 minutes as it's a pretty cool structure.

Forget going up the Sears tower in Chicago. Replace that with going up to the bar at the top of the Hancock Center - better view, you can relax and have a beer, you dont need to pay to go up (although the beer is expensive so cancels out a bit) and it is just all round better. If you can go up at sunset, perfect although ques can be long at this time.

Also, depending on what time you go up the Hancock, you should walk to it from the bottom of Michigan Avenue (the Magnificent Mile) or walk to the bottom of Michigan Avenue from it. This is essentially Chicago's 5th avenue, but I don't shop - I just walk it in the summer because I am a man and I have eyes....

Try and get to a Cubs game if you can. Absolute brilliant fun - get bleacher tickets. They are usually obtainable from somewhere if you look, even if you buy them outside on the day. It is a great time.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 6:11 pm
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

To add - Ive not checked which days you're in Chicago but the art institute is free thursdays between 5 and 8.

Good guide here:
http://wikitravel.org/en/Chicago/Loop
Old Apr 4th 2009, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sir Denis Eaton-Hogg
Assuming that you are going to 'on foot' and are relatively fit and mobile you can easily 'do San Francisco' justice in the 3 days you have.

Where are you staying during this time? In the same place, somewhere central downtown? I note you are arriving fairly late at night, so assume you are going to be in bed quite late by the time you get from the airport to your hotel, check -in, settle in and asleep...so no very early starts the next day.

You can do Fishermans Wharf, Pier 39, Ghiradelli Square, China Town, Lombard Street Union Square and the usual tourist stops in one day. Ride the cable cars and trolleys and get on and off as required. Buy a 1 or 3 day MUNI Passport http://www.sfmta.com/cms/mfares/passports.htm (bit like a like a London travel card). They are good for unlimited rides on all Muni Buses, trams, trolleys and cable cars and will save you a fortune. A one way ride on a Cable car is $5, for $11 you can ride all day on everything and for $18 you can ride for 3 days... unlimited. I would suggest you start in the financial district at Embarcadero and head out towards Fishermans Wharf on the trolleys and then work you way back around in a loop using the Powell/Hyde line to go up and California line to go across. You can also use the open topped london bus hop on-hop off sightseeing buses, but at an extra charge.Take a day, take it slow and enjoy... San Francisco is a wonderfully safe city with lots to see.

Day 2, Check out Golden Gate park, then head out across the Golden Gate Bridge, there are various beaches to look at, all nice (although be warned Baker Beach is Nudist) most are suited for beachcombing and walks, they can be windswept and the water is dangerous and cold. The tea ceremony in Golden Gate Park is fun and the new Academy of Sciences is worth a whole day in itself. But the park is just fun to ramble in if you like that kind of thing.

Day 3. Alcatraz. Start early and get it over with, then spend the rest of the day catching up on all the things you saw and missed on the previous 2 days. Alcatraz is Ok, but a bit of an anti climax to be honest.

Weather in San Francisco can change wildly, it can be lovely and sunny 65+ in one part, but windy (Golden Gate Bridge) and often foggy in others. Wear layers so you can deal with the changes. Wear comfortable walking shoes... its a hilly old place!

Enjoy your trip, hope this helps

Sir D
i will be staying downtown. thanks or that it been helpful

Originally Posted by naomi

Naomi.
i have been in victoria for the past 8 months but have not really done any thing here yet. i think i will do the tour boats and i work at glo which is on the gorge route.

Originally Posted by lj2
Personally, I think you have WAY too long in New York compared to the other places - but maybe that's just me.

In San Fran, agree with everyone else re: Alcatraz only taking a few hours, I loved it though. And Bunker beach is not ONLY nudist, but there may be a few nudists there. I was fully clothed and in the vast majority. Not sure how they manage to be nude though cos it's bloody cold and windy!

In Chicago, you are missing the art institute and the field museum, both of which are superb. I would do the art institute on day 1 as I think you are oin the vicinity - I would also generally walk around the parks near the lake on the same day.

Do Navy pier and the architectural river cruise (which is what I assume you mean by Chicago River, if not you should!) on the same day as the cruise leaves from the bottom of the pier.

Do the planetarium and field museum on the same day - If you are fast, you may even squeeze in the acquarium. They are all in the same place pretty much. Also, they are right by Soldier Field (the NFL stadium) so walk around the outside of that at least for 10 minutes as it's a pretty cool structure.

Forget going up the Sears tower in Chicago. Replace that with going up to the bar at the top of the Hancock Center - better view, you can relax and have a beer, you dont need to pay to go up (although the beer is expensive so cancels out a bit) and it is just all round better. If you can go up at sunset, perfect although ques can be long at this time.

Also, depending on what time you go up the Hancock, you should walk to it from the bottom of Michigan Avenue (the Magnificent Mile) or walk to the bottom of Michigan Avenue from it. This is essentially Chicago's 5th avenue, but I don't shop - I just walk it in the summer because I am a man and I have eyes....

Try and get to a Cubs game if you can. Absolute brilliant fun - get bleacher tickets. They are usually obtainable from somewhere if you look, even if you buy them outside on the day. It is a great time.
thanks for that. how long would you recommend staying in new york? thats gave me a few thing to think about.i never even knew about the hancock center
Old Apr 5th 2009, 12:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you want to see the movie studios and sights related to it, or the theme parks, I'd personally skip Los Angeles and do San Diego instead, overall its a nicer city then Los Angeles in my opinion.

Personally I'd skip the Vancouver Aquarium and visit the Aquarium in Chicago, or visit both. But the Aquariums in both San Francisco and Chicago tend to be on the higher quality side then the Vancouver aquarium.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Apr 5th 2009 at 12:36 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.