British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Travel while passport is being renewed. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/travel-while-passport-being-renewed-930398/)

gwlnd Jan 15th 2020 3:54 pm

Travel while passport is being renewed.

Hi, I live in the border state of Arizona so if I go anywhere on a little day trip like Tombstone I may have to go through immigration checkpoints. My passport expires in April. Is there anything I can get formwise which would allow me to still travel internally whilst my passport has been sent away to be renewed. I remember asking a checkpoint guy about it when stopped awhile back and he said there was some form I could get, anybody know what it is. I have a friend visiting and I don't want to be a) stuck in Tucson or b) waiting until after he leaves to send the passport off and run the risk of not getting the new one by march when I'm going to florida.

Pulaski Jan 15th 2020 4:01 pm

Re: Travel while passport is being renewed.

You're talking about a British passport? You can renew it up to six months early (before expiry) and currently the turn around time for a British passport is usually less than two weeks from "mailing" * (in the US) to having your new passport back in your hands.

* I strongly recommend using FedEx or UPS for security reasons as well as speed.

Bob Jan 15th 2020 4:03 pm

UK passports are taking about a couple of weeks to renew, so if you send it off now you should be all set.

gwlnd Jan 15th 2020 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 12790077)
UK passports are taking about a couple of weeks to renew, so if you send it off now you should be all set.

The issue is what do I do if I get stopped at a checkpoint whilst it's being renewed

gwlnd Jan 15th 2020 4:32 pm

The issue is what do I do if I get stopped at a checkpoint whilst it's being renewed

tom169 Jan 15th 2020 4:38 pm

What's your status in the USA?

gwlnd Jan 15th 2020 5:00 pm

J1 visa

Pulaski Jan 15th 2020 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by gwlnd (Post 12790098)

Well not getting it renewed is not an option, and the problems will be worse if you have an expired passport, or if you are forced to renew it at an inconvenient time.

Under your circumstances, if I didn't think I could avoid a checkpoint for 10-14 days, I would carry a photocopy of my passport, including the visa page and current entry stamp, and also of the application form. I would also print my I-94 record and carry that too.

If you are particularly concerned, you could get the passport copy notarized, which should only cost a few dollars. As you're on a J-1 visa you should also carry documentation linked to the project/ program that you are involved with, including contact details for the management office.

gwlnd Jan 15th 2020 6:12 pm

I think that might be the way, I'm pretty sure a border agent told me there was a form I could get for these few weeks, I would be able to avoid them, but I have a friend visiting from England and I want to show him more of Az than just Tucson and tombstone is a fun visit but I'm pretty sure there is a checkpoint on the way.

gwlnd Jan 15th 2020 6:13 pm

It annoys me greatly that they've centralised things and I can't just go to Washington and make a city break out of it.

Pulaski Jan 15th 2020 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by gwlnd (Post 12790189)
I think that might be the way, I'm pretty sure a border agent told me there was a form I could get for these few weeks, I would be able to avoid them, but I have a friend visiting from England and I want to show him more of Az than just Tucson and tombstone is a fun visit but I'm pretty sure there is a checkpoint on the way.

How long is your friend coming for? If your passport doesn't expire until April then you have a crap-load of time before or after your friend comes! .... Unless your friend is arriving before the end of January and staying until April. :confused:

Originally Posted by gwlnd (Post 12790190)
It annoys me greatly that they've centralised things and I can't just go to Washington and make a city break out of it.

As the sadly-missed Ian might have said if he was still posting on BE, the issuance of passports is not arranged for your convenience. Deal with it. :lol:

gwlnd Jan 15th 2020 6:22 pm

It's complicated by the need to fly to Florida in March and then home in May. If I renew in February once he has gone, I'm cutting it fine for March. If I renew after my trip to Florida I'm cutting it fine for my flight home in the summer.

Pulaski Jan 15th 2020 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by gwlnd (Post 12790201)
It's complicated by the need to fly to Florida in March and then home in May. If I renew in February once he has gone, I'm cutting it fine for March. If I renew after my trip to Florida I'm cutting it fine for my flight home in the summer.

I think you need to redefine what you mean by "cutting it fine". If you send a passport application off today, this afternoon, (January 15th) by courier, your new passport would likely be in your hands by around January 26th-27th., i.e. less than two weeks from today, and quite possibly sooner!

My new passport came back on the eighth day, i.e. mailed in Tuesday, back in my hands in the US on Wednesday of the next week, but the application was mailed in the UK, so you might add an extra day for transatlantic FedEx service.

gwlnd Jan 15th 2020 7:19 pm

That puts my mind at ease a bit, I was quoted 4-6 weeks. Thanks for your info and sharing of experience.

MidAtlantic Jan 15th 2020 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by gwlnd (Post 12790220)
That puts my mind at ease a bit, I was quoted 4-6 weeks. Thanks for your info and sharing of experience.

Do some searching here and you will find that it is the common experience to get a replacement back in 10-14 days. This is one case where centralization has improved the service!