Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Travel to/from USA-UK

Travel to/from USA-UK

Old Sep 28th 2010, 4:24 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel to/from USA-UK

Originally Posted by Desperate Dan
On entering the UK, you and your husband can join either queue i.e the EU or non-EU lines. Or at least you can at Heathrow - there is a sign at the beginning of the line stating this (but if, in doubt, ask one of the attendants - that's my wife and I did because it seemed so unlikely!). As for the US, my experience is that you can only queue together in the non-US line (but I don't know about the status of PLRs). Actually, it was quite an eye-opener for my wife when we went through the non-US line together at Logan airport (Boston) - she got to experience first-hand how unbelievably rude, aggressive and offensive the CBP officials who monitor the queues are.
Originally Posted by Lissbovavd
Unfortunately, I can only attest to your last sentence there.
It often seems to me that a substantial number of the CBP agents at US POE´s have been trained to discourage as many "alien" visitors as possible to come back to the US by being as nasty as possible.
I find this highly regrettable, as it certainly is perfectly feasible for immigration and customs officers in any country to be strict and correct without behaving in a downright insulting fashion.
Dan singled out those who manage the queues at Logan. I agree - they're complete knobs. (I've flown into Logan probably 30 times now and it always seem to be the case). Contrast this with my experiences with the officers who sit in the little booth-y things. I've found them to be mainly freindly and welcoming at BOS and, at worst, just kind of 'neutral'. I'm assuming that YMMV depending on which airports you fly into - I'd be surprised if they were all the same (have also flown internationally into MCO, MIA, JFK, EWR, PHX and LAX - but none often enough to form a real opinion on how they treat people).
Old Sep 28th 2010, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

Desperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really nice

On the rudeness front, this article in the FT brought it up recently - at least, my experiences meant that I got the answer before the end!
Old Sep 28th 2010, 4:48 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desperate Dan
On the rudeness front, this article in the FT brought it up recently - at least, my experiences meant that I got the answer before the end!
You mean the rudeness of knowingly traveling without the correct visa?
Old Sep 28th 2010, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

Lissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really nice

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
Some of the officers in Gatwick can be overly officious too.
Yes, unfortunately you are right. It is a well-known fact that the attitude of some UK Customs and Immigrations staff at times can be pretty obnoxious, especially so when dealing with non-EU citizens.
Whatever the country involved, overly surly and outright rude customs and immigration staff is always extremely bad PR for the country concerned...
Old Sep 28th 2010, 9:07 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
Some of the officers in Gatwick can be overly officious too.
Yes...they detained a friend of mine overnight last year (an American who had been visiting France and came over for a weekend in London) and treated her terribly before putting her on a plane back to (the wrong part of) France. We both filed complaints but nothing happened.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

Lissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really nice

Originally Posted by avanutria
Yes...they detained a friend of mine overnight last year (an American who had been visiting France and came over for a weekend in London) and treated her terribly before putting her on a plane back to (the wrong part of) France. We both filed complaints but nothing happened.
Sorry to hear about that ghastly experience.
The UK is, I´m afraid, in a league of its own when it comes to the way many non-EU citizens are being treated at the POE.
Most other EU countries are far, far better in this particular respect, I´m glad to say.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lissbovavd
The UK is, I´m afraid, in a league of its own when it comes to the way many non-EU citizens are being treated at the POE.
My married-in relatives have all had positive experiences (11 separate occasions AFAICR at LHR, LGW, and BRS), but then they all had the correct paperwork and backup documentation (never needed) which is always a good start.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 11:29 pm
Saxon

TerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really nice

I'll be travelling to the UK in a year or two with my USC nephew - we'll both use the slow lane (ie 'non-EU' in the UK), I expect, so I don't lose him.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

SEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to behold

I am UKC on a GC, wife is USC -- on dozens and dozens of flights we have taken back and forth, we have always gone into both the UK (nearly always LHR) and the US through the locals entrance.

I think only once did the person at LHR give us the raised eyebrow, and that's all it was, a raised eyebrow.

Coming into the US it's never been questioned even slightly -- I think for the reason mentioned above, that the US passport trumps all other considerations.