Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Travel in usa/canada by a novice and his wife

Travel in usa/canada by a novice and his wife

Old Jul 16th 2005, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

Collen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travel in usa/canada by a novice and his wife

We have a Grandson in Boston Ma and a daughter in Cranbrook BC. We would like to visit both of them. Wife will not fly. So we propose to cross the Atlantic on a freighter and then travel by train. Firstly from Richmond to Boston staying in Boston for a while to observe the 'fall' and then Boston - Chicago - Spokane.Son-in-law will meet us at Spokane. We hope to make our return journey via Canadian Pacific; Vancover or Jasper to Montreal and then Montreal back to Boston,exactly how we're not sure yet! Does anyone have experience of such journeys. Should one be content with the basic service or is it worthwhile upgrading to 'bedrooms' on the longer journeys? Is it possible to buy long distance tickets and break the journey for a few days? One possible route from Boston to Chicago goes via Washing but the Changeover time is just 2 hours.Any help tips would be much appreciated. Maybe Ishould add I am 74 and my wife a little younger - we are both fit
Old Jul 16th 2005, 10:30 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel in usa/canada by a novice and his wife

Originally Posted by Collen
We have a Grandson in Boston Ma and a daughter in Cranbrook BC. We would like to visit both of them. Wife will not fly. So we propose to cross the Atlantic on a freighter and then travel by train. Firstly from Richmond to Boston staying in Boston for a while to observe the 'fall' and then Boston - Chicago - Spokane.Son-in-law will meet us at Spokane. We hope to make our return journey via Canadian Pacific; Vancover or Jasper to Montreal and then Montreal back to Boston,exactly how we're not sure yet! Does anyone have experience of such journeys. Should one be content with the basic service or is it worthwhile upgrading to 'bedrooms' on the longer journeys? Is it possible to buy long distance tickets and break the journey for a few days? One possible route from Boston to Chicago goes via Washing but the Changeover time is just 2 hours.Any help tips would be much appreciated. Maybe Ishould add I am 74 and my wife a little younger - we are both fit
You are ambitious. More power to you.

My only input is that it is definitely worth getting the sleeper on the cross country train trips. At some point during the three days you will want to stretch out flat, believe me! And I'm fairly sure you can break the journey, but better check with Amtrak.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...mtrak/HomePage

Oh and here's your Amtrak link, in case you haven't got it already. Should gives details on routes, prices, etc.
Old Jul 17th 2005, 12:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Travel in usa/canada by a novice and his wife

Would you be able to use the VWP?

• Entering the United States aboard an air or sea carrier that has agreed to participate in the program. This includes aircraft of a U.S. corporation that has entered into an agreement with the Department of Homeland Security to carry passengers under the Visa Waiver Program. Note: Other private or official aircraft or vessels do not meet this requirement.

I would allow plenty of time between trains and check the distances if changing stations.

I think I saw somebody who came over on the QE2, a bit pricier.

Your wife is not an Arsenal supporter is she?