Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Travel to the UK by Icelandair

Travel to the UK by Icelandair

Old Nov 22nd 2009, 1:40 am
Just Joined

AlexCo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travel to the UK by Icelandair

Did anybody fly Icelandair between US and UK?

How would you evaluate your experience with them?

What is the purpose of a 50-min intermediate stop in MAN before departing for the final destination?
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 2:29 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel to the UK by Icelandair

Originally Posted by AlexCo
What is the purpose of a 50-min intermediate stop in MAN before departing for the final destination?
Most likely, to allow passengers to board in Manchester without having to travel to London. Convenient for them really, since the flight passes right over them.

Ian
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 3:14 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Some one in Moving back to the UK section moved back to UK flying Icelandic air, if you search over there you might find info about it.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 3:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlexCo
Did anybody fly Icelandair between US and UK?

How would you evaluate your experience with them?

I've flown them between the US and mainland Europe, but it's been a while. They were quite good.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

We have flown with them a few times between Boston and Glasgow. It has been a few years ago now though. Service not that great. Getting drinks practically thrown at you by Grunhilde, her with the earphone hairdo. Food, a choice between fish and fish or vegetarian. Not all on the same flight. It might have improved since then.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Some one in Moving back to the UK section moved back to UK flying Icelandic air, if you search over there you might find info about it.
I flew back to the UK on Icelandair - it was really good. It was a night flight to Reykjavik, where I stopped for a couple of nights, and then an early morning flight to London. I got a one-way ticket for $350.

Meals are not complimentary - cold drinks are. No frills, but I'd fly with them again.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 1:39 pm
Just Joined

stevie123 is an unknown quantity at this point

I flew Icelandair from Boston to the UK a good few years ago. The service was actually not bad, and really quite cheap. The pain was the travel time. I flew from Orlando to Boston, then boarded Icelandair, where we flew to Reykjavik. There was something like a 3 hour layover there, and then re-boarded to get to London. Altogether, I think it was about 14 hours of travel. The hardest part is that each leg is not quite long enough to get a decent amount of sleep through the night.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevie123
I flew Icelandair from Boston to the UK a good few years ago. The service was actually not bad, and really quite cheap. The pain was the travel time. I flew from Orlando to Boston, then boarded Icelandair, where we flew to Reykjavik. There was something like a 3 hour layover there, and then re-boarded to get to London. Altogether, I think it was about 14 hours of travel. The hardest part is that each leg is not quite long enough to get a decent amount of sleep through the night.
I did the exact same flight several years ago. I quite liked them.

Plus they were flexible. On the evening I was meant to fly, a huge hurricance and storm was coming through. I was in Vermont and needed to drive 4-hours (through the storm and in the pitch black) to get to Logan. They were cancelling all flights at the time I called and they said it was incredibly unlikely my flight would go. Based on that, I didn't drive and planned to go next morning.

Trouble was, my flight did actually go since the weather cleared up in Boston in time

But they were real nice about it, and just put me on the next flight. Didn't charge me anything extra.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

Bladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of light

The annoying thing is that you must exit the plane an clear customs and immigration in Iceland during the layover. They confiscate drinks that you have actually bought on the plane, and x-ray all your hand luggage even though it has just cleared US security

I dunno if this is the case on the UK flights but it is the case when you fly to Scandinavia.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

RadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to all

Don't fly with with them if anyone in your party is tall. Unless you plan to visit Iceland as you have no other choice. My wife and I flew with them once to Glasgow (via Boston) and it is the most cramped I have ever been on a plane! It was miserable.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

I agree with the leg and space comments, but a business class seat is no more expensive than a premium economy seat on BA, so its probably worth the extra few dollars,
Old Nov 24th 2009, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

RadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to all

That'll teach me to go steerage! If that's the case about business class then I may consider them again in the future.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

thats the way i would recommend for sure. certainly, the service is light years better than in economy.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

AlexCo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for your replies. I'm going to try this airline soon and let you know about my impression.