Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Travel From UK

Travel From UK

Old Oct 9th 2020, 8:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel From UK

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
This. OP do NOT underestimate the size of a hospital bill in the US. If you have a hospital stay you will be looking at a minimum of tens of thousands of dollars, unless you have insurance.
I spent three nights in a small local hospital almost 12 years ago, requiring minimal care - I was there so I could be on an antibiotic drip, and with about the most minor surgery you could imagine (two "incison and clean" cuts), and came out with a bill for over $20,000!
Old Oct 9th 2020, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute

It would be “easier” (for want of a better word) for them to visit you in the UK. They would have to quarantine as it stands at the moment (but they could do that at your house) and the latest I saw on the news they are hoping to abolish quarantine and replace it with a rapid test system at the airport. For the cost of 2 weeks in Barbados you could probably pay for their flights to the UK, if cost is the issue preventing them from traveling to you.

There are thousands of us in the same or similar boat. In fact I don’t think there is anyone left in the country who has not been negatively affected by this in some way. I don’t know if I will ever see my mother again. Had someone said to me last year that in 2020 I would be in a situation where I may never see my mother again I would be never have believed them. We have had the double whammy of COVID travel restrictions and also my serious illness.
Old Oct 9th 2020, 10:50 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I spent three nights in a small local hospital almost 12 years ago, requiring minimal care - I was there so I could be on an antibiotic drip, and with about the most minor surgery you could imagine (two "incison and clean" cuts), and came out with a bill for over $20,000!

You should have taken your own aspirin...

I saw the bill for my son's birth - I ended up with a c section. It was the cost of a decent-sized house. Thankfully I had insurance at that point.
Old Oct 9th 2020, 11:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

There are a lot of us in similar situations here in the US with kids in the UK that we can't visit. It has been more than a year now since i hugged my son, his trip here was canceled back in March.

Also we have grandkids that are only 60 miles away but with grandad being high risk and grandkids going to day care we cannot take the risk of him getting sick. It really sucks but we do the Zoom / FaceTime/Skype thing every week and sometimes more often. Something is better than nothing!

Sometimes a good plan will work but the way everything changes on a daily basis you have to weigh up your options.

And yes I believe Florida is probably very high risk for Covid infection right now. As much or more than the UK!
Old Oct 11th 2020, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
And yes I believe Florida is probably very high risk for Covid infection right now. As much or more than the UK!
The infection rate in Florida is currently one of the highest in the US.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...cans-by-state/
Old Oct 12th 2020, 10:24 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
There are a lot of us in similar situations here in the US with kids in the UK that we can't visit. It has been more than a year now since i hugged my son, his trip here was canceled back in March.

Also we have grandkids that are only 60 miles away but with grandad being high risk and grandkids going to day care we cannot take the risk of him getting sick. It really sucks but we do the Zoom / FaceTime/Skype thing every week and sometimes more often. Something is better than nothing!

Sometimes a good plan will work but the way everything changes on a daily basis you have to weigh up your options.

Likewise. Haven't seen my son since last Christmas, March, summer and Oct trips cancelled and it doesn't look like this Christmmas is happening either the way things are going (some UK to US, some vice versa, uni holidays). With quarantines on each end, it just isn't possible even aside from any risks.

We chat often, but of course it's not the same and I worry about his morale more than mine, being a mum.

Here's hoping for a vaccine in 2021.
Old Oct 13th 2020, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

Bruiser is an unknown quantity at this point

The Proclamation has the "14 days in a 3rd country" loophole, i.e. provided you haven't been in Schengen / UK / IE in the last 14 days then you can enter the US. The challenge is picking the right 3rd country. Best check the data here to see how places are trending. I know Antigua is allowing UK and US in/ out - you need a negative COVID test to enter.

Whatever you do, make sure you have ample paper evidence for CBP to prove 14 days in the "3rd country"