Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

travel restrictions for Europeans?

travel restrictions for Europeans?

Old Jan 18th 2008, 9:58 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: travel restrictions for Europeans?

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Yeah, because you used to be able to go to just about anywhere in North America with just your birth certificate and a driver's license. The whole snotty attitude that Brits are so much more sophisticated because they're more likely to own passports - firstly, a huge number of people only go to Marbella/Sharm/Tallinn and stick in their English speaking burger and chips ghettos, and they're not learning more than an American visitor to Lake Tahoe. Secondly, if there were ID cards in the UK that could be used for travel through the EU and neighbor states, then much fewer British people would have passports.

All you're really saying is that you can't swing a cat through Europe without it going through customs, and that the UK doesn't have ID cards. Whoop-de-doo.
I disagree. I find Brits are just more widely travelled.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 10:07 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Well travel is *much* cheaper from the UK.
Tell me where you can get a week's self-catering + flight for a couple hundred bucks. I can't even stay at home for as little as some of those trips cost.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 11:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Well travel is *much* cheaper from the UK.
Tell me where you can get a week's self-catering + flight for a couple hundred bucks. I can't even stay at home for as little as some of those trips cost.
tell me about it, a weekend trip to maine is $100 in petrol, tolls and a sarnie on the way up
Old Jan 20th 2008, 1:49 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
I have found that people in England are just as surprised that Americans have so little as Americans are that the English get so much.
Not sex. Vacation time.

It seems there is a reciprocal agreement on cultural knowledge also.
Well I for one am happy there's a reciprocal agreement on sex !!!!
Old Jan 20th 2008, 2:48 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Yeah, because you used to be able to go to just about anywhere in North America with just your birth certificate and a driver's license. The whole snotty attitude that Brits are so much more sophisticated because they're more likely to own passports - firstly, a huge number of people only go to Marbella/Sharm/Tallinn and stick in their English speaking burger and chips ghettos, and they're not learning more than an American visitor to Lake Tahoe. Secondly, if there were ID cards in the UK that could be used for travel through the EU and neighbor states, then much fewer British people would have passports.

All you're really saying is that you can't swing a cat through Europe without it going through customs, and that the UK doesn't have ID cards. Whoop-de-doo.
Is a load of bollards.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 5:43 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
What do you mean by widely travelled?
Old Jan 20th 2008, 11:38 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Massive fu/k-off sweeping generalisation minute:

Dave the Brit: Tends to be more exposed to other cultures due to proximity, EU, etc. The everyday association of England with "places abroad" has become more commonplace these days. There is now a tangible connection to a blob of foreign countries, which before, were seen as just that. Foreign. Not to be trusted. Nasty. Urgh. Dave really can't avoid the intrusion of things foreign into his everyday existance. He sees England become Euro, bit by bit.
Dale the Yank: Its a toss-up wether he lives within travel distance of either a) a banana republic (Mexico) or b) Canada (banana's won't grow). Chances are, he won't live anywhere near either as the US is what we Doctors call "very, very big". That and the US doesn't generally welcome foreign culture into the family room. So Dale tends to subsist on a domestic media diet and is a bit oblivious to trans-Atlantic goings-on. He sees America become more of a political fortress, bit by bit.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 11:44 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Massive fu/k-off sweeping generalisation minute:

Dave the Brit: Tends to be more exposed to other cultures due to proximity, EU, etc. The everyday association of England with "places abroad" has become more commonplace these days. There is now a tangible connection to a blob of foreign countries, which before, were seen as just that. Foreign. Not to be trusted. Nasty. Urgh. Dave really can't avoid the intrusion of things foreign into his everyday existance. He sees England become Euro, bit by bit.
Dale the Yank: Its a toss-up wether he lives within travel distance of either a) a banana republic (Mexico) or b) Canada (banana's won't grow). Chances are, he won't live anywhere near either as the US is what we Doctors call "very, very big". That and the US doesn't generally welcome foreign culture into the family room. So Dale tends to subsist on a domestic media diet and is a bit oblivious to trans-Atlantic goings-on. He sees America become more of a political fortress, bit by bit.
You missed your calling-you should see if they have openings this fall for the moderator at the national electoral debates.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 5:26 pm
gurt mint nit?

Originally Posted by cindyabs
You missed your calling-you should see if they have openings this fall for the moderator at the national electoral debates.
Do they let Buddhists do that?
Old Jan 20th 2008, 6:20 pm
Sursum corda

Do they let Buddhists do that?
Depends on where they hold the debate.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 7:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting - I'm writing a capstone on the travel industry right now and have run across several articles, etc. related to this topic.

Some of you might find the facts here interesting - I'll just quote one that's referring to the travel industry:

"Did You Know that the just a 1 percent increase in U.S. worldwide market share would equal a 7.6 million increase in visitors, a $12.3 billion increase in expenditures, 151,000 new jobs, a $3.3 billion increase in payroll, and $2.1 billion more in federal, state and local tax revenue?"
Old Jan 20th 2008, 7:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Flies in the face of this now doesn't it?

http://www.tia.org/pressmedia/pressrec.asp?Item=865
Old Jan 20th 2008, 7:04 pm
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by KJ2007
Interesting - I'm writing a capstone on the travel industry right now and have run across several articles, etc. related to this topic.

Some of you might find the facts here interesting - I'll just quote one that's referring to the travel industry:

"Did You Know that the just a 1 percent increase in U.S. worldwide market share would equal a 7.6 million increase in visitors, a $12.3 billion increase in expenditures, 151,000 new jobs, a $3.3 billion increase in payroll, and $2.1 billion more in federal, state and local tax revenue?"
How about just starting with letting me keep my job for 10 more years.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 7:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by cindyabs
How about just starting with letting me keep my job for 10 more years.
Hopefully things will continue to turn around before we fall into another recession ...
Old Jan 20th 2008, 7:14 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=KJ2007;5815042]Flies in the face of this now doesn't it?

"the United States should launch an international promotion campaign to better communicate U.S. travel policies and attract more international visitors."

Eh............

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.