Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

travel restrictions for Europeans?

travel restrictions for Europeans?

Old Jan 17th 2008, 12:05 am
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: travel restrictions for Europeans?

What amazes me is some of the data quoted in the artilcles. 75% and 60% succes of getting devices through LAX and Chicago respectively by undercover staff??
What was it like before the security was racheted up? And presumably that is for departing from those airports? Is the European data similar? Or are LHR et al keeping the devices out???
I was subjected to a secondary the other day and it didn't reassure me at all.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 12:17 am
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lofty79
According to this!
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...&sn=003&sc=774

and also

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...&sn=012&sc=310
Old Jan 17th 2008, 2:00 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Xenophobia is rife in this country.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 2:39 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Last February I flew into San Francisco and the immigration agent opened my passport, flipped a few pages and then asked where my visa was. I thought that was a bit strange seeing as how she was looking at an American passport. I politely asked if I needed one. She looked a bit closer and then said, 'Sorry' and handed it back and shrugged. 'It's been a long day.'
Old Jan 17th 2008, 3:03 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
Xenophobia is rife in this country.
Its those Damn Foreigners!
Old Jan 17th 2008, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotch03
Tourism is booming - mainly due to the weak dollar.
Gordon Bean's (sorry Brown's) "Air Passenger Duty Tax" of $80 on Long Haul Departures (Coach Class) out of the UK, has helped put the kabosh on Brits travelling long distances out of the UK.:curse:

I flew first class in September, out of Heathrow, and my wife and I had to pay $160 each in APDT - (thanks to a connection in the Airline).

Jim.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 5:07 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Meh, airlines don't pay tax on fuel, do they? Air travel is still cheap.
Originally Posted by fatbrit
Perhaps foreign visitors could apply for their visa a year in advance (like immigrants), and then they'd have enough time to check them out?
If our clients could plan all their requirements a year in advance, that would definitely make some of my colleagues happy!
Old Jan 17th 2008, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Elvira
I say we just implement ourself, anything that they implement.

Make them apply for visa's to come to Europe. Granted, most Americans don't have passports or even know where Europe is, but it will certinaly make the big businesses unhappy. And after all, we all know that its the big business that run America.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 7:31 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dh010447
I say we just implement ourself, anything that they implement.

Make them apply for visa's to come to Europe. Granted, most Americans don't have passports or even know where Europe is, but it will certinaly make the big businesses unhappy. And after all, we all know that its the big business that run America.
Baloney.

It's over there >>> somewhere.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 8:10 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Baloney.

It's over there >>> somewhere.
But the passport thing ain't:

UK passports issued
2006: 6.31m
2005: 6.39m
2004: 6.05m
2003: 5.64m
2002: 5.58m
2001: 5.71m
2000: 5.15m

US passports issued
2006: 12.13m
2005: 10,12m
2004: 8.83m
2003: 7.30m
2002: 7.00m
2001: 7,12m
2000: 7.29m

Given the population difference, it's staggering. Interesting to see how the figure peaks from 2004 and the announcement of more restrictive border crossings. The UK one just seems to mirror the general increase in the population.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 8:27 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

But the passport thing ain't:

UK passports issued
2006: 6.31m
2005: 6.39m
2004: 6.05m
2003: 5.64m
2002: 5.58m
2001: 5.71m
2000: 5.15m

US passports issued
2006: 12.13m
2005: 10,12m
2004: 8.83m
2003: 7.30m
2002: 7.00m
2001: 7,12m
2000: 7.29m

Given the population difference, it's staggering. Interesting to see how the figure peaks from 2004 and the announcement of more restrictive border crossings. The UK one just seems to mirror the general increase in the population.
You'll notice I didn't highlight the passport part...

I just saw my first passport in the flesh a few months ago, my parents are going to Mexico and had to get them.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 3:02 am

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
You'll notice I didn't highlight the passport part...

I just saw my first passport in the flesh a few months ago, my parents are going to Mexico and had to get them.
About time you get yourself one the big fella. You're going over to the UK one of these fine days
Old Jan 18th 2008, 3:19 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

You can travel a long, long way without having to have a passport. Granted, this will exclude the rest of North America soon but still, given the average person's finances and time off work, a trip overseas isn't feasible. It's mainly the paid time off work: I have a friend in the UK who's currently visiting wildlife parks in Africa. This would be impossible for most people here. She and her husband are anything BUT well off.

There's a mindset in the UK of "where are you holidaying this year" that there can never be here unless we have the time to do it. I ain't holding my breath, especially now that the worries about the economy have been jacked up so high, and it'll just be another excuse in a few years.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 7:44 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
You can travel a long, long way without having to have a passport. Granted, this will exclude the rest of North America soon but still, given the average person's finances and time off work, a trip overseas isn't feasible. It's mainly the paid time off work: I have a friend in the UK who's currently visiting wildlife parks in Africa. This would be impossible for most people here. She and her husband are anything BUT well off.

There's a mindset in the UK of "where are you holidaying this year" that there can never be here unless we have the time to do it. I ain't holding my breath, especially now that the worries about the economy have been jacked up so high, and it'll just be another excuse in a few years.
I have found that people in England are just as surprised that Americans have so little as Americans are that the English get so much.
Not sex. Vacation time.

It seems there is a reciprocal agreement on cultural knowledge also.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 9:53 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Given the population difference, it's staggering. Interesting to see how the figure peaks from 2004 and the announcement of more restrictive border crossings...
Yeah, because you used to be able to go to just about anywhere in North America with just your birth certificate and a driver's license. The whole snotty attitude that Brits are so much more sophisticated because they're more likely to own passports - firstly, a huge number of people only go to Marbella/Sharm/Tallinn and stick in their English speaking burger and chips ghettos, and they're not learning more than an American visitor to Lake Tahoe. Secondly, if there were ID cards in the UK that could be used for travel through the EU and neighbor states, then much fewer British people would have passports.

All you're really saying is that you can't swing a cat through Europe without it going through customs, and that the UK doesn't have ID cards. Whoop-de-doo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.