Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Travel question

Travel question

Old Jan 25th 2014, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

tailz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travel question

I know this is not exactly a "Moving to USA" question but I hope there is no problem with me asking..

My family and I moved to Kansas end of 2013 and we will be flying our eldest daughter over for a visit in April. She is travelling from London, Heathrow to Kansas City via Toronto Pearson. She will arrive and depart from Terminal 1 in Pearson and I wondered if she still needs to collect her case and drop it off in the same way as International though US airports? I have looked through the Pearson web site but can't find any info.

Anyone offer any advice?

Thanks

Tony
Old Jan 25th 2014, 5:21 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel question

I believe so. Toronto, in common with most major airports in Canada operates as a "domestic" US airport, with passengers clearing US immigration before departing on flights to the US, in the same way that you would if arriving in the US directly before catching a connecting flight.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

Pearson has a guide to transiting their terminals

http://www.torontopearson.com/Connecting.aspx#

it explains step by step what she will need to do

Step 1 - Arrive at Toronto Pearson

Your flight will be arriving at Terminal 1.

Step 2 - Confirm your gate number

Once you're in the terminal, look for your departing flight on the flight information screens and double check that your "A" gate hasn't changed.

Step 3 - Go to Canada Customs

Look for the A gates signs and follow them. This can be a bit of a long walk, so take advantage of the moving sidewalks.

Step 4 - Pick up your baggage

Follow the signs for Baggage Claim and pick up your baggage. You'll need to take it with you to recheck it.

Step 5 - Recheck your baggage

Drop off your baggage at the connection drop-off belt.

Step 6 - Take the LINK Bus to Terminal 3

Your connecting flight will be leaving from Terminal 3, and the quickest way to get there is the wheelchair accessible Terminal Link. The bus picks up guests 24/7 from the Departures level curb of Terminal 1 and travel time is approximately 6 minutes. Follow the A gates signs to the bus stop.

Step 7 - Pick up your baggage

Follow the signs for the A gates to the connections carousel and pick up your baggage. You'll need to take it with you to recheck it.

Step 8 - Go to US Customs

Proceed to US Customs and Border Protection.

Step 9 - Drop off your baggage

Drop off your baggage at the baggage drop-off belt.

Step 10 - Go through security screening

Proceed to the security screening checkpoint.

Step 11 - Confirm your gate number

Look for your departing flight on the flight information screens and double check that your gate hasn't changed.

Step 12 - Head to your departure gate

There are various flight information screens throughout the terminal that will point you in the direction of your departing gate.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

tailz is an unknown quantity at this point

That's great thanks, don't know how I missed that.

Originally Posted by Vimto
Pearson has a guide to transiting their terminals

http://www.torontopearson.com/Connecting.aspx#

it explains step by step what she will need to do

Step 1 - Arrive at Toronto Pearson

Your flight will be arriving at Terminal 1.

Step 2 - Confirm your gate number

Once you're in the terminal, look for your departing flight on the flight information screens and double check that your "A" gate hasn't changed.

Step 3 - Go to Canada Customs

Look for the A gates signs and follow them. This can be a bit of a long walk, so take advantage of the moving sidewalks.

Step 4 - Pick up your baggage

Follow the signs for Baggage Claim and pick up your baggage. You'll need to take it with you to recheck it.

Step 5 - Recheck your baggage

Drop off your baggage at the connection drop-off belt.

Step 6 - Take the LINK Bus to Terminal 3

Your connecting flight will be leaving from Terminal 3, and the quickest way to get there is the wheelchair accessible Terminal Link. The bus picks up guests 24/7 from the Departures level curb of Terminal 1 and travel time is approximately 6 minutes. Follow the A gates signs to the bus stop.

Step 7 - Pick up your baggage

Follow the signs for the A gates to the connections carousel and pick up your baggage. You'll need to take it with you to recheck it.

Step 8 - Go to US Customs

Proceed to US Customs and Border Protection.

Step 9 - Drop off your baggage

Drop off your baggage at the baggage drop-off belt.

Step 10 - Go through security screening

Proceed to the security screening checkpoint.

Step 11 - Confirm your gate number

Look for your departing flight on the flight information screens and double check that your gate hasn't changed.

Step 12 - Head to your departure gate

There are various flight information screens throughout the terminal that will point you in the direction of your departing gate.
Old Jan 26th 2014, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

No problem, happy to help when I can
Old Jan 26th 2014, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

We flew through Pearson last year and it was a breeze. You DO NOT pick up your cases if you have a connecting flight. The Customs officer will show you a picture of your case(s) for you to confirm that they are, in fact, yours and then you're on your way! There is a small wait for your name to appear on a screen in the waiting area and they you're off to duty free, catch your flight or whatever.