Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Travel Question

Wikiposts

Travel Question

Old Feb 22nd 2006, 5:26 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Travel Question

Hello people

I'm trying to book a flight to the west coast for next weekend.
I was hoping to pay $300 but the cheapest I can now find is a very disappointing $420. However if I book the same flight and hire a car on travelocity I can get the whole lot for $340.

I have absolutely no need for the car but are there any catches here and will I be penalised if I don't even pick the car up.

If anyone has any experience of these deals I'd love to here from you
If you have no experience of these deals and just want to indulge in some smutty banter could I respectfully request that you go elsewhere.

Thanks
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 5:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel Question

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Hello people

I'm trying to book a flight to the west coast for next weekend.
I was hoping to pay $300 but the cheapest I can now find is a very disappointing $420. However if I book the same flight and hire a car on travelocity I can get the whole lot for $340.

I have absolutely no need for the car but are there any catches here and will I be penalised if I don't even pick the car up.

If anyone has any experience of these deals I'd love to here from you
If you have no experience of these deals and just want to indulge in some smutty banter could I respectfully request that you go elsewhere.

Thanks
Right - smutty banter...oh sorry!

Assuming that you get a voucher for the car then cant see how they would be able to charge you anything? Worst case take it to the hotel and leave it there for a couple of days!

PS - have you checked the tax - i got a deal i couldnt believe and they hid the tax till the bitter end!!
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 5:34 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
Right - smutty banter...oh sorry!

Assuming that you get a voucher for the car then cant see how they would be able to charge you anything? Worst case take it to the hotel and leave it there for a couple of days!

PS - have you checked the tax - i got a deal i couldnt believe and they hid the tax till the bitter end!!
Yep - the taxes and fees seem to be included.
Aye - if I get the car it will be left at someone's house for the duration of my stay.
I'm still confused as to how they can give a discount for giving me something extra - why not just give me the flight ??? Muppets
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 5:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Aye - if I get the car it will be left at someone's house for the duration of my stay.
I'm still confused as to how they can give a discount for giving me something extra - why not just give me the flight ??? Muppets

No idea - maybe they are on kick backs and hope to get extra charges on the car - which site you using out of interest?
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 5:37 am
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by Big D
No idea - maybe they are on kick backs and hope to get extra charges on the car - which site you using out of interest?
Travelocity.
I could also get a hotel + flight for less than the flight. I can kind of understand that one as I'm liable to spend cash in the hotel, but the car one is a puzzle.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 5:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=BigDavyG

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Party pooper
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 6:23 am
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

They think you will take out insurance which adds a big mark up!
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 6:25 am
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by Kate2112
They think you will take out insurance which adds a big mark up!
Is insurance not included in car hire over here, or do you use your own ??
If I had to take out insurance is the option still open to me just to forget about the car then without penalties ??
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 6:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Is insurance not included in car hire over here, or do you use your own ??
If I had to take out insurance is the option still open to me just to forget about the car then without penalties ??
Your own car ins. normally covers rentals too and you are covered by most credit card companies.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 6:33 am
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Your own car ins. normally covers rentals too and you are covered by most credit card companies.
Looking into this now.
I do not have my own car ins amd the credit card stuff depends on the issuer. Given that I would only be driving the car to and from the airport (about 15 miles each way apparently) in wondering if I would be ok to rely just on the credit card.
If I could book the rental+flight package then just forget about the car with no penalties I'd have it book and all by now but with the price being so low there must be a catch.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 6:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Looking into this now.
I do not have my own car ins amd the credit card stuff depends on the issuer. Given that I would only be driving the car to and from the airport (about 15 miles each way apparently) in wondering if I would be ok to rely just on the credit card.
If I could book the rental+flight package then just forget about the car with no penalties I'd have it book and all by now but with the price being so low there must be a catch.
Yep check with your credit card company and find out just what they will cover. When you rent a car they usually try to charge you CDW insurance and this is extra so check with the CC company that they cover this. Do you have an US licence if not you might mention this to them also. Car rental is usually more if you are not using a drivers licence from that country.

If you don't collect the car I am sure that you are not going to be charged extra for not using it, but hey you never know here do you?
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 7:07 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If you don't collect the car I am sure that you are not going to be charged extra for not using it, but hey you never know here do you?
Could and probably would get a penalty because the cars already booked ain't it...and it's the small print in which they get you.

Ain't there a phone number you could ring the place up and find out?
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: Travel Question

Try this;

http://travel.yahoo.com

Try for flights out of Midway, as well as O'Hare.

Jim.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 7:13 am
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by Bob
Could and probably would get a penalty because the cars already booked ain't it...and it's the small print in which they get you.

Ain't there a phone number you could ring the place up and find out?
Its travelocity - not sure if there would be any point in getting a call center punter - but I found this. What do you reckon - seems fairly explicit that I can't get stroked to me.

We sell packages, which allows us to offer excellent value to our customers. We cannot unbundle our offerings. While you will not be penalized for any unused portion of your package, please be aware that if your travel package includes airline reservations, your return flight will be subject to cancellation if you do not take your departure flight. We cannot refund you for any unused portion of the package
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 7:15 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Its travelocity - not sure if there would be any point in getting a call center punter - but I found this. What do you reckon - seems fairly explicit that I can't get stroked to me.
That sounds pretty good...might want to print it off and take it with you just in case

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.