Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Travel insurance vs. health insurance eligibility?

Travel insurance vs. health insurance eligibility?

Old Feb 26th 2017, 8:46 am
Just Joined

WS2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travel insurance vs. health insurance eligibility?

Hello, I have a US green card through marriage but have had to spend a lot of time recently in the UK for personal and professional reasons, although these things should be resolved after a few months and my wife and I will then be settled again, together, either in the US or UK. To cut a long story short, my wife has health insurance and I don’t. I am planning to go to the US for two months and then back to the UK for a month, then back to the US for a couple of months. Hopefully after that my health insurance situation will be worked out through employment. But in the short term, I’m not sure what I should do. Am I eligible for travel insurance in the US as a US green card holder, even though technically I’ll only be there for a two-month visit? Certainly travel insurance would be a lot cheaper than US medical insurance. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 8:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Travel insurance vs. health insurance eligibility?

As you reside in the US then you buy travel insurance for visiting other countries.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 9:15 am
Just Joined

Hi, thanks, but currently I am actually residing (temporarily) in the UK. I have some temp work here and currently some NHS appointments. I have never resided in the US for very long as I had to come back for a short while soon after getting my green card. I don't want to sign up to a year of US health insurance (which I presume is the requirement?) if I only need two months and then have work in the US with health insurance included. Or if my work brings my wife to the UK. Everything is in flux but insurance seems to be very black and white.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

There are short-term health insurance plans available, for those in your situation. Give one of the big companies a ring.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 12:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by WS2000
Hi, thanks, but currently I am actually residing (temporarily) in the UK. I have some temp work here and currently some NHS appointments. I have never resided in the US for very long as I had to come back for a short while soon after getting my green card. I don't want to sign up to a year of US health insurance (which I presume is the requirement?) if I only need two months and then have work in the US with health insurance included. Or if my work brings my wife to the UK. Everything is in flux but insurance seems to be very black and white.
You are residing (permanently) in the US.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your replies, Carcajou and Boiler. Sorry it’s taken me weeks to reply. Life is hectic! I have not resolved this problem yet. Good to know there are short-term health plans available for people in my position. I will do some online searches when I get a spare hour or two to do so. Any recommendations as a starting point would be helpful, thanks. Have a nice day!