Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Travel insurance for a trip back to the UK

Travel insurance for a trip back to the UK

Old Nov 6th 2005, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of
Default Travel insurance for a trip back to the UK

Does anyone have any recommendations of who to get travel insurance with for a short trip back to the UK? Also, would be interested to know if people think that this is necesaary and if they buy it before they go back home. I'm an L-2 trailing spouse and have been in the US for 14 months.

Cheers

Lottie
Old Nov 6th 2005, 10:56 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel insurance for a trip back to the UK

Originally Posted by Lottie
Does anyone have any recommendations of who to get travel insurance with for a short trip back to the UK? Also, would be interested to know if people think that this is necesaary and if they buy it before they go back home. I'm an L-2 trailing spouse and have been in the US for 14 months.

Cheers

Lottie

We sell RBC (Royal Bank of Canada) and Travel Guard but there are certainly more out there.
Old Nov 6th 2005, 11:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers

Lottie
Probaby not.

Your House Insurance should cover baggage, money, personal liability.

Your Health Insurance should cover the same range for UK.

And then its down to the bits. Which most people would not be bothered about if they were travelling within the US so it would not seem logical to worry about if you were travelling further.
Old Nov 6th 2005, 11:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler

Your Health Insurance should cover the same range for UK.
A lot of them won't cover care outside of the US...

But chances are, you might have some form of travel insurance from your credit card...

It's worth having though if you miss your flight, airport delays, bad weather etc...
The missus has a friend that got stuck because she just returned the rental car at the airport, missed the connecting flight because there was a air traffic control problem that caused a delay, because it was air traffic and not the airplane company, they wouldn't give her a replacement flight, nor cover cost of getting another rental car to a hotel from airport as it was a 12 hour wait for next connecting flight, nor cover hotel/food...basically she got the shaft and it cost a fair bit, not to mention that she wasn't able to get back to work in time like planned and got in the shite there.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

We have been down this road before and by that what Bob has just said he has said before. When my wife and I went back home for 4 weeks, May/June I enquired about insurance at my local travel agents and was absolutely amazed how cheap it was. I cannot find the paper work but I know it was that cheap I bit their hand off. I could enquire tomorrow if it would help. We had peace of mind when we went.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 2:35 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Your House Insurance should cover baggage, money, personal liability.
That's a pretty broad statement to make.

I would seriously advise anyone to make sure their policy covers any losses to their money/belongings/liabilty should anything happen to it out of the country.

Money first of all is always usually capped at some small denominational amount in the event of a covered loss.

contents to the household (including baggage) must be lost due to a "Covered loss" as stated on the policy, whilst this may include theft, I doubt it includes "lost in trasit somewhere between La Guardia and Rome"

liabilty, Whilse this coverage will extend to ones activities away from the home, I don't think it offers worldwide coverage.
A Personal Liability Umbrella will however.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 4:05 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony126
We have been down this road before and by that what Bob has just said he has said before. When my wife and I went back home for 4 weeks, May/June I enquired about insurance at my local travel agents and was absolutely amazed how cheap it was. I cannot find the paper work but I know it was that cheap I bit their hand off. I could enquire tomorrow if it would help. We had peace of mind when we went.

Exactly! Amazing how some people would refuse to buy it because they wouldn't get the cost of the insurance back!!
I simply tell people it IS optional BUT IF you can afford to throw away 2,3, whatever many thousands of dollars your trip costs fine, otherwise you may want to consider it.
Coverage varies from strictly cancellation insurance to the one with all the bells and whistles. It may be tied to the actual cost of your proposed trip and/or your age.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 10:30 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Manc
That's a pretty broad statement to make.

I would seriously advise anyone to make sure their policy covers any losses to their money/belongings/liabilty should anything happen to it out of the country.

Money first of all is always usually capped at some small denominational amount in the event of a covered loss.

contents to the household (including baggage) must be lost due to a "Covered loss" as stated on the policy, whilst this may include theft, I doubt it includes "lost in trasit somewhere between La Guardia and Rome"

liabilty, Whilse this coverage will extend to ones activities away from the home, I don't think it offers worldwide coverage.
A Personal Liability Umbrella will however.
So you live in New York and are worried about a loss in transit between in this example La Guardia and Rome, but say not between LA and San Fran.

The two main issues is Medical Expenses and Liability. I agree check, I know my wife's arrangements in the US did provide this cover.

I might be concerned about Cancellation and Curtailment, but only in unusual circumstances.

I personally would not buy extra coverage when going to sayLondon rather than New York.

I readily admit that logic and insurance rarely co-incide.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of

That would be fabulous Tony - thank you.

Basically:

a) Want to be covered if anything happens medically to me, this always seems to be a grey area, will the NHS pay for me as I've been out of the country for 14 months?
b) Am taking a boatload of presents home with me, plus expensive wedding outfit which cost hubby an arm and a leg
Old Nov 8th 2005, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

That would be fabulous Tony - thank you.

Basically:

a) Want to be covered if anything happens medically to me, this always seems to be a grey area, will the NHS pay for me as I've been out of the country for 14 months?
b) Am taking a boatload of presents home with me, plus expensive wedding outfit which cost hubby an arm and a leg
I will check on this in the morning for you. Officially you are not entitled to NHS if you have been out of the country that long but am not sure about L-2.

Last edited by tony126; Nov 8th 2005 at 1:50 am.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 2:21 am
Account Closed

I will check on this in the morning for you. Officially you are not entitled to NHS if you have been out of the country that long but am not sure about L-2.
No need to, just search this forum, has been discussed ad nauseum.