Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Travel Insurance - Relocating to the US

Travel Insurance - Relocating to the US

Old May 25th 2011, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

digg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travel Insurance - Relocating to the US

I am moving to the US in the middle of July and would like to purchase some travel insurance to cover my belongings. Basically during transit and at least for the first month or so when I am there. Belongings being clothes, laptop, camera, watch, etc.

I have been living in another European country for the past several years and will leave here in the middle of June. I will return to the UK for a month before heading to the US. As I will soon no longer be a permanent resident of any country it's difficult to get insurance.

Anybody have any advice? Anybody recommend any US travel insurance companies that might be able to help?

Ignore the signature at the bottom... it's not relevant to the US.
Old May 25th 2011, 2:06 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel Insurance - Relocating to the US

Originally Posted by digg
I am moving to the US in the middle of July and would like to purchase some travel insurance to cover my belongings.
I'm not 100%, but I think travel insurance covers the person... not their belongings. I'm not sure it's actually travel insurance that you want.

Ian
Old May 25th 2011, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all

Well, travel insurance also covers belongings that are physically with you (i.e., on the same plane as you, go through check-in with you, etc), up to policy limits.

But, as far as I know, it will only cover you whilst they are with you - you can't leave them behind in the US and go somewhere else and expect the travel insurance to cover you.
Old May 25th 2011, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

digg is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking if I left them in the hostel/temp flat I may have then they would be covered too. In which case it sounds like I need something a bit more comprehensive.
Old May 25th 2011, 7:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Check with the credit card, they might offer some level of travel insurance.