British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   which travel insurance provider would refund air fare if denied entry 2 us? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/travel-insurance-provider-would-refund-air-fare-if-denied-entry-2-us-798211/)

customsquestion May 27th 2013 8:46 am

which travel insurance provider would refund air fare if denied entry 2 us?

I am not planning to travel again for sometime but the recent discussions about travel insurance has got me to thinking about this question.

Are there any policies with i believe the term is "trip interruption provision" so in the event that I were to be turned away at the border i could claim back the x pounds in airfare. HSBC say they don't do it, but apparently some do?

Thanks for the help

customsquestion May 27th 2013 11:58 am

Re: which travel insurance policy would refund air fare if denied entry 2 us?

Mods please amend the title of the post to which travel insurance provider instead of policy. Too much time has passed for me to do it

Thanks

Orangepants May 27th 2013 2:56 pm

Re: which travel insurance provider would refund air fare if denied entry 2 us?

But wouldn't you have to use the flight to get back so you can't claim a refund on a fight that you used? :confused:

Michael May 27th 2013 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Orangepants (Post 10726929)
But wouldn't you have to use the flight to get back so you can't claim a refund on a fight that you used? :confused:

Like any insurance, companies do risk analysis to determine at what price it is profitable to sell a product and may possibly offer different products for different prices. If a company determines that refusal of entry is less than 0.1% but they can charge 50% more for the product, they may possibly provide such a product. There may be clauses in the policy indicating that the person can't be reimbursed if they lie to get approval for ESTA or a B2 visa.

customsquestion May 27th 2013 8:01 pm

Granted but what about the return trip which you don't use and also what if the denial of entry occurred at a pre clearance point such as dublin for instance?

md95065 May 27th 2013 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by customsquestion (Post 10727447)
Granted but what about the return trip which you don't use and also what if the denial of entry occurred at a pre clearance point such as dublin for instance?

If you really want to find out why don't you just try it and see ...

Buy a roundtrip ticket from Dublin to the US, buy travel insurance and then get yourself denied entry at preclearance in Dublin and see what happens.

Life is too short to waste time on every ridiculous hypothetical question that gets posted on an Internet message board.

customsquestion May 27th 2013 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 10727466)
If you really want to find out why don't you just try it and see ...

Buy a roundtrip ticket from Dublin to the US, buy travel insurance and then get yourself denied entry at preclearance in Dublin and see what happens.

Life is too short to waste time on every ridiculous hypothetical question that gets posted on an Internet message board.

Why would i set out to get myself denied entry at dublin just to see what happens? People were posting 2 or 3 weeks ago about denial of entry and travel insurance situation and a mod actually posted about being denied entry at South Africa and being able to claim that back but she never said which company carried the policy but it was remarked upon that not of all of them do have that protection.

Flying dublin or flying heathrow is neither here nor there. But if purchasing a specific insurance policy would put me in a position to be refunded should the worst happen at dublin prior to boarding the plane as opposed at jfk o hare et all then that might influence the decision about how i next travel.

GeoffM May 27th 2013 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by customsquestion (Post 10727447)

So you're denied entry and then what? You say you don't use the return portion. How do you get home?

I have heard stories of people not only being sent on the next flight back, but also being charged by the airline for the cost of displacing a regular passenger in order to accommodate the returning passenger.

I think it'd be rare to find a policy that covers denied entry. Even if there was, I'd suspect a large premium on top of the regular policy. After all, if you specifically want to buy a policy that covers denied entry, then you're presumably at high risk of being denied entry, thus the policy premium would have to be increased to cover that high-risk eventuality.

christmasoompa May 27th 2013 9:27 pm

I was the mod that mentioned it but just to clarify, it wasn't South Africa and it wasn't the flight cost I got back (I was crossing the border from a neighbouring country), but accommodation costs.

And no, I've no idea who it was with as it was one of probably 20 providers I've had over the years, and I don't recall which one it was!

Having said that, I think trip interruption cover is usually an optional extra and can be obtained with most providers if you pay extra.

HTH.

:)

GeoffM May 27th 2013 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 10727564)
Having said that, I think trip interruption cover is usually an optional extra and can be obtained with most providers if you pay extra.

And usually has restrictions on what interruptions are covered! Earlier I did browse just out of curiosity and could only find ones that cover cancellations up to 48 hours before the first flight - ie not part way into the trip like the OP is asking. They did cover things like denied visas but not denied entry - again, events before the trip, not part way into it. Even "cancel any reason" policies had the 48-hour clause before the first flight.

That's not to say such policies don't exist: just rare, expensive, and hard to find.

sir_eccles May 27th 2013 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 10727572)
That's not to say such policies don't exist: just rare, expensive, and hard to find.

Cover such eventualities sure, actually pay out when it happens? Aha...

GeoffM May 27th 2013 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 10727592)
Cover such eventualities sure, actually pay out when it happens? Aha...

I've only once claimed on travel insurance - when I ended up with acute gastroenteritis in the Philippines. Initially the company were about to refuse payment because I wasn't in a recognised hospital - despite it being one of the top hospitals in the area! Grudgingly they gave in when evidence of its existence was provided (do they not have Google?). Nearly lost the entire £148 cost for ER, several drips, docs, nurses singing Christmas carols to me in bed :o, private room etc, food, etc.

mwdake May 28th 2013 12:38 am

Nearly lost the entire £148 cost for ER, several drips, docs, nurses singing Christmas carols to me in bed , private room etc, food, etc.
If that had been the US you could add a couple of 00's on that; assuming it was just a 1-2 day stay.

GeoffM May 28th 2013 1:43 am

Originally Posted by mwdake (Post 10727747)
If that had been the US you could add a couple of 00's on that; assuming it was just a 1-2 day stay.

Yes, hence my emphasis!

Noorah101 May 28th 2013 4:40 am

I had the opportunity to put my travel insurance into practice when my mother and I booked a trip to Greece and a Mediterranean Cruise. This was with TWA (yes, it was way back in 1992 or so). As soon as we arrived in Greece, mom got very ill and couldn't continue on with the cruise (doctor's orders). We spent 1 day waiting to see what will happen, but realized she couldn't continue, so I went to the TWA office and bought 2 business-class tickets back to the USA (at $2,000 each, but I didn't want my mom to be uncomfortable in coach). When we got back to the USA I contacted the travel insurance agent and we got refunded BOTH business class ticket prices, BOTH coach return tickets which we didn't use, AND a refund for the unused portion of the trip we didn't take (I think it was a 14-day trip, we got refunded 12 day's worth of it). It was awesome travel insurance, it only cost us about $35 each to get it, so it paid out VERY well for us.

Rene