Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Travel Insurance - Cancellation cover

Travel Insurance - Cancellation cover

Old May 31st 2012, 5:15 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel Insurance - Cancellation cover

Thanks Rene
Old May 31st 2012, 5:30 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob View Post
Are you sure you can't simply cancel the mileage ticket and get everything refunded (maybe minus a small fee)?

Maybe no insurance needed at all - you might be over-complicating things here.

Thanks tonrob I went back and found the link in the small print at the bottom of the Mileageplus page. $150 each to cancel and get miles refunded, I don't mind risking that or $75 to change the ticket.
Old May 31st 2012, 11:30 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury View Post
Thanks tonrob I went back and found the link in the small print at the bottom of the Mileageplus page. $150 each to cancel and get miles refunded, I don't mind risking that or $75 to change the ticket.
Good stuff. While I didn't know United's policies specifically, in general all the airlines that I have looked into have allowed cancellations of mileage tickets for a fee. $150 seems a bit steep compared to others (e.g. I think AA is $75), but some airlines make it so in order to give their 'elite' flyers a benefit by charging them less (Edit: And I've just looked and seen this is the case here).
Old May 31st 2012, 12:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury View Post
Excellent news!

Rene
Old May 31st 2012, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

Having been through this...United simply allows you to cancel the ticket and remand the miles back to your account. But there is a fee. The first time I had to do that was free, but I was an elite card holder. Now I'm not, so the second time I had to do it (last year) it cost me that $150.

To avoid the fee, you can change the dates instead. Changes are free under some rules..I think if the date is 21 days in advance. Otherwise it is some fees but under $75 if I remember.

I know you have this info at the moment but wanted to let you know I tend to book airmiles award tickets often with United.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/Cont...ticketing.aspx

I am off to Calgary on a United award ticket today!

ps: Americans rarely use the trip cover or cancellation insurance...we just pay tons of fees to cancel and change the tickets. We just don't have a good product as such.

Last edited by Bomjeito; May 31st 2012 at 1:24 pm. Reason: to add ps
Old May 31st 2012, 2:10 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The best trip insurance I ever did was many years ago, when my mom and I booked a TWA (no longer in business) Mediterranian package tour/cruise. We flew coach to Athens and then my mom got really sick and couldn't continue on with the cruise (doctor's orders). We spent 2 days in Athens getting her well enough to travel again. I bought 2 business-class seats for the return trip (out of my own pocket, so mom would travel more comfortably). When we got back to the USA, we filed with the trip insurance folks. We got both of our business class ticket price refunded, plus the coach return portion we didn't use, plus the remaining days of the tour we didn't take! I was forever grateful that we had the foresight to get trip insurance on that one!

Rene