Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Travel Insurance - Cancellation cover

Travel Insurance - Cancellation cover

Old May 30th 2012, 6:02 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Travel Insurance - Cancellation cover

As I've mentioned elsewhere my eldest son is getting married next year (June). He is currently with his TA regiment training for deployment to Afghanistan, back in time for his wedding. (God willing)

Watching the air fares last year US Airways had a good deal on business fares, and if they repeat the offer this year I think I'll indulge ourselves. The other plan is to get two free business tickets using my United airmiles, which I guess can't be insured.

Now not wishing to sound as cold as his mother, but I wonder if anyone can recommend good travel insurance. If something happens causing our plans to be changed or cancelled, I would like to be able to recover some of the cost.
Old May 30th 2012, 7:02 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Travel Insurance - Cancellation cover

Originally Posted by lansbury
As I've mentioned elsewhere my eldest son is getting married next year (June). He is currently with his TA regiment training for deployment to Afghanistan, back in time for his wedding. (God willing)

Watching the air fares last year US Airways had a good deal on business fares, and if they repeat the offer this year I think I'll indulge ourselves. The other plan is to get two free business tickets using my United airmiles, which I guess can't be insured.

Now not wishing to sound as cold as his mother, but I wonder if anyone can recommend good travel insurance. If something happens causing our plans to be changed or cancelled, I would like to be able to recover some of the cost.
Interesting (albeit old) article here:

http://www.airfarewatchdog.com/blog/...hats-it-worth/

It might be worth checking with your credit card company. I think Amex has a good one.
Old May 30th 2012, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel Insurance - Cancellation cover

Originally Posted by Englishmum

It might be worth checking with your credit card company. I think Amex has a good one.
I used to buy Amex travel insurance when I lived in the UK and whilst I never had cause to make a claim the coverage seemed pretty good for the price.
Old May 30th 2012, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

NSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to all

Not sure if its true for US Airways - but I think with BA miles if you need to cancel reward flights you get the miles back and the tax back as you haven't flown.............perhaps check on the US Airways website
Old May 30th 2012, 8:34 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NSBlake
Not sure if its true for US Airways - but I think with BA miles if you need to cancel reward flights you get the miles back and the tax back as you haven't flown.............perhaps check on the US Airways website
I used Delta miles a couple of years ago, and was still able to get travel insurance for that trip.

Rene
Old May 30th 2012, 9:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on the airline mile scheme, no idea there....you might have some form of travel insurance cover for cancellations via your credit card.

If not, a local insurance broker should be able to offer something cheap, though perhaps they tend to be found more in touristy seasonal areas. I know where the in-laws are, there are a few that offer this at least - folks not able to get to sugarloaf because of the snow, there not being enough snow etc, that it covers refunds or change of tickets etc.
Old May 30th 2012, 11:40 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum

Thanks interesting article. I thought of Amex but only have a $2k limit on the card, and I think their insurance is on trips purchased with the card. Also I assumed that the card type insurance wouldn't cover the eventuality I need covered. There again not sure any company would.
Old May 30th 2012, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I used Delta miles a couple of years ago, and was still able to get travel insurance for that trip.

Rene
But did it cover refund of the miles if the trip was cancelled? As it will take 200,000 to get the tickets I don't really want to be that number out of pocket if I have to cancel.
Old May 30th 2012, 11:51 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

But did it cover refund of the miles if the trip was cancelled? As it will take 200,000 to get the tickets I don't really want to be that number out of pocket if I have to cancel.
Mine did, at that time, yes. It refunded the miles back to your account. I think the only thing we couldn't get back were taxes paid.

Rene
Old May 31st 2012, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Mine did, at that time, yes. It refunded the miles back to your account. I think the only thing we couldn't get back were taxes paid.

Rene
Rene who did you get the insurance from? I'll look see if they still offer that cover. Thanks
Old May 31st 2012, 2:22 am

Rene who did you get the insurance from? I'll look see if they still offer that cover. Thanks
Let me see if I still have that information....

Yep! It was in January 2011, used miles for me and hubby to go to Hawaii. The cost for the two of us was $30. The insurance carrier is Access America. Their number is 1-800-284-8300.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; May 31st 2012 at 2:27 am.
Old May 31st 2012, 2:31 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure you can't simply cancel the mileage ticket and get everything refunded (maybe minus a small fee)?

Maybe no insurance needed at all - you might be over-complicating things here.
Old May 31st 2012, 4:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Cancellation Coverage covers certain specific eventualities, which ones did you have in mind?
Old May 31st 2012, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by Boiler
Cancellation Coverage covers certain specific eventualities, which ones did you have in mind?
Properly what they wouldn't cover. Son coming back from Afganistan injured and wedding not going ahead as planned. Needing to cancel ticket for May next year to go back to the UK earlier.
Old May 31st 2012, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by tonrob
Are you sure you can't simply cancel the mileage ticket and get everything refunded (maybe minus a small fee)?

Maybe no insurance needed at all - you might be over-complicating things here.
I can't find anything on the United web site about canceling an award ticket. So until I can confirm otherwise I am assuming they are not transferable or refundable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.