Reload this Page >

Travel Insurance

Travel Insurance

Old May 16th 2016, 10:28 am
Just Joined

HannahJane is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Travel Insurance

Hi,
So all parts of the visa process are complete for us except the visa interview which is in 3 weeks!
Please can anyone give me some advice on the type of insurance to get to be able to get repeat prescriptions in the USA until my spouses work health insurance kicks in? I am UK citizen, 2 kids have dual nationality and Spouse is US Citizen - we have been living in Uk for 10 years, but need to be able to continue to get prescriptions in the changeover and don't want to spend more than we have to.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 16th 2016, 11:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel Insurance

Originally Posted by HannahJane
Hi,
So all parts of the visa process are complete for us except the visa interview which is in 3 weeks!
Please can anyone give me some advice on the type of insurance to get to be able to get repeat prescriptions in the USA until my spouses work health insurance kicks in? I am UK citizen, 2 kids have dual nationality and Spouse is US Citizen - we have been living in Uk for 10 years, but need to be able to continue to get prescriptions in the changeover and don't want to spend more than we have to.

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to BE.

You may find your UK GP will give you a script for 3 to 6 months of meds. Get the meds before you leave the UK.
Old May 16th 2016, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Jerseygirl. I presume I will need some kind of insurance in case of dr visits too for the kids etc. Anything you could recommend? Travel insurance doesn't seem to cover dr visits I've noticed and as we have no return date its hard to get any quotes.
Old May 16th 2016, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Jerseygirl. I presume I will need some kind of insurance in case of dr visits too for the kids etc. Anything you could recommend? Travel insurance doesn't seem to cover dr visits I've noticed and as we have no return date its hard to get any quotes.
You are right. Insurance to cover the gap is highly advisable. Regular travel insurance does not cover the need.

This site has previously been recommended: https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/
Old May 16th 2016, 1:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

You can't use travel insurance once you arrive in the US...then you cease to become a traveler as you are living here.

Take a read through the following...it contains a list of companies.

Health Insurance : British Expat Wiki
Old May 16th 2016, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

thank you!
Old May 16th 2016, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

Where are you moving to? California has 'Covered California' which helps you sort out insurance, I used it till my work insurance kicked in
Old May 16th 2016, 5:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Welcome to BE.

You may find your UK GP will give you a script for 3 to 6 months of meds. Get the meds before you leave the UK.
Would it be advisable to get a doctors note? Just curious on the risk of bringing a largish amount of prescription drugs into the US.
Old May 16th 2016, 5:38 pm
Just Joined

good idea thanks MrKen30
Old May 16th 2016, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: Travel Insurance

Originally Posted by dj6372
Where are you moving to? California has 'Covered California' which helps you sort out insurance, I used it till my work insurance kicked in
Moving to SC - will look and see if there is anything similar. thank you
Old May 16th 2016, 7:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by mrken30
Would it be advisable to get a doctors note? Just curious on the risk of bringing a largish amount of prescription drugs into the US.
There are some drugs you cannot bring into the US...but you can buy them over the counter in the UK i.e. Codeine. Take a look at the following...search around the website there is a list of drugs not allowed into the US.

Is it legal for me to personally import drugs?
Old May 16th 2016, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

Boswortha is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anybody tried Inbound Immigrant Insurance®?

Could you recommend?
Is $75,000 a decent amount of coverage per injury/sickness?

I move to NY on the 6th of June and will need medical insurance for my spouse and I.

Thanks.
Old May 16th 2016, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boswortha
Has anybody tried Inbound Immigrant Insurance®?

Could you recommend?
Is $75,000 a decent amount of coverage per injury/sickness?

I move to NY on the 6th of June and will need medical insurance for my spouse and I.

Thanks.
I just had a bill in for 4 days in intensive care, with discount came to just under $30k. Hope that helps.
Old May 16th 2016, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

Boswortha is an unknown quantity at this point

EEK - sorry, finding this whole thing very confusing.

Are there any temporary medical insurance packages for new non-immigrants that cover for larger than this amount?
Old May 16th 2016, 9:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boswortha
EEK - sorry, finding this whole thing very confusing.

Are there any temporary medical insurance packages for new non-immigrants that cover for larger than this amount?
How long do you need to be covered for?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.