British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Travel Insurance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/travel-insurance-877542/)

HannahJane May 16th 2016 10:28 am

Travel Insurance

Hi,
So all parts of the visa process are complete for us except the visa interview which is in 3 weeks!
Please can anyone give me some advice on the type of insurance to get to be able to get repeat prescriptions in the USA until my spouses work health insurance kicks in? I am UK citizen, 2 kids have dual nationality and Spouse is US Citizen - we have been living in Uk for 10 years, but need to be able to continue to get prescriptions in the changeover and don't want to spend more than we have to.

Thanks in advance.

Jerseygirl May 16th 2016 11:02 am

Re: Travel Insurance

Originally Posted by HannahJane (Post 11949137)
Hi,
So all parts of the visa process are complete for us except the visa interview which is in 3 weeks!
Please can anyone give me some advice on the type of insurance to get to be able to get repeat prescriptions in the USA until my spouses work health insurance kicks in? I am UK citizen, 2 kids have dual nationality and Spouse is US Citizen - we have been living in Uk for 10 years, but need to be able to continue to get prescriptions in the changeover and don't want to spend more than we have to.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to BE. :)

You may find your UK GP will give you a script for 3 to 6 months of meds. Get the meds before you leave the UK.

HannahJane May 16th 2016 12:48 pm

Thank you Jerseygirl. I presume I will need some kind of insurance in case of dr visits too for the kids etc. Anything you could recommend? Travel insurance doesn't seem to cover dr visits I've noticed and as we have no return date its hard to get any quotes.

MidAtlantic May 16th 2016 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by HannahJane (Post 11949272)
Thank you Jerseygirl. I presume I will need some kind of insurance in case of dr visits too for the kids etc. Anything you could recommend? Travel insurance doesn't seem to cover dr visits I've noticed and as we have no return date its hard to get any quotes.

You are right. Insurance to cover the gap is highly advisable. Regular travel insurance does not cover the need.

This site has previously been recommended: https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/

Jerseygirl May 16th 2016 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by HannahJane (Post 11949272)

You can't use travel insurance once you arrive in the US...then you cease to become a traveler as you are living here.

Take a read through the following...it contains a list of companies.

Health Insurance : British Expat Wiki

HannahJane May 16th 2016 1:57 pm

thank you!

dj6372 May 16th 2016 3:26 pm

Where are you moving to? California has 'Covered California' which helps you sort out insurance, I used it till my work insurance kicked in

mrken30 May 16th 2016 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 11949181)
Welcome to BE. :)

You may find your UK GP will give you a script for 3 to 6 months of meds. Get the meds before you leave the UK.

Would it be advisable to get a doctors note? Just curious on the risk of bringing a largish amount of prescription drugs into the US.

HannahJane May 16th 2016 5:38 pm

good idea thanks MrKen30

HannahJane May 16th 2016 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by dj6372 (Post 11949434)
Where are you moving to? California has 'Covered California' which helps you sort out insurance, I used it till my work insurance kicked in

Moving to SC - will look and see if there is anything similar. thank you

Jerseygirl May 16th 2016 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 11949540)
Would it be advisable to get a doctors note? Just curious on the risk of bringing a largish amount of prescription drugs into the US.

There are some drugs you cannot bring into the US...but you can buy them over the counter in the UK i.e. Codeine. Take a look at the following...search around the website there is a list of drugs not allowed into the US.

Is it legal for me to personally import drugs?

Boswortha May 16th 2016 8:51 pm

Has anybody tried Inbound Immigrant Insurance®?

Could you recommend?
Is $75,000 a decent amount of coverage per injury/sickness?

I move to NY on the 6th of June and will need medical insurance for my spouse and I.

Thanks.

mrken30 May 16th 2016 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by Boswortha (Post 11949685)
Has anybody tried Inbound Immigrant Insurance®?

Could you recommend?
Is $75,000 a decent amount of coverage per injury/sickness?

I move to NY on the 6th of June and will need medical insurance for my spouse and I.

Thanks.

I just had a bill in for 4 days in intensive care, with discount came to just under $30k. Hope that helps.

Boswortha May 16th 2016 9:52 pm

EEK - sorry, finding this whole thing very confusing.

Are there any temporary medical insurance packages for new non-immigrants that cover for larger than this amount?

SanDiegogirl May 16th 2016 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Boswortha (Post 11949719)
EEK - sorry, finding this whole thing very confusing.

Are there any temporary medical insurance packages for new non-immigrants that cover for larger than this amount?

How long do you need to be covered for?