British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Travel Insurance for 83 year old (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/travel-insurance-83-year-old-333995/)

franc11s Oct 27th 2005 3:55 pm

Travel Insurance for 83 year old

Does anyone have actual experience of travel (health) insurance for anyone travelling to USA. Father-in-law, who is now 83 is coming for 60 days.

Last year, Lloyds covered him for $360 but looks like they are setting their own limit back to 80. Most companies don't cover over 80 but I guess someone must have done this..

I've booked his flight but now might be stuck getting insurance.

Anyone with ACTUAL experience with anyone this age or OLDER?

mandpete Oct 27th 2005 4:12 pm

Re: Travel Insurance for 83 year old

My 82 year old Nan came to visit us a couple of years ago and I am sure her insurance was through Help The Aged.

franc11s Oct 27th 2005 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by mandpete
My 82 year old Nan came to visit us a couple of years ago and I am sure her insurance was through Help The Aged.

Thanks. just tried ALLCLEAR - that was 1100 quid. I think help the aged was over 700 quid..

Ouch looks like this is the way it's going :(

Rompers Oct 27th 2005 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by franc11s
Thanks. just tried ALLCLEAR - that was 1100 quid. I think help the aged was over 700 quid..

Ouch looks like this is the way it's going :(

Have you tried Saga?

franc11s Oct 27th 2005 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by mandpete

Thanks Mandpete. Help the aged quoted 420 quid....

Excellent.

Rushman Oct 27th 2005 6:31 pm

Barclays bank travel ins, can be done online

clydegirl Oct 27th 2005 8:31 pm

My dad always got his insurance through Tesco.He was 80 last time he travelled last Christmas.

franc11s Oct 27th 2005 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by clydegirl
My dad always got his insurance through Tesco.He was 80 last time he travelled last Christmas.

That's the problem, they are all pegging now at 80 :( Even Lloyds which did it last year when he was 82 say that 80 is their limit.

This is getting harder for OAP's to travel - take note....

Maggs Oct 27th 2005 9:32 pm

My parents travelled here May this year and used Lloyds although they booked it November 2004. My father is 82 and my mother 80. Maybe it was because my mum was 80? I know my parents had a hard job trying to find an insurer that didn't cost the earth. Good luck and let us know as If they come over next year as we'll need to do the same.
:o

Maggie

Originally Posted by franc11s
Does anyone have actual experience of travel (health) insurance for anyone travelling to USA. Father-in-law, who is now 83 is coming for 60 days.

Last year, Lloyds covered him for $360 but looks like they are setting their own limit back to 80. Most companies don't cover over 80 but I guess someone must have done this..

I've booked his flight but now might be stuck getting insurance.

Anyone with ACTUAL experience with anyone this age or OLDER?

Bob Oct 27th 2005 10:59 pm

there was a thread about this a couple months that had some pretty good info, can't remember the thread title off hand though, but you might have luck finding that? :)