British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Travel Insurance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/travel-insurance-717475/)

choops May 18th 2011 9:24 am

Travel Insurance

Will I be needing to purchase Travel Insurance for my move to the USA?

I will be on L1 and initially fiancee on the VWP and we go on Sunday!!:thumbup:

Can anyone help please?

Thanks

penguinsix May 18th 2011 10:21 am

Re: Travel Insurance

Travel Insurance -- covering the cost of a flight if there is a delay, or a cancellation, or something? Whatever floats your boat. Most don't buy this as it just covers airfare changes, etc.

Travel Health Insurance for your visit? A very wise purchase, unless your medical cover from your employer kicks in immediately. Even a minor scrape sending you to hospital will be in the thousands of US dollars and a major car accident from the airport to your home will be $100k in just a matter of days.

Basically, never travel in the USA unless you have some form of medical cover.

Jerseygirl May 18th 2011 1:16 pm

If you purchase travel insurance to cover healthcare make sure you will be covered because if you have a L1 visa you will not be visiting the US but living here.

ian-mstm May 18th 2011 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by choops (Post 9371783)
I will be on L1 and initially fiancee on the VWP and we go on Sunday!

Good luck. If you're travelling together, be aware that there's a chance that your fiancee may be refused entry once you present your L-1 visa for entrance. While your plans (as discussed elsewhere) sound perfectly reasonable to us here, a CBP officer may not be so understanding.

Ian

dyqik May 18th 2011 1:40 pm

I saw a comment somewhere on here about immigrant/expat healthcare insurance from Seven Corners http://www.sevencorners.com/, which is temporary health insurance for those moving into the US.

I got a quote for about $60 for a month, and although the coverage doesn't seem that extensive, it would cover emergencies until you work plan comes through.

(I've not used them though, and I'm sure other suppliers are available. Also, thanks to whoever it was that linked to them before)

Bob May 18th 2011 7:38 pm

It would be good for the OH, because she's only visiting.

For you, won't be much use, but isn't your employer covering you from day one? Or do you have a probationary period before it kicks in?

choops May 19th 2011 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9372257)
Good luck. If you're travelling together, be aware that there's a chance that your fiancee may be refused entry once you present your L-1 visa for entrance. While your plans (as discussed elsewhere) sound perfectly reasonable to us here, a CBP officer may not be so understanding.

Ian

Ok, How to throw the fear of god into someone!! Are you serious?? Our lawyer hasnt advised us of this?!

ian-mstm May 19th 2011 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by choops (Post 9374816)
Are you serious?

Yes, quite!

Our lawyer hasnt advised us of this?!
Perhaps you should ask him about this! Can it happen? Absolutely, yes. Will it happen? Who knows?

Ian

meauxna May 19th 2011 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by choops (Post 9374816)
Ok, How to throw the fear of god into someone!! Are you serious?? Our lawyer hasnt advised us of this?!

Well bring it up with him. What you are doing is outside of the norm, and if your GF is traveling with all her stuff and looking like she is moving to the US, there may be a problem with her entering on the VWP.

I think this was brought up in your immigration thread before. You should just give your lawyer a call and find out how to best handle her VWP travel. He will laugh at all of us, but we see all the exceptions to the rules roll through here, and are cautious by nature.

choops May 23rd 2011 12:54 am

I am delighted to inform you that we made it in and are now checked into the hotel at LAX before our drive to SD tomorrow!

Now all we have to worry about is that the container arrives safely and what size bed and tv to buy!!!

:thumbsup: