Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Travel help needed...

Travel help needed...

Old Feb 4th 2009, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

mikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to behold
Default Travel help needed...

Hoping that someone might have some advice for us...
We are looking for flights from San Francisco/Sacramento to Manchester, UK (mid August), then from Manchester to Miami, then Miami back into Sacramento (late August).
I have searched all the sites I can think of and still have not been able to come up with a price that seems to be anywhere near what we have paid in the past. The prices I am getting so far are ranging from $1600 to $3000, does that seem expensive or about right?
Old Feb 4th 2009, 4:15 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel help needed...

Mid-August is dead in the middle of the peak Summer tourist season and $1600 is not entirely outside the range of a tourist price during PEAK travel season. And with the flight being essentially a multi-city, you aren't getting the benefit of lower round trip deals.

You might be able to do a bit better in a month or two (right now you are paying pretty much the 'full' fare even for the 'cheap' tickets because the fare wars / price sales, etc haven't been developed yet for something as far out as next August).

Have you considered 'two' roundtrips? i.e. SFO-MIAMI, MIAMI-MAN and then MAN-MIAMI, MIA-SFO? You could get a relatively cheap 'cross country' fare and then book the UK leg out of Miami (which will have lower prices than SFO I suspect). Downside is you have a 'dog leg' on the way out--flying to Miami just to get on another flight, but upside is it might be cheaper.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

mikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to behold

I wasn't sure whether now was a good time or not to book, so that helps a lot. I think I will wait it out until around Easter time and then look to book something then. I think the round trip ticket via Miami might well be the way to go.
Appreciate the advice.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 5:28 pm
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Chrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mikec81
Hoping that someone might have some advice for us...
We are looking for flights from San Francisco/Sacramento to Manchester, UK (mid August), then from Manchester to Miami, then Miami back into Sacramento (late August).
I have searched all the sites I can think of and still have not been able to come up with a price that seems to be anywhere near what we have paid in the past. The prices I am getting so far are ranging from $1600 to $3000, does that seem expensive or about right?
Based on the fact I have been tracking flight prices for SFO to LHR return at end of July / aug since Oct last year, and still coming up with $2800 for the two of us, I'd say the quotes you are getting are a bargain!!
Old Feb 5th 2009, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

I found a price with Air Canada today (SFO - LHR) for return flights at the end of July for $995 per person. This was on vayama.com, although I booked a similar flight last year for a similar price (a bit cheaper I think) with Air Canada directly. The flight itself was actually very good, changed in Calgary, and would definitely recommend it...
Old Feb 5th 2009, 5:45 pm
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Chrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mikec81
I found a price with Air Canada today (SFO - LHR) for return flights at the end of July for $995 per person. This was on vayama.com, although I booked a similar flight last year for a similar price (a bit cheaper I think) with Air Canada directly. The flight itself was actually very good, changed in Calgary, and would definitely recommend it...
thanks for the tip.. but we want direct flights really, hence the cost!
Old Feb 5th 2009, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Chrissywissy100
thanks for the tip.. but we want direct flights really, hence the cost!
Yeah, for direct flights $2800 is not actually that bad for two people...
The Virgin direct flights used to actually be pretty reasonable (12-18 months ago) but they seem to be crazy right now...