Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Travel During Removal of Conditions Process

Travel During Removal of Conditions Process

Old Sep 27th 2013, 1:55 pm
Badger Badger Badger

Malashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of light
Default Travel During Removal of Conditions Process

Hi all,

It's been a while since I've posted, but I've been checking in from time to time.

Does anyone have experience with the following, or similar?

My two year green card expired back in March. I filed the I-751 to remove conditions in the appropriate time frame and got a rapid response with a biometrics appointment (which I attended) and stating I have permanent resident status, including travel authorization, for an additional 12 months (this appears to be a form letter, so I imagine it's standard). I am going to be making an overnight trip into Canada next week, and I'm getting slightly concerned about coming back and having to use the combination of a Green Card that says it expired in March and a letter to get back into the country.

Has anyone experienced similar? Did you have any problems or was it smooth sailing?

Any tips on how to present the situation cleanly would be greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 27th 2013, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

Havnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel During Removal of Conditions Process

I travelled from Canada on my expired green card and extension letter in 2011. Went through the POE in Calgary. The officer was nice but said he didn't know what to do as he had never seen a letter like that so had me sit in a waiting room in secondary while he checked with someone else. Took about 10 minutes and he came back and said I was good to go.

Hope that helps
Old Sep 27th 2013, 3:30 pm
Badger Badger Badger

Malashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks. That's exactly what I was afraid of (the officer not knowing what to do) - but it sounds like it was resolved efficiently.
Old Sep 27th 2013, 3:46 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Malashaan
Thanks. That's exactly what I was afraid of (the officer not knowing what to do) - but it sounds like it was resolved efficiently.
It's standard operating procedure to travel showing the expired green card plus the 1-year extension letter. Make sure to keep photocopies of each in a safe place at home.

Rene
Old Sep 27th 2013, 3:56 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Point of Clarification: Your status is extended for as long as it takes to process your I-751 petition. The letter is evidence, valid for a period of 1 year, of your status. In the event that your petition has not been approved as the 1-year mark approaches (unlikely, but possible), make an InfoPass appointment at your local USCIS field office to have a stamp put in your passport as continuing evidence of your PR status.
I filed the I-751 to remove conditions in the appropriate time frame and got a rapid response with a biometrics appointment (which I attended) and stating I have permanent resident status, including travel authorization, for an additional 12 months ...
Correct.
... (this appears to be a form letter, so I imagine it's standard).
Regards, JEff
Old Sep 27th 2013, 11:24 pm
Badger Badger Badger

Thanks. I think it should be resolved before the year expires, but good to know just in case.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 3:58 pm
Badger Badger Badger

Thanks again for settling my nerves with your responses. I made the trip last week and got across the border both ways with no difficulty. The guy on the border just looked at the card and the letter, asked a couple of mundane questions (how long have you been married? where do you live?) and we were on our way.