Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Travel to Cuba

Travel to Cuba

Old Mar 15th 2016, 8:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Travel to Cuba

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/15/travel/how-to-go-to-cuba-right-now.html

Slight relaxation of the rules. It isn't quite a free for all yet, it still has to be one of the 12 purposes of trip but it doesn't have to be an organized tour any more.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 11:00 am
Banned

Loveen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Travel to Cuba

thanx for sharing this information. I will share this advice to my friends as well.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Or, simply fly down to Mexico and take a flight from there .
Old Mar 18th 2016, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherbert
Or, simply fly down to Mexico and take a flight from there .
and use your British passport
Old Mar 18th 2016, 2:44 pm
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
and use your British passport
Are (were?) there any restrictions on PRs visiting Cuba?
Old Mar 18th 2016, 3:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by username.exe
Are (were?) there any restrictions on PRs visiting Cuba?
If you are a US resident, the legal restrictions are the same as if you are a citizen.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Mar 18th 2016 at 3:05 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2016, 4:28 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

It is little understood that the prohibition on travel to Cuba for US citizens/ residents is more to do with financial sanctions enforced by the Treasury than passport restrictions under the auspices of the State Department (there are no passport restrictions).

It is illegal to transfer USD to Cuba except under very limited circumstances and with approval of the Treasury, so taking greenbacks to Cuba is a breach of US sanctions, and using your bank account, including writing a check, or using a credit card branded with a US issuer logo (VISA, Amex, M/C, Citi, Diners Club, Discover, etc.) puts both you and your bank in breach of US sanctions. The State Department cares a whole lot less about travel to Cuba.
Old Mar 18th 2016, 4:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It is little understood that the prohibition on travel to Cuba for US citizens/ residents is more to do with financial sanctions enforced by the Treasury than passport restrictions under the auspices of the State Department (there are no passport restrictions).

It is illegal to transfer USD to Cuba except under very limited circumstances and with approval of the Treasury, so taking greenbacks to Cuba is a breach of US sanctions, and using your bank account, including writing a check, or using a credit card branded with a US issuer logo (VISA, Amex, M/C, Citi, Diners Club, Discover, etc.) puts both you and your bank in breach of US sanctions. The State Department cares a whole lot less about travel to Cuba.
Are you telling me I would be fine if I just used my UK credit cards and my US passport? I'm sure they would still ask questions
Old Mar 18th 2016, 4:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Are you telling me I would be fine if I just used my UK credit cards and my US passport? I'm sure they would still ask questions
What sort of credit cards are you planning on using that aren't branded with VISA or M/C logos, or run through networks owned by those or other US banks or finance companies?

And anyway, who would ask the questions? There are plenty of Americans who have been to Cuba, and the Cubans certainly don't have a problem with that. And given that the US doesn't yet implant tracking devices in its passports or citizens, the US is going to remain blissfully unaware of a US citizen's trip to Cuba so long as (i) they pay in cash, and (ii) they don't cause a diplomatic incident or attract publicity to themselves.
Old Mar 18th 2016, 4:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

What sort of credit cards are you planning on using that aren't branded with VISA or M/C logos, or run through networks owned by those or other US banks or finance companies?

And anyway, who would ask the questions? There are plenty of Americans who havr been to Cuba, and the Cubans certainly don't have a problem with that. And given that the US doesn't yet implant tracking devices in its passports or citizens, the US is going to remain blissfully unaware of a US citizen's trip to Cuba so long as (i) they pay in cash, and (ii) thdy don't cause a diplomatic incident or attract publicity to themselves.
and (iii) make sure they don't get their passport stamped; and (iv) make sure they don't bring Cuban goods back that could be discovered on re-entry to the US. (iv) is now a little easier as the rules on this have been relaxed recently.
Old Mar 18th 2016, 5:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The ones that used to be owned by Visa Europe, I can't remember if Visa US successfully bought/merged with Visa Europe.

I found the answer

Visa Inc. and Visa Europe announced in November a definitive agreement for Visa Inc. to acquire Visa Europe, creating a single global company. The transaction is subject to regulatory approvals and is expected to close in Visa Inc.'s fiscal third quarter of 2016 (April-June).
Old Mar 18th 2016, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
and (iii) make sure they don't get their passport stamped ...
But as the US State department doesn't have a primary concern with travel to Cuba, I don't see getting your US passport stamped as a major problem.
Old Mar 18th 2016, 5:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

But as the US State department doesn't have a primary concern with travel to Cuba, I don't see getting your US passport stamped as a major problem.
You don't think a Cuban stamp in the passport of a returning traveler might be a tipoff for the US to investigate? Especially when I see this on the State Dept website on travel to Cuba:

" U.S. law enforcement authorities enforce these regulations at U.S. airports and pre-clearance facilities in third countries."

Cuba
Old Mar 18th 2016, 5:38 pm

The ones that used to be owned by Visa Europe, I can't remember if Visa US successfully bought/merged with Visa Europe.

I found the answer

Visa Inc. and Visa Europe announced in November a definitive agreement for Visa Inc. to acquire Visa Europe, creating a single global company. The transaction is subject to regulatory approvals and is expected to close in Visa Inc.'s fiscal third quarter of 2016 (April-June).
Visa Europe only became "independent" of VISA Inc in October 2007, and mergered with VISA Inc in November 2015, ..... and in between had a licence to use the VISA brand and international networks. So given that VISA Inc is a US corporation, you can be pretty damn sure that VISA Europe was bound by the franchise contract with VISA Inc to abide by US sanctions against Iran and Cuba, and anyone else that the US happens to be miffed with, because Uncle Sam is not at all shy about fining international banks for breaching US sanctions. Banks that have been fined in recent years include Barclay's, Lloyds TSB, Credit Suisse, and HSBC, amone others.
Old Mar 18th 2016, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
You don't think a Cuban stamp in the passport of a returning traveler might be a tipoff for the US to investigate? Especially when I see this on the State Dept website on travel to Cuba:

" U.S. law enforcement authorities enforce these regulations at U.S. airports and pre-clearance facilities in third countries."

Cuba
Well empirically it hasn't stopped plenty of Americans from visiting Cuba. Maybe they're all dual citizens, or have conveniently "lost" a passport so they now have two passports?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.