Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Travel Ban & Transit

Travel Ban & Transit

Old Aug 2nd 2021, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

notaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Travel Ban & Transit

Hi all,

I’m traveling back to the UK soon for a visit. As many of you know, I live in the USVI, in very close proximity to the BVI.

I am in the BVI pretty much daily.

I have a friend, who may travel UK > US with me. They have no status in the US. They would transit with me, land in the USVI, and then depart the US by sea for onward travel to the BVI, on my boat, with me.

I know how to clear out of the US here, however I’m curious what the protocol may be for them to enter the US at an airport POE if they are purely transiting the US while it is technically closed to a UKC.

The unique element being they are traveling to a US territory and then departing by sea. To me it seems the claim of transiting could be used as a bluff for someone to enter when the US is ‘closed’?

Old Aug 2nd 2021, 3:33 am
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel Ban & Transit

The US isn't closed, only if you are physically present in the banned counties in the last 14 days without some kind of exception. I'm also pretty sure that only Great Britain is affected and not overseas territories.
Old Aug 2nd 2021, 3:49 am
BE Enthusiast

notaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by postbox134
The US isn't closed, only if you are physically present in the banned counties in the last 14 days without some kind of exception. I'm also pretty sure that only Great Britain is affected and not overseas territories.
Proclamation 10143 appears to still ban travel from the UK.
Four COVID-19-related presidential proclamations now limit entry to the United States by individuals who were physically present in a covered country during the 14-day period prior to their planned entry or attempted entry to the United States.

The Covered Countries
  • Brazil
  • China
  • Iran
  • Ireland
  • Schengen Area (Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland)
  • United Kingdom
  • South Africa
  • India (effective May 4, 2021)
Old Aug 2nd 2021, 3:51 am
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah misread your question sorry, I assumed they'd be stopped upon attempting to enter to the USVI - either at the gate or when they landed.
Old Aug 2nd 2021, 6:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notaclue
I know how to clear out of the US here, however I’m curious what the protocol may be for them to enter the US at an airport POE if they are purely transiting the US while it is technically closed

I’m a bit confused, is your friend in the UK? And are you transitting in the US or flying direct from the UK to the USVI?

As said above his nationality isn’t an issue, only where he’s been for the 14 days prior to travelling to the US. If that’s the UK then he won’t be allowed in to the US, even to transit. https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/u-s-v...d-travel-faqs/

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Aug 2nd 2021 at 6:11 am.
Old Aug 2nd 2021, 12:01 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

I’m traveling back to the UK soon for a visit. As many of you know, I live in the USVI, in very close proximity to the BVI.

I am in the BVI pretty much daily.

I have a friend, who may travel UK > US with me. They have no status in the US. They would transit with me, land in the USVI, and then depart the US by sea for onward travel to the BVI, on my boat, with me.

I know how to clear out of the US here, however I’m curious what the protocol may be for them to enter the US at an airport POE if they are purely transiting the US while it is technically closed to a UKC.

The unique element being they are traveling to a US territory and then departing by sea. To me it seems the claim of transiting could be used as a bluff for someone to enter when the US is ‘closed’?
Unless something changed in the last few years the US don’t have “air side” transit like you have in the UK and some other countries. The closest they had was on the air NZ flights LHR-LAX-AKL, for those they would only do immigration (so you still needed ESTA) but they put you in a holding pen (in the US) so that you did not have to unload bags and clear customs. So the answer is they are entering the US if they are “purely transiting”. Also is the USVI not part the US? The flight from the US would be a domestic one with no passport control? So they are not even transiting in the way you would at an international airport. They are entering the US, taking a domestic flight to another part of the US, and then happening to take a non scheduled boat out of the US at a later time. In answer to your question “transiting” can’t be used as a bluff because it’s not a thing here.

Last edited by tht; Aug 2nd 2021 at 12:07 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2021, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorry just for clarification, I am in the US, and will be visiting the UK.

When I come back to the US, my friend would like to return with me on the same plane.

Landing in the USVI (Still the US), having went through a POE in Florida, we then need to sail to the BVI.

It seems stupid that she take a flight to the BVI via Florida, only for me to fly to the USVI, and sail to the BVI to meet her again….
Old Aug 4th 2021, 6:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

When I come back to the US, my friend would like to return with me on the same plane.

Landing in the USVI (Still the US), having went through a POE in Florida, we then need to sail to the BVI.

It seems stupid that she take a flight to the BVI via Florida, only for me to fly to the USVI, and sail to the BVI to meet her again….
Is she a US citizen or Permanent resident ? I thought this was needed to enter the US right now.
Old Aug 4th 2021, 7:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

As per the link above, she can't enter the US, even to transit. So the POE in Florida isn't possible.
Old Aug 4th 2021, 7:15 pm
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

You are still ll trying to project what you want.

She won't be flying to the BVI via Florida, she can't fly the US, she would have to fly from the UK to a non banned county, stay for 14+ Days/nights and then she could fly to the US and on to the BVI.

Is this the same EU “friend” who had the social/housing issues in June or did she find a way to switch from “ESTA” to her B1/B2 so she could live in the US longer?

Old Aug 4th 2021, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tht
You are still ll trying to project what you want.

She won't be flying to the BVI via Florida, she can't fly the US, she would have to fly from the UK to a non banned county, stay for 14+ Days/nights and then she could fly to the US and on to the BVI.

Is this the same EU “friend” who had the social/housing issues in June or did she find a way to switch from “ESTA” to her B1/B2 so she could live in the US longer?
It is not. That friend has since returned to the BVI. I don’t understand why anyone would want to risk an overstay.

It is absurd that you cannot transit. Hopefully it ends soon. You can’t easily access any Caribbean islands without going via the US sadly.
Old Aug 4th 2021, 8:18 pm
tht

It is not. That friend has since returned to the BVI. I don’t understand why anyone would want to risk an overstay.

It is absurd that you cannot transit. Hopefully it ends soon. You can’t easily access any Caribbean islands without going via the US sadly.
That should not be a consideration for the US though, safety of our citizens and residents should come first.

People seem to be able to fly to Mexico, are there no flights in to BVI from there ? Did VS and BA stop flying in to BGI? or are they not accepting people from the UK either? I assume they have some sort of inter island services down there or does it all go back up and out from Miami?
Old Aug 5th 2021, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tht
That should not be a consideration for the US though, safety of our citizens and residents should come first.

People seem to be able to fly to Mexico, are there no flights in to BVI from there ? Did VS and BA stop flying in to BGI? or are they not accepting people from the UK either? I assume they have some sort of inter island services down there or does it all go back up and out from Miami?

Pretty much everything is running through the US. Final leg flights are usually out of MIA or SJU.

I know for a concrete fact that they have let ESTA’s in by sea recently so I’ll hop down to USCIS in person and ask, I see them almost every day since I leave the US by sea several times a week.

The unfortunate fact is, you could so so easily enter here and never be caught. Lots of UKC’s here having never crossed a POE.
Old Aug 5th 2021, 10:20 pm
tht

Pretty much everything is running through the US. Final leg flights are usually out of MIA or SJU.

I know for a concrete fact that they have let ESTA’s in by sea recently so I’ll hop down to USCIS in person and ask, I see them almost every day since I leave the US by sea several times a week.

The unfortunate fact is, you could so so easily enter here and never be caught. Lots of UKC’s here having never crossed a POE.
There is no problem with ESTA’s. The ban is on people who have been in certain countries in the last 14 days before the US.