Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Travel after naturalization

Travel after naturalization

Old Oct 4th 2010, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

TexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Travel after naturalization

This is somewhat connected to the dual passport thread running but subtly different.
It's slightly hypothetical but I found out last night that it may actually be relevant for my daughter's planned travel next Spring Break.

All 4 of us in the family have just filed (finally) our N400 for naturalization.
At the oath ceremony my understanding is that we hand in the green card and get, in return (!) a naturalization certificate.

At that point we are US citizens but don't have a US passport.
What would happen then if we needed to travel to the UK, for example, before we could get a US passport?

The airlines could not reasonably refuse to let us travel because we would have a passport allowing us to remain indefinitely in the UK (after all we may not be intending to return so wouldn't need a US passport per se).
Then, on the return flight, technically since we are US citizens we could not legally be refused entry into the USA...and yet we wouldn't have a US passport.
Of course, the situation is different from a regular US citizen without dual nationality since the airline would refuse to allow him/her to board the plan in the US without a valid passport.

I'm sure this must have come up before, it can't be THAT unusual to get say, a bereavement mandating travel "home" immediately after the naturalization??
Old Oct 4th 2010, 6:06 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel after naturalization

You can request an expedited US passport. As citizens you are supposed to use your US passport to leave the country; while you could hypothetically leave on your UK passport I don't know what the repercussions of doing so might be.

Here are the current US passport processing times:

http://www.travel.state.gov/passport...sing_1740.html
Old Oct 4th 2010, 6:17 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I believe the penalty is a stiff fine (For returning to the US without a US passport).
The answer is, plan accordingly.

We had a trip already booked with departure one week after the oath ceremony. We made an 'urgent travel' appointment with the Passport Authority office nearest to us and made the day trip to go there and get the passport on the same day. Many others have done similar.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 7:10 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

I am getting my US passport before we fly. getting back in may be difficult without the US passport..
Old Oct 4th 2010, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

seawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really nice

Originally Posted by meauxna
I believe the penalty is a stiff fine (For returning to the US without a US passport).
The answer is, plan accordingly.

We had a trip already booked with departure one week after the oath ceremony. We made an 'urgent travel' appointment with the Passport Authority office nearest to us and made the day trip to go there and get the passport on the same day. Many others have done similar.

I did the same thing - knew when the ceremony was and then specifically booked an appointment with passport office exactly 12 days in advance of my trip (you can pick your date unless it's same day travel). Walked in, handed my papers (always best to fill them out ahead of time, form is on travel.state.gov), pictures, $160 and was out in an hour. Passport was done in 2 days as I still had another 10 days before my travels.

I've seen people who were driving to Canada so no flight itinerary, and were told to come back in 3 hrs for their passports.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TexasPenguin
..... I found out last night that it may actually be relevant for my daughter's planned travel next Spring Break.

All 4 of us in the family have just filed (finally) our N400 for naturalization.
At the oath ceremony my understanding is that we hand in the green card and get, in return (!) a naturalization certificate.

At that point we are US citizens but don't have a US passport.
What would happen then if we needed to travel to the UK, for example, before we could get a US passport?
You might enjoy reading this soap opera of a thread, which is one we were all very interested in at the time.....

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=644662

If you really must skip to the result....

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...&postcount=125

Last edited by BritishGuy36; Oct 6th 2010 at 12:43 am.