Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

transportation of guinea pigs to usa

transportation of guinea pigs to usa

Old Jul 24th 2020, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: transportation of guinea pigs to usa

Originally Posted by civilservant
Unless you're allergic, I don't see the problem. Cats are very quiet animals.
Obviously, you don’t know my cat Growler.
Old Jul 24th 2020, 9:38 pm
Just Joined

SquirrelRat has a reputation beyond reputeSquirrelRat has a reputation beyond reputeSquirrelRat has a reputation beyond reputeSquirrelRat has a reputation beyond reputeSquirrelRat has a reputation beyond reputeSquirrelRat has a reputation beyond reputeSquirrelRat has a reputation beyond reputeSquirrelRat has a reputation beyond reputeSquirrelRat has a reputation beyond reputeSquirrelRat has a reputation beyond reputeSquirrelRat has a reputation beyond repute

Cunard are very helpful apparently, so it might be worth speaking to them. If they take cats and dogs I don't see why they wouldn't take gps.
It might also be a good idea to talk to the UK and US. national guinea pig clubs. They may have transported cavies to the US for breeding purposes ie new varieties. That's certainly the case with the rat club I belong to. And rats have been shipped from France to the U.S. in the cabin, so maybe try Air France.
Be aware that although the gps are certainly allowed to be moved UK to US , moving them in reverse is not possible without 6 months quarantine ie pet passports are only allowed for dogs, cats and ferrets.
FYI a guinea pig is not a rodent.
Old Jul 24th 2020, 9:42 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Uh, yes they are. They're of the order Rodentia.

As are your rats.

One would expect you would know that, being a member of a 'rat club' and all.

Last edited by civilservant; Jul 24th 2020 at 9:45 pm.
Old Jul 24th 2020, 10:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SquirrelRat
Cunard are very helpful apparently, so it might be worth speaking to them. If they take cats and dogs I don't see why they wouldn't take gps.
It might also be a good idea to talk to the UK and US. national guinea pig clubs. They may have transported cavies to the US for breeding purposes ie new varieties. That's certainly the case with the rat club I belong to. And rats have been shipped from France to the U.S. in the cabin, so maybe try Air France.
Be aware that although the gps are certainly allowed to be moved UK to US , moving them in reverse is not possible without 6 months quarantine ie pet passports are only allowed for dogs, cats and ferrets.
I doubt the QM2 will sail this year. The QM2 has kennels for cats and dogs...never heard of them accommodating any other animal.
Old Jul 25th 2020, 3:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

People fly horses around the world, Guinea Pigs should not be too difficult.
Old Jul 25th 2020, 4:16 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

we brought our rabbit to Texas and Lufthansa designated it a "rodent".....
this was 7 years ago though so best to check details. At the time, dear sweet little bunny wasn't allowed on a plane with passengers since she was a "rodent" never mind going in the cabin. She had to be in a double cage ( cage within a cage) and was transported on a cargo plane with 2 stops TLS-Paris-NYC-ATX. Cost about $1k. Dog was much easier and half the price. This was at the end of september when it's still pretty hot in these parts but she was ok.
Yes, I did think about trying to persuade littlest PF to find a new home for bunny but at 10 years old she was leaving behind all her friends etc so didn't push that one. Bunny is still alive and still chewing everything in sight and pooping everywhere.
Old Jul 25th 2020, 3:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
People fly horses around the world, Guinea Pigs should not be too difficult.
Exactly, and all sorts of other critters too, but we have circled all the way back to whether guinea pig owners are too scared to put them in a crate and ship them in the cargo hold.
Old Aug 22nd 2020, 8:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Re-home the guinea pigs and get new ones when you arrive ?
Old Aug 25th 2020, 8:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Re-home the guinea pigs and get new ones when you arrive ?
You make it sound like disposing of a kettle or TV.

Guinea pigs are engaging little animals, and I can't imagine just palming them off on somone else and "replacing" them on arrival in my new home (country).
Old Aug 25th 2020, 8:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

Guinea pigs are engaging little animals, and I can't imagine just palming them off on somone else and "replacing" them on arrival in my new home (country).
I could if it becomes too much of a PITA and how much it could cost
Old Aug 25th 2020, 8:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

In all my years loading planes only saw a Guinea Pig once, it wasn't living on arrival.

Saw lots and lots of rats and mice though, some might be surprised how many lab mice and rats are shipped by air, we had one flight we called Mickey Mouse express, once a week 40-50 containers filled with white lab mice.

baby chickens too mostly destined for egg farms.

Old Aug 25th 2020, 8:45 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Saw lots and lots of rats and mice though, some might be surprised how many lab mice and rats are shipped by air, we had one flight we called Mickey Mouse express, once a week 40-50 containers filled with white lab mice.
Not that surprising really, they fly African Green Monkeys for testing too and they are nasty, bitey things.

I could if it becomes too much of a PITA and how much it could cost
For some, that price doesn't exist. I know that I would pay whatever I had too to fix my cat, Tiger, if he was sick or if we have to move. Hell he even has medical insurance!
Old Aug 25th 2020, 9:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Not that surprising really, they fly African Green Monkeys for testing too and they are nasty, bitey things.

For some, that price doesn't exist. I know that I would pay whatever I had too to fix my cat, Tiger, if he was sick or if we have to move. Hell he even has medical insurance!
Luckily never saw a monkey....

Our dog has health insurance too, I know she can't fly well, so as long as she is living, we still stay firmly in Canada or the US, I would never move unless she could come with.

Old Aug 26th 2020, 2:36 am
BE Enthusiast

sid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

Not really alike, as guinea pigs do not have the same electrical compatibility issues as those appliances.
Although the GPs expectations may well change on arrival in the US. They will want a bigger cage and three instead of one hamster wheels.

This article suggests that AA and United allow guinea pigs in the cabin:
https://www.cuteness.com/blog/conten...uinea-pigs-fly

Old Aug 26th 2020, 6:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you're allergic, I don't see the problem. Cats are very quiet animals.
I am totally allergic to cats and I'd have a fit if I were seated next to a couple of cats!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.