Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Transport Statement on Airport Security in the UK

Transport Statement on Airport Security in the UK

Old Aug 10th 2006, 7:24 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Default Transport Statement on Airport Security in the UK

UK Department for Transport Statement on Airport Security in the UK
Department for Transport, August 10, 2006

The Department for Transport has issued the following statement:

"Following this morning's police action, security at all UK airports has been increased and additional security measures have been put in place for all flights.

"With immediate effect, the following arrangements apply to all passengers starting their journey at a UK airport and to those transferring between flights at a UK airport.

"All cabin baggage must be processed as hold baggage and carried in the hold of passenger aircraft departing UK airports.

"Passengers may take through the airport security search point, in a single (ideally transparent) plastic carrier bag, only the following items. Nothing may be carried in pockets:

pocket size wallets and pocket size purses plus contents (for example money, credit cards, identity cards etc (not handbags));
travel documents essential for the journey (for example passports and travel tickets);
prescription medicines and medical items sufficient and essential for the flight (eg diabetic kit), except in liquid form unless verified as authentic.
spectacles and sunglasses, without cases.
contact lens holders, without bottles of solution.
for those traveling with an infant: baby food, milk (the contents of each bottle must be tasted by the accompanying passenger) and sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight (nappies, wipes, creams and nappy disposal bags). female sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight, if unboxed (eg tampons, pads, towels and wipes).
tissues (unboxed) and/or handkerchiefs
keys (but no electrical key fobs)
"All passengers must be hand searched, and their footwear and all the items they are carrying must be x-ray screened.

"Pushchairs and walking aids must be x-ray screened, and only airport-provided wheelchairs may pass through the screening point.

"In addition to the above, all passengers boarding flights to the USA and all the items they are carrying, including those acquired after the central screening point, must be subjected to secondary search at the boarding gate. Any liquids discovered must be removed from the passenger.

"There are no changes to current hold baggage security measures.

"Regrettably, significant delays at airports are inevitable. Passengers are being asked to allow themselves plenty of extra time and to ensure that other than the few permitted items listed above, all their belongings are placed in their hold baggage and checked in.

"These additional security measures will make travel more difficult for passengers, particularly at such a busy time of the year. But they are necessary and will continue to keep flights from UK airports properly secure. We hope that these measures, which are being kept under review by the government, will need to be in place for a limited period only. In light of the threat to aviation and the need to respond to it, we are asking the traveling public to be patient and understanding and to cooperate fully with airport security staff and the police.

"If passengers have any questions on their travel arrangements or security in place at airports they should contact their airline or carrier."

This email was sent by: British Consulate-General, New York
845 Third Avenue New York, NY, 10022 USA
Old Aug 10th 2006, 7:38 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Transport Statement on Airport Security in the UK

imo not to much for travellers to abide by for a few hrs - if that's the way to beat the terrorists then so be it .....hand luggage was getting ridiculous anyway.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

cinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
imo not to much for travellers to abide by for a few hrs - if that's the way to beat the terrorists then so be it .....hand luggage was getting ridiculous anyway.
I always like to have a change of undies and a clean T-shirt, so that if/when they lose my main baggage, I can at least smell presentable while I shop for spares.

And the thought of carrying my "female sanitary items" in a clear plastic bag isn't too appealing.

I'm all for a bit of indignity if it means not dying, but they always seem to go way OTT immediately after an incident like this.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 10:47 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by cinnabar
I always like to have a change of undies and a clean T-shirt, so that if/when they lose my main baggage, I can at least smell presentable while I shop for spares.

And the thought of carrying my "female sanitary items" in a clear plastic bag isn't too appealing.

I'm all for a bit of indignity if it means not dying, but they always seem to go way OTT immediately after an incident like this.

yeah i know what you mean....just have to wash 'em through
Old Aug 10th 2006, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to stick to the kind that look like little sweeties in funky bright wrappers
it saves a wee bit of face My hubbies always thinking they are candy when rummaging thru my handbag!
Old Aug 10th 2006, 11:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tbag
My hubbies always thinking they are candy when rummaging thru my handbag!
What OH rummaging through my Handbag, Divorce plans drawn up
Old Aug 10th 2006, 11:04 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by britvic
too true...omg
Old Aug 10th 2006, 11:07 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

So whose Y fronts do you keep in your handbag Vic? Hmm, hmm.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

cinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to stick to the kind that look like little sweeties in funky bright wrappers
it saves a wee bit of face My hubbies always thinking they are candy when rummaging thru my handbag!
Mine won't rummage through my handbag, even with permission. If he really absolutely has to, he does it at arm's length like I stuffed it with landmines or something.

I suppose it makes sense that the airport security boys are in a flap, if they think they're going to have to go through ladies' handbags. "Make 'em put everything in the hold, I'm not messing with that .... stuff".
Old Aug 10th 2006, 11:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
too true...omg
If he wanted something from my Bag, he hands it to me, and I do the same to him if I need anything from his Wallet Just thought that to be common courtesy.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a sweetie junkie ALWAYS have to have a few bits of candy in my bag
My new favorite discovery is www.handycandy.com it has all the old fashioned sweets that you used to buy in a "quarter of" I cant live without my penny sweets and marzipan teacakes especially on a plane, ooh and Foxes liquorice sweets that taste like aniseed twists...yummy
Account Closed

If he wanted something from my Bag, he hands it to me, and I do the same to him if I need anything from his Wallet Just thought that to be common courtesy.

actually that's exactly what mine does...he'd never just go in the bag but hand it to me first...very polite boys we have
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
So whose Y fronts do you keep in your handbag Vic? Hmm, hmm.
LOL, Y fronts just dont go there
Old Aug 10th 2006, 11:14 pm
Account Closed

I'm a sweetie junkie ALWAYS have to have a few bits of candy in my bag
My new favorite discovery is www.handycandy.com it has all the old fashioned sweets that you used to buy in a "quarter of" I cant live without my penny sweets and marzipan teacakes especially on a plane, ooh and Foxes liquorice sweets that taste like aniseed twists...yummy
ohhh i love marzipan...stop it talking about food again coz i'm hank marvin
Old Aug 10th 2006, 11:14 pm
Account Closed

LOL, Y fronts just dont go there
ohhh i do, call 'em what you like

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.