British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Translating UK CV into US Resume (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/translating-uk-cv-into-us-resume-753941/)

HarryTheSpider Apr 5th 2012 1:22 pm

Translating UK CV into US Resume

Any advice welcome on translating UK qualifications such as o levels into something a US recruiter might understand enough to stop them putting Mrs HTS's application in the bin?

Mucho grassy arse in advance.

SultanOfSwing Apr 5th 2012 2:38 pm

Re: Translating UK CV into US Resume

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider (Post 9990621)
Any advice welcome on translating UK qualifications such as o levels into something a US recruiter might understand enough to stop them putting Mrs HTS's application in the bin?

Mucho grassy arse in advance.

That might explain where mine have been going :unsure:

I usually try to put a short (very short) explanation that A-levels are roughly equivalent to a US high school diploma. I usually mention the GCSEs as well but since they were done at 16 and not 18, I usually don't dwell on them. I do have some uni time though, so I base it on faith that the fact that I was admitted into a university should demonstrate that my secondary education is satsfactory for their purposes.

I have been able to get a few interviews using that set-up, so maybe that's enough. Or, it could be a load of old bollocks. Your mileage may vary ...

Nutmegger Apr 5th 2012 3:40 pm

Monster offers free examples of resumes for various professions:

http://career-advice.monster.com/res...y/article.aspx

Rather than listing O levels individually, it might be better to just say "graduated from such and such high school" -- but if there are higher levels of education, there's no need to mention O levels.

MrBaker2011 Apr 5th 2012 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 9990746)
That might explain where mine have been going :unsure:

I usually try to put a short (very short) explanation that A-levels are roughly equivalent to a US high school diploma. I usually mention the GCSEs as well but since they were done at 16 and not 18, I usually don't dwell on them. I do have some uni time though, so I base it on faith that the fact that I was admitted into a university should demonstrate that my secondary education is satsfactory for their purposes.

I have been able to get a few interviews using that set-up, so maybe that's enough. Or, it could be a load of old bollocks. Your mileage may vary ...

I was always under the impression an A-level was like an Associates Degree as they are taken at college over 2 years (??), but pop the question into Google and you get a lot of conflicting responses.

sir_eccles Apr 5th 2012 9:13 pm

It might depend on what the job is.

Sally Redux Apr 5th 2012 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by MrBaker2011 (Post 9991302)
I was always under the impression an A-level was like an Associates Degree as they are taken at college over 2 years (??), but pop the question into Google and you get a lot of conflicting responses.

Americans don't leave school until 18 though.

MrBaker2011 Apr 5th 2012 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9991421)
Americans don't leave school until 18 though.

Ah, OK so does that mean that a UK students A-levels would form part of a US high school diploma (major subjects)? Would a US student be able to major in 3 subjects? I am really unfamiliar with US schooling!

Poppy girl Apr 5th 2012 11:38 pm

I just lie and :fingerscrossed: my fingers lol

Lion in Winter Apr 5th 2012 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by MrBaker2011 (Post 9991474)
Ah, OK so does that mean that a UK students A-levels would form part of a US high school diploma (major subjects)? Would a US student be able to major in 3 subjects? I am really unfamiliar with US schooling!

My A levels meant that a major US university let me do a four-year degree in three years.

Honestly, I would seek out help in americanizing your cv from a professional cv writer, or at least look at examples online. It's more than just explaining qualifications - there is a whole different way of presenting oneself here that is far more directly and explicitly self-promoting than is usual in the UK, and it's very difficult for us to get that right. I've been here a long time, and for my next job search I still want someone else to look at it.

Sally Redux Apr 6th 2012 12:42 am

Originally Posted by MrBaker2011 (Post 9991474)

It gets complicated because you get different levels of classes in US high school, the higher levels definitely compare with A-levels in my view. However, the requirements for just graduating high school are fairly basic. So it would be difficult to generalize. You can get college credit for AP (advanced placement) subjects so perhaps A-levels are viewed in this way - Lion in Winter's experience suggests so. Just not sure A-levels could be seen as the whole of an Associate Degree.

SATX John Apr 6th 2012 12:59 am

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 9991519)
My A levels meant that a major US university let me do a four-year degree in three years.

Honestly, I would seek out help in americanizing your cv from a professional cv writer, or at least look at examples online. It's more than just explaining qualifications - there is a whole different way of presenting oneself here that is far more directly and explicitly self-promoting than is usual in the UK, and it's very difficult for us to get that right. I've been here a long time, and for my next job search I still want someone else to look at it.

Lion has it right. My wife has always had trouble with this area, until she went that route, and completed an american degree.

Most US companies want experience also, not just a degree. It is all how the entire resume is packaged for that position.

Cheers

SultanOfSwing Apr 6th 2012 1:22 am

Originally Posted by MrBaker2011 (Post 9991302)

That varies regionally. I did my A levels in school in sixth form after I did my GCSEs but that was a Northern Ireland grammar school, which is different from the English or Scottish systems, I believe.

HarryTheSpider Apr 6th 2012 2:51 am

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 9991589)
That varies regionally. I did my A levels in school in sixth form after I did my GCSEs but that was a Northern Ireland grammar school, which is different from the English or Scottish systems, I believe.

Yup - didn't some chemistry classes have a different focus? :eek:
(I can't talk - I did manage to blow a window & it's frame out of a small cricket pavilion when I was a teen in waiting...)

Lion in Winter Apr 6th 2012 2:54 am

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider (Post 9991652)
Yup - didn't some chemistry classes have a different focus? :eek:
(I can't talk - I did manage to blow a window & it's frame out of a small cricket pavilion when I was a teen in waiting...)

That's pretty good. I never managed anything better than completely stripping the varnish off the top of the lab bench while making soap.

I haven't used soap again to this day.

HarryTheSpider Apr 6th 2012 2:59 am

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 9991659)
That's pretty good. I never managed anything better than completely stripping the varnish off the top of the lab bench while making soap.

I haven't used soap again to this day.

Just been out walking the dogs - did wonder what that pleasant yet somehow almost overpowering scent was...:p

I should add that my 'explosion' such as it was, was not 'hollywood' grade, all rather limp - more 'keystone cops'!!