Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Transition from Reception to KG

Transition from Reception to KG

Old Jul 18th 2023, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

ElenaNik is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transition from Reception to KG

Just looking for some advice, as we will be moving to New Jersey from London in October- December depending on the visas. My older child will start reception in September and will need to go back to the KG in the US. Judging from the experience what is the best tips to try and have the smoothest transition from the big school to the nursery again.
Old Jul 18th 2023, 1:43 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transition from Reception to KG

Originally Posted by ElenaNik
Just looking for some advice, as we will be moving to New Jersey from London in October- December depending on the visas. My older child will start reception in September and will need to go back to the KG in the US. Judging from the experience what is the best tips to try and have the smoothest transition from the big school to the nursery again.
Your question strikes me as confusing. Do you read that your child will or will not attend kindergarten in the US?
Old Jul 18th 2023, 2:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

How old is your child? If not 5 yet, you could keep him/her in nursery/preschool so that s/he hasn't started 'big school' before you go.

But at that age, in all honesty s/he should adapt really easily and I wouldn't worry about it at all.
Old Jul 18th 2023, 5:51 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

I think your are getting hung up on names. I have not seen a Nursery here in CT, Our sons were in private Preschool before they were old enough for Kindergarten at 5. Our eldest is a December birthday so we “red shirted” him and put him in an extra year of private PreK (which was a more school like experience), he is now one of the oldest in his class, instead of being the youngest. If they had not been in private Preschool they could have gone to PreK at our public school aged 4, but that’s only a half day AM or PM so we choose to stay private as it’s a longer day with a nap and lunch. Not sure what you are expecting but both the private PreK seemed to be a very similar experience, they were already being taught and doing similar activities…
Old Jul 18th 2023, 6:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
.... But at that age, in all honesty s/he should adapt really easily and I wouldn't worry about it at all.
This,
Originally Posted by tht
I think you're are getting hung up on names. ....
And this!

I don't know what preconceptions you have about "kindergarten", but that is just the name of the first year that most children in the US attend school, nothing more, nothing less.

Similar to Tht above, my daughter was in a private daycare five days a week from age two, during which time she developed from being a toddler to being totally ready for school, i.e. seamless transition into kindergarten. Depending on the school, local demographics, and parenting practices in your area, some, most, or nearly all children in kindergarten may be already fairly familiar with a school-like environment when they start at kindergarten because they have been in a daycare, and the (private) school my daughter transitioned to had a requirement that all children entering kindergarten had to either have been a pre-school/ day care facility for at least one year, or they would be put into the school's pre-K year before transitioning to kindergarten.
Old Jul 18th 2023, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Your question strikes me as confusing. Do you read that your child will or will not attend kindergarten in the US?
She will attend Kindergarten as she will turn 5 in December.
Old Jul 18th 2023, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
How old is your child? If not 5 yet, you could keep him/her in nursery/preschool so that s/he hasn't started 'big school' before you go.

But at that age, in all honesty s/he should adapt really easily and I wouldn't worry about it at all.
She will turn 5 in December. I am considering leaving her at the nursery for the first two months, but at the same time all her friends will be going to reception so I am not sure it’s fair on her. I am mostly worried because she will have to go through so many changes in such a short period of time, i.e. nursery to reception and then again to nursery in a few months.
Old Jul 18th 2023, 8:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

She will attend Kindergarten as she will turn 5 in December.
She will start kindergarten in 2024.
In accordance with N.J.S.A. 18A:38-5, a student must be 5 years old by October 1 in order to have a statutory right to enrollment where a kindergarten program is offered by a public school.
By concession she may be admitted early, but is not guaranteed a place.
​​​​​​​New Jersey Statute states that anyone over the age of five and under the age of six is guaranteed enrollment in kindergarten. Four-year-olds may be admitted, though they are not guaranteed admittance; it would be up to local districts to admit a four-year-old child.
Old Jul 18th 2023, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tht
I think your are getting hung up on names. I have not seen a Nursery here in CT, Our sons were in private Preschool before they were old enough for Kindergarten at 5. Our eldest is a December birthday so we “red shirted” him and put him in an extra year of private PreK (which was a more school like experience), he is now one of the oldest in his class, instead of being the youngest. If they had not been in private Preschool they could have gone to PreK at our public school aged 4, but that’s only a half day AM or PM so we choose to stay private as it’s a longer day with a nap and lunch. Not sure what you are expecting but both the private PreK seemed to be a very similar experience, they were already being taught and doing similar activities…
Here in the UK she was going to the private Montessori pre-school where they were preparing them for the big school, so I will be looking for something similar in NJ for the sake of continuity.
Old Jul 18th 2023, 8:56 pm

She will turn 5 in December. I am considering leaving her at the nursery for the first two months, but at the same time all her friends will be going to reception so I am not sure it’s fair on her. I am mostly worried because she will have to go through so many changes in such a short period of time, i.e. nursery to reception and then again to nursery in a few months.
You are still fixated on the name - "Kindergarten" in the US is NOT a "nursery" class.
Old Jul 18th 2023, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
This,

And this!

I don't know what preconceptions you have about "kindergarten", but that is just the name of the first year that most children in the US attend school, nothing more, nothing less.

Similar to Tht above, my daughter was in a private daycare five days a week from age two, during which time she developed from being a toddler to being totally ready for school, i.e. seamless transition into kindergarten. Depending on the school, local demographics, and parenting practices in your area, some, most, or nearly all children in kindergarten may be already fairly familiar with a school-like environment when they start at kindergarten because they have been in a daycare, and the (private) school my daughter transitioned to had a requirement that all children entering kindergarten had to either have been a pre-school/ day care facility for at least one year, or they would be put into the school's pre-K year before transitioning to kindergarten.
I completely understand that and I have no preconceptions about kindergarten whatsoever, thanks for pointing out that KG is more like reception in the US, this will help in the transition.
Old Jul 19th 2023, 7:44 pm
Living the NYC dream

kateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond repute

With a December birthday, she won't go to Kindergarten in NJ until 2024. It varies state to state (my October born child started Kindergarten when she was 4 as December is the cutoff in NY).