British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Transit visa required for K1? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/transit-visa-required-k1-343343/)

flipperz_39 Dec 18th 2005 12:40 am

Transit visa required for K1?

Hello experts:

I live in Canada and will be flying down to the US on a K1 visa.
i'll have to change my flight in Chicago before reaching my destination in North Carolina.

I am not a canadian citizen and my real question is if I'll require a transit visa for the stop-over in Chicago. I am hoping i wont need a transit visa because my intention is to move to the US permanently. But someone please confirm?

My stop-over in Chicago is for like 3 hours before proceeding to North Carolina. Would i have to 'submit' my brown envelope with the K1 visa to the INS/Homeland Security in Chicago?? And would i be granted a K1 visa in Chicago?

Would 3 hours be sufficient time to be granted a K1? I'm originally from pakistan, so I am sure the Immigration people will have million questions to ask.

Can anyone who has been through the same ordeal please share their experience? If i will be granted the K1 visa in Chicago, then may be i should cancel my connecting flight to North Carolina and look for a different flight.

I havent been able to get any useful from any travel agent so far.

thanks!

Folinskyinla Dec 18th 2005 1:21 am

Re: Transit visa required for K1?

Originally Posted by flipperz_39
Hello experts:

I live in Canada and will be flying down to the US on a K1 visa.
i'll have to change my flight in Chicago before reaching my destination in North Carolina.

I am not a canadian citizen and my real question is if I'll require a transit visa for the stop-over in Chicago. I am hoping i wont need a transit visa because my intention is to move to the US permanently. But someone please confirm?

My stop-over in Chicago is for like 3 hours before proceeding to North Carolina. Would i have to 'submit' my brown envelope with the K1 visa to the INS/Homeland Security in Chicago?? And would i be granted a K1 visa in Chicago?

Would 3 hours be sufficient time to be granted a K1? I'm originally from pakistan, so I am sure the Immigration people will have million questions to ask.

Can anyone who has been through the same ordeal please share their experience? If i will be granted the K1 visa in Chicago, then may be i should cancel my connecting flight to North Carolina and look for a different flight.

I havent been able to get any useful from any travel agent so far.

thanks!

Hi:

For your information, the Confederacy LOST in 1865. In any case, the Federal Government never recognized the seccession in any case. Illinois and North Carolina are both part of the United States.

Welcome to the USA.

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 18th 2005 1:21 am

Most Canadian airports have US Immigration and you will clear there.

Noorah101 Dec 18th 2005 2:17 am

You should get the K-1 visa in your passport either at or just after your interview at the consulate, if you are approved. Meaning you'll get the K-1 visa before you leave Canada. You don't get the K-1 visa at the POE in the USA.

A transit visa would perhaps be needed if you were having to stop for any length of time in a different country on your way to the USA, which is not your case.

Rene

flipperz_39 Dec 18th 2005 2:36 am

Hello David/Folinskyinla:

thank you for your responses!!
Appreciate it.

David, you have answered my question. Thats exactly what i was looking. Since my US immigration will be cleared in Canada, I wont have to worry anything else.

Thanks for your time and attention!

flipper

Thans

Originally Posted by Boiler

flipperz_39 Dec 18th 2005 2:37 am

Hello Noorah101:

Thanks for your response.

Boiler/David answered my concern.

Appreciate your response.

Regars,
flipper

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You should get the K-1 visa in your passport either at or just after your interview at the consulate, if you are approved. Meaning you'll get the K-1 visa before you leave Canada. You don't get the K-1 visa at the POE in the USA.

A transit visa would perhaps be needed if you were having to stop for any length of time in a different country on your way to the USA, which is not your case.

Rene

andrea874 Dec 18th 2005 3:06 am

Originally Posted by Boiler

Not "most"... only a couple

Folinskyinla Dec 18th 2005 4:40 am

Originally Posted by andrea874
Not "most"... only a couple

Hi:

Its more than a "couple." However, the point for OP is that you clear US CBP at the INITIAL port of entry -- which may be a "PFI" in Canada. [On one return from the Middle East in Toronto, I cleared Candian border formalities, lugged my bags upstairs and then cleared US PFI -- all in 30 minutes!]