Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Transferring UK Pension to QROPS

Transferring UK Pension to QROPS

Old Mar 7th 2017, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

matrix1781 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transferring UK Pension to QROPS

I have a pot of pension sitting in UK and have been working in the US for a couple of years now. Rather than leave my pension in UK, I would like to transfer it to HMRC approved QROPS. However, there doesn't seemed to be many of them listed on the HMRC website. ****** have this spiel about being able to facilitate QROPS. However, not sure if anyone has used it before and has any feedback on either ****** or any other institutions similar to them.

Thanks
Old Mar 7th 2017, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transferring UK Pension to QROPS

Search this forum for QROPS. There has been plenty of recent discussion on it.

Long story short is that you shouldn't.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the most recent thread.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-5.../#post12196409

If you can, block the company who contacted you from calling you again.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 5:32 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owen778
Here is the most recent thread.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-5.../#post12196409

If you can, block the company who contacted you from calling you again.
Don't even think about a QROPS as a US citizen or resident. The company that I think you spoke to will say their Maltese QROPS are set up for US residents. They are simply wrong and trying to get at your money.

The US/UK tax treaty has plenty of protection in place for your UK pension. If you don't like you current UK provider then look at moving your pension within the UK. However, as a UK non-resident, you'll probably find that very difficult to do.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
Don't even think about a QROPS as a US citizen or resident. The company that I think you spoke to will say their Maltese QROPS are set up for US residents. They are simply wrong and trying to get at your money.

The US/UK tax treaty has plenty of protection in place for your UK pension. If you don't like you current UK provider then look at moving your pension within the UK. However, as a UK non-resident, you'll probably find that very difficult to do.
I consolidated three small UK pensions with AJ Bell. They did accept me as a permanent US resident.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 5:51 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
I consolidated three small UK pensions with AJ Bell. They did accept me as a permanent US resident.
Good to know
Old Mar 24th 2017, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

wardmatt is an unknown quantity at this point

DeVeere sold me a Malta QROPS knowing that I was a US resident. Long story short, it cost me about $50K. Now DeVeere Frankfurt (where I was when I took out the QROPS) wont talk to me as I am back in the USA and DeVeere USA wont talk to me until I pay them more money.
Old Mar 24th 2017, 9:37 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

The one consolation is that US residents with pensions in the UK are also having difficulty talking to their pension providers.