Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Transferring Sterling into US bank

Transferring Sterling into US bank

Old Aug 16th 2017, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute
Default Transferring Sterling into US bank

Could anyone please recommend the best way and the best financial company to use to transfer sterling into a US bank account while avoiding a ton of fees and also getting a good exchange rate? Is it best to transfer directly into my checking account? Someone on another thread had mentioned Transferwise. The only other company I know of is Fair FX but I havent done this for 15 years and the market has totally changed int hat time Im sure.

Also is there a US tax implication for me? Would I have to declare the money on my tax return? Its a gift and in the UK I believe these are tax free, no idea about here.

Thanks all I appreciate your input -as always.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transferring Sterling into US bank

Originally Posted by Adnams
Could anyone please recommend the best way and the best financial company to use to transfer sterling into a US bank account while avoiding a ton of fees and also getting a good exchange rate? Is it best to transfer directly into my checking account? Someone on another thread had mentioned Transferwise. The only other company I know of is Fair FX but I havent done this for 15 years and the market has totally changed int hat time Im sure.

Also is there a US tax implication for me? Would I have to declare the money on my tax return? Its a gift and in the UK I believe these are tax free, no idea about here.

Thanks all I appreciate your input -as always.
Transferwise is the one mentioned most often here over recent months and I use them and have been very satisfied with their service. I have also used, and been very satisfied with, Torfx.

There are many others, look here:
Best Money Transfer Services *� * Compare International Money Transfers

There is no tax implication for the actual transfer. Others will say how the gift, whether transferred or not, affects your taxes here.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Dominic0012 is an unknown quantity at this point

The answer to this question depends on your domicile.

how long have you been living in the U.S. for and what is your residency status?
Old Aug 16th 2017, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much.
We've been here 15 years, currently GC and about to submit N400's.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

Ok in that case you would be a U.S. Domicile and can use the gift limits in the U.S. which is up to $14,000 per donee

You get this limit every year so you could send more next tax year also up to $14k to make sure you dont have to pay tax.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 7:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dominic0012
Ok in that case you would be a U.S. Domicile and can use the gift limits in the U.S. which is up to $14,000 per donee

You get this limit every year so you could send more next tax year also up to $14k to make sure you dont have to pay tax.
But it is the donor who pays US gift tax, not the recipient, so there is no tax to be paid in the US on gifts from overseas made by donors who are not subject to US taxes.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 16th 2017 at 8:01 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ok thank you I didn't realize that there was a limit. So after $14K any additional funds are liable to be counted as income on our tax return?
Old Aug 16th 2017, 8:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Ok thank you I didn't realize that there was a limit. ....
There isn't! He has the wrong end of the stick (see my post above).
Old Aug 16th 2017, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

Apologies adnams i thought that you were the one giving the gift not receiving i should have got that from transferring sterling to a U.S. bank account.

if you are receiving the gift it is received you are the donee and it is recieved tax free as Pulaski mentioned.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski
But it is the donor who pays US gift tax, not the recipient, so there is no tax to be paid in the US on gifts from overseas made by donors who are not subject to US taxes.

Oooops sorry didnt see your response
Old Aug 16th 2017, 8:11 pm

Oooops sorry didnt see your response
NP

BTW In the UK gifts can potential get caught up in inheritance tax if the donor dies within seven years of the gift. People think gifts are free of tax, but gifts are technically called "potentially exempt transfers"*, which only truly escape tax inheritance tax issues if the donor is still alive on the seventh anniversary of the gift.

* There are special rules for gifts on the occasion of marriage.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Apologies adnams i thought that you were the one giving the gift not receiving i should have got that from transferring sterling to a U.S. bank account.

if you are receiving the gift it is received you are the donee and it is recieved tax free as Pulaski mentioned.
And there is no limit on the amount of the $ gift? To still be tax free?
Old Aug 16th 2017, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Transferwise fast and easy for me to use. Sent money both ways quite a few times.

If the money is large give your bank the heads up.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by tom169
..... If the money is large give your bank the heads up.
This is good advice for transfers in both directions because banks don't like surprises.
Old Aug 17th 2017, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski
NP

BTW In the UK gifts can potential get caught up in inheritance tax if the donor dies within seven years of the gift. People think gifts are free of tax, but gifts are technically called "potentially exempt transfers"*, which only truly escape tax inheritance tax issues if the donor is still alive on the seventh anniversary of the gift.

* There are special rules for gifts on the occasion of marriage.
Ok so the gift is basically to help with my children's college expenses and its not mega huge but will be a big help for them and us. Hopefully my parents wont die within 7 years but I am also kind of really thinking why would I need to declare this?. Its a drop in the ocean for the authorities. Is it possible to wire it over and drop it in a mutual fund or 529 plan without a pip squeak? Or is that well, well dodgey?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.