British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Transferring small amoutns of $$$ to UK Bank (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/transferring-small-amoutns-%24%24%24-uk-bank-349823/)

John Murray Jan 22nd 2006 2:14 pm

Transferring small amoutns of $$$ to UK Bank

I've been using a UK Paypal Account, linked to my UK checking account, to transfer a couple of hundred dollars from my US bank to my UK bank to cover direct debit for a loan I still have going back home.

I can't "verify" my UK paypal account because I'm now in US permanently, and I can't link a UK bank Account to my US Paypal Account (which is verified). I've reached my limit of non-verified transactions with my UK paypal account.

I've resigned myself to the fact I'll probably need to use my bank to transfer money from my US bank to my UK bank - but knowing the US banks, there will be a service fee each month when I transfer my money back.

Verification needs me to provide a UK landline number and they'll call it and the person answering needs to confirm who they are - I believe by providing a PIN number that they give you.

Has anyone vefiried a UK paypal Account? Is it an automated call where you're asked to use the keys to enter your pin? (if, so, I could get one of my family members back home to do this)

Otherwise, what's the cheapest (and easiest) way to transfer about $300 a month back to a UK bank?

BigDavyG Jan 22nd 2006 2:36 pm

Re: Transferring small amoutns of $$$ to UK Bank

Originally Posted by John Murray
I've been using a UK Paypal Account, linked to my UK checking account, to transfer a couple of hundred dollars from my US bank to my UK bank to cover direct debit for a loan I still have going back home.

I can't "verify" my UK paypal account because I'm now in US permanently, and I can't link a UK bank Account to my US Paypal Account (which is verified). I've reached my limit of non-verified transactions with my UK paypal account.

I've resigned myself to the fact I'll probably need to use my bank to transfer money from my US bank to my UK bank - but knowing the US banks, there will be a service fee each month when I transfer my money back.

Verification needs me to provide a UK landline number and they'll call it and the person answering needs to confirm who they are - I believe by providing a PIN number that they give you.

Has anyone vefiried a UK paypal Account? Is it an automated call where you're asked to use the keys to enter your pin? (if, so, I could get one of my family members back home to do this)

Otherwise, what's the cheapest (and easiest) way to transfer about $300 a month back to a UK bank?

xe.com
Takes a week or two to set up the account but if you pay them by EFT nd let then send the cash to the UK by draft you will be paying about 3% over spot rate. When I priced up banks it was working out at 10% over spot.
Of course for this to work you will need the draft to go to someone in the UK who can pay it into your bank account for you. Otherwise they can wire the cash to your UK account - they charge a minimal fee for that but then your UK bank will prob charge additional fees on top - you could minimize this by transferring a bigger sum every few months.
If you use the cheap option it takes 2 weeks from the time you initiate the transaction to the time the draft clears into your UK account, and I've used them for amounts up to $2.5k so I'm pretty confident about their service (I've read about people using them to transfer proceeds from house sales !!).

nottsinCT Jan 22nd 2006 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by John Murray

I hooked up mine all they did was send me 2 deposits into my account (which I picked up from my online banking) and I had to enter the 2 amounts when I signed into paypal. there was no telephone conversation it would cost them too much. and that was the same way I did my US account as well. They may have changed the rules but I set mine up last June and that is how it was done.

you also have the option of Western union they charge $29 for transferring $300 and you send it to a place where you live and someone picks it up you can do that online no probs. and I am sure there is many more.

rincewind Jan 22nd 2006 3:44 pm

Keep using PayPal. I had a nightmare with XE.com.

Verify your PayPal account via mail. They will send a number to your address in the UK (my parents house is listed for all my UK banking) and then enter it when needed.

XE are great at getting you set-up, but crap when it comes to helping you. I dropped them and worked out it was costing me about the same through PayPal.