British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Transferring Post-Grad Credits to USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/transferring-post-grad-credits-usa-869124/)

ScottUK1990 Dec 12th 2015 2:19 pm

Transferring Post-Grad Credits to USA

Hi all,

I know there are a bunch of degree transfer posts but I can't find one specific to my situation.

I've been studying for my masters degree (in sports rehabilitation) here in the UK and have almost finished the course - just my dissertation/thesis left to do.
However I'm moving to the US in two weeks time and therefore I can foresee that this research project is going to present a problem. Normally I'd do a lab/clinic based project at the university however this isn't going to be possible, so my thoughts are that I'd do a systematic review (non-testing based research). My concern now is that the staff on my course aren't particularly good at communicating whatsoever, and without being in the UK I can see there being issues.

So my question is - does anyone know if it is possible to transfer UK masters/post graduate credits to a US institution and finish an MSc there (assuming the course is similar)? The rough US equivalents of my MSc are Athletic Training or Sports Medicine.

This isn't something I'd do 100%, but I'm looking into it as a back-up plan currently. I also figure it'd be a benefit to me having a MSc awarded from a US college.

Thanks!

Bob Dec 12th 2015 9:05 pm

Re: Transferring Post-Grad Credits to USA

You're going to have to ask the institute you're interested in. They will all have different requirements for transferring credits etc. So what someone has experienced at Harvard would be pretty irrelevant to Berkeley etc.

retzie Dec 13th 2015 3:39 am

Universities have a maximum to which they will allow transferred credit. It is generally pretty low - they prefer to award a degree for which the majority of work was completed in-house. I wouldn't bank on transferring more than half of your existing credits; you certainly shouldn't expect to just do your dissertation and graduate.

TBH, this is pretty bad timing. It would be better to stay put until you graduate, or to have not started at all, leaving you clear to start a US program from scratch. I imagine you have your reasons for pressing ahead, so you'll need to be prepared to take this one on the chin.

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 13th 2015 12:09 pm

Why not find somewhere in the US to do the lab/clinic work or just finish it before you leave.

Pulaski Dec 13th 2015 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 11813396)
Why not find somewhere in the US to do the lab/clinic work ....

An unqualified individual can't just "set up shop" to do lab/clinic work without the backing and oversight of a bona fide academic program.

... or just finish it before you leave.
IMO this is by far the best, easiest, and most realistic idea. The OP will have the rest of his life together with his wife, so it is better to spend a few months wrapping up his masters degree than sacrifice it for an immediate move to the US.

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 13th 2015 12:17 pm

I was thinking of a US based location approved by his Uni. But just getting er done is the most obvious solution.

ScottUK1990 Dec 13th 2015 1:08 pm

Thanks for all the responses and info, much appreciated.

As I said originally, I am able to complete the final element (research project) remotely in the US, it doesn't have to be a lab/testing-based project (albeit that would be easier). My reason for asking if it'd be possible is that I can foresee communication problems between myself and my UK university, however it isn't the end of the world. If it was a straight-shot to just transfer credits then I'd take that option but as it clearly sounds like it won't be then I'll just suck it up and deal with the communication headache. Sticking around in the UK isn't viable any longer due to K-1 medical expiration, end of employment (and therefore money), wedding being booked/paid for, and the fact we've been apart 3 years.

If the thesis all falls apart then I'll rethink options and look into how many credits I could transfer and complete the additional credits/classes (however many that may be) at a US university. My career plans are to work within collegiate sport so there's a potential chance that as part of an employment package there would be funds towards education.

Thanks again for the answers.

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 13th 2015 2:10 pm

Transfer to another UK institution who you can work with?

LOTS of money in College sport.

ScottUK1990 Dec 13th 2015 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 11813446)
Transfer to another UK institution who you can work with?

LOTS of money in College sport.

Probably not worth the hassle and I've only got two weeks until I'm based in the US. I'll figure something out. Will have to make a trip down there to the university and figure out what's going on, sounds like a few complaints have been made already.

Yeah college sport's a big business! Not easy to get a job in it but I've got a foot in the door in a couple of places and a few contacts in others.