Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Transferring Money from US to UK

Transferring Money from US to UK

Old Apr 10th 2001, 1:34 pm
Cognitus

[usenetquote2]>>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> I have had all sorts of problems making regular transfers of cash from the US to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> UK accounts to pay my standing orders.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> Our own local bank has no International Department (typical US) and charges $40 to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> make a transfer.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> HSBC charges $20 but said it would make no difference to the charges if I had an[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> account there. They also said it would make no difference if I had an HSBC account[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> in the UK too.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> There is no longer a branch of Natwest here.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> What do people recommend to make payments for Insurance, Child support, VISA Bill[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> etc. etc.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> --[/usenetquote2]

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

In fact my banker at Bank of America today told me they had B of A ATMs in
London, so there would be no transfer fee (he thought) tho I asked what
happened because conversion to pounds certainly will not come out even???

>

Old Apr 10th 2001, 6:01 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

I have had all sorts of problems making regular transfers of cash from the US to UK accounts to pay my standing orders.

Our own local bank has no International Department (typical US) and charges $40 to make a transfer.

HSBC charges $20 but said it would make no difference to the charges if I had an account there. They also said it would make no difference if I had an HSBC account in the UK too.

There is no longer a branch of Natwest here.

What do people recommend to make payments for Insurance, Child support, VISA Bill etc. etc.
Old Apr 10th 2001, 11:31 pm
John Pezzano

TRPardoe wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Are you transferring money to yourself or to only a few other people (like an ex
spouse)? If so, open an account at another bank in the U.S. for each person. Get an
ATM card and give it to that person along with the PIN. Then put money in the
accounts to cover the amount to be withdrawn. The other person can then take out the
money for next to no cost to you.

AAA also has a rechargeable ATM-type card that might do what you want.

John

Old Apr 11th 2001, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond repute

We have the same problem. Fortunately we only get charged $25 per transaction.

For the direct debits, maybe a credit card could be used. As added protection, you could a card that requires a deposit and use it solely for the purpose of paying bills.

For transferring money to an individual, have you tried Western Union. I don't believe they deposit the money into an account though, so it would mean the recipient would have to collect it from a Western Union office in the UK.

Failing that, you could just change your address, phone number and don't pay anything!
Old Apr 11th 2001, 9:49 am
Miguel Cruz

>
    >
    >

No, but it's not much worse than the rate you get with TT, so for non-huge amounts
(after a certain point the flat charge no longer exceeds the rate disadvantage) it's
pretty feasible.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos and tales from around the world: http://travel.u.nu

Old Apr 14th 2001, 1:24 pm
Chris Burnett

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

I think Citibank (www.citibank.co.uk) do "paired" or "linked" USD/GBP current
accounts that allow you to move money between the two accounts paying only the
exchange rate (little or no charges IIRC). Also money transferred from your GBP to
USD account (& vica - versa) is available almost immediately.

I looked into this a while ago for travelling to the US and europe on a regular basis
(they do a Euro current account too), but didn't go ahead with it in the end.

I don't know if Citibank are any good from a customer service point of view , but
there looked to me more detailed info available on their site.

Cheers,

Chris

--
Chris Burnett [email protected] SPAM Filter - remove XXX to reply

Old Apr 14th 2001, 8:33 pm
Miguel Cruz

>
    >

Not sure how they are in the UK (at the time you had to have a pretty fair amount of
money to open account with them) but in the US I'm absolutely thrilled with their
retail banking customer service - and, of course, the convenience of worldwide
branches and freecall numbers.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos and tales from around the world: http://travel.u.nu