Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Transferring money from UK to USA

Transferring money from UK to USA

Old Mar 23rd 2017, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transferring money from UK to USA

Originally Posted by LouisB
Yeah as complex as it may be, moving money electronically is a software process and some data transfer, assuming two participating banks. There is no real reason to charge $25+ in 2017, IMHO.

Anyway, I have a bunch of $ in the Uk converted previously to help hedge fx risk while £ was on the slide.

Although the currency is the same, maybe I can still use transferwise to do it and it will be cheaper than the international transfer.

Looks like they charge 1% for amounts up to $5k

I should probably register since I need to find a good way of moving money between countries and locations, from time to time.
I just got a quote from TWise and $5,000 will get you £3,961.68 at this moment, after a fee of $42.14 (0.8%).
Attached Thumbnails Transferring money from UK to USA-screen-shot-2017-03-23-14.22.41.png  
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 2:25 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

If you use an FX company then you can fix the rate for up to a year ( well, you used to be able to). Worldfirst charges us $10 but from past experience, their rate more than makes up for that when compared to the bank. We don't get charged anything from the banks at either end.

They make it really easy to do once you have an account and certainly transferring between London and US, it arrives the same day.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like tranferwise can't do a same currency international transfer, they can't receive dollars $ from the UK. Shame.

However, for future conversions back and forth I'll be sure to try them out.

Typically you see a few business days for it to clear? Less than 5?
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouisB
Looks like tranferwise can't do a same currency international transfer, they can't receive dollars $ from the UK. Shame.

However, for future conversions back and forth I'll be sure to try them out.

Typically you see a few business days for it to clear? Less than 5?
My experience is for 3 business days or less for smaller amounts.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

bartholemues is an unknown quantity at this point

I can recommend CurrencyFair as another option, though it doesn't look like they do USD to USD either I'm afraid. I've used them to move currency around numerous times now. It took less than 2 days and cost $4 to transfer a decent sum into my US bank account.

The end to end transfers worked out slightly better than TransferWise for me, it adds up over large amounts though! Feel free to PM me if you'd like a referral link for a small bonus, don't want to break any rules by posting here.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Transferwise don't actually move the money between currencies in a traditional sense. They have float accounts in each currency they operate in and transfer the currency in and out as people buy and sell.

That's probably why they wouldn't do a USD->USD.
Old Mar 24th 2017, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Transferwise don't actually move the money between currencies in a traditional sense. They have float accounts in each currency they operate in and transfer the currency in and out as people buy and sell.

That's probably why they wouldn't do a USD->USD.
Makes sense.

I'll use them in the future where I'm doing a conversion rather than straight international transfer.
Old Mar 24th 2017, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

fnorman is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=penguinsix;12209366]A transfer incurs no tax liability. It's simply moving it from one account to another.

Depends which way the transfer is. It's true there's no tax liability, but in some cases a transfer could trigger annual reporting requirements with large penalties for forgetting, e.g. a "US person" (including a citizen living anywhere is the world) moving dollars to a bank outside the US or between banks outside the US.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

My international wire worked $ to $ and only took 3 days or so.

Now signed up to transferwise too and sent some £ to $ as well.

They made that super easy didn't they good rate and fees too, very transparent.

Thanks for the tips!
Old Apr 1st 2017, 5:13 am
Just Joined

Dooron is an unknown quantity at this point

I started using Transferwise last year, I thought it was really good. If anyone finds a more competitive company please post.
Old Apr 1st 2017, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dooron
I started using Transferwise last year, I thought it was really good. If anyone finds a more competitive company please post.
Agree, I'm sold - very good. Daft it beats my international wire of money already held in $ but you live and learn I guess.

Next trick will be to find a decent UK/US international banking arrangement so money can be moved freely, however not sure this exists just yet. Especially for day to day banking and checking vs. Large sum deposits and international investments accounts.

Will keep looking.
Old May 2nd 2017, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

Faery is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
This is partially true but PenguinSix has mixed two different reporting processes - the trigger for routine reporting is absolute, there is no "change of pattern" trigger for reporting to the IRS. Amounts over US$10,000 are reported to the IRS, there is no tax implication and it is nothing to worry about - the bank takes care of it behind the scenes.

The other half of the story is money laundering reporting, which occurs when your bank decides that something is suspicious. You shouldn't be too concerned about this, and just making sure that you give good information in the wire memo field and notify your bank in the US that your account will be receiving a sum of approximately $x,000 from the sale proceeds of your home in the UK should be more than sufficient to prevent the bank reporting the wire as "suspicious".

Please note two things: (i) that färting around with your transfer, e.g. breaking the sum into multiple sub $10k wires to try to avoid the routine IRS reporting, is one sure way to get your bank to decide that the activity is suspicious! The routine reporting is nothing to be worried about, but I recommend avoiding trigger a suspicious activity report (SAR). And (ii) banks are prohibited from revealing that a SAR has been filed or even considered, AND asking about SARs and SAR reporting is highly likely to trigger the bank to at least review your account activity and consider filing a SAR. .... Again, don't worry about this, but don't go stirring up trouble for yourself!
Thank you! I file a yearly Fbar for my UK account which has my house money sitting in it and now I want to transfer it over here as it is needed. It seems the most simple way is to transfer it from my UK HSBC account to my online US HSBC account. As HSBC UK know I live in the US I would hope they not file a SAR.
Old May 2nd 2017, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

Asg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Faery
Thank you! I file a yearly Fbar for my UK account which has my house money sitting in it and now I want to transfer it over here as it is needed. It seems the most simple way is to transfer it from my UK HSBC account to my online US HSBC account. As HSBC UK know I live in the US I would hope they not file a SAR.
My sole consideration would be getting the best exchange rate.
Old May 2nd 2017, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Faery
For very large sums like this I would call HSBC and request a rate. I've moved sums in excess of $100k from my HSBC US account to my HSBC UK account when buying a house. Calling in advance also ensures no SAR being filed.

For normal stuff ($10k or less) I use TransferWise. (We live in the UK and receive US pensions so do lots of transfers during the year)

FYI I recently wanted to transfer £50k to my sister and when I called with her bank details the HSBC rep said it would cost £30, but if time allowed I could send them £10k a day for 5 straight days at no charge. My sister then told her bank what to expect and that's what we did.
Old May 2nd 2017, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

Faery is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by durham_lad
For very large sums like this I would call HSBC and request a rate. I've moved sums in excess of $100k from my HSBC US account to my HSBC UK account when buying a house. Calling in advance also ensures no SAR being filed.

For normal stuff ($10k or less) I use TransferWise. (We live in the UK and receive US pensions so do lots of transfers during the year)

FYI I recently wanted to transfer £50k to my sister and when I called with her bank details the HSBC rep said it would cost £30, but if time allowed I could send them £10k a day for 5 straight days at no charge. My sister then told her bank what to expect and that's what we did.
Great info, thank you so much! And to everyone else who contributed to this thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.