Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Transferring money UK to US

Transferring money UK to US

Old Jun 5th 2014, 1:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transferring money UK to US

Originally Posted by Bob
If they're dealing in the US, they're as protected as a the bank is....ie: not very much :/

FDIC on the bank protection gives the institute up to 100 years to return your money if they go under :/
Exactly.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

So you're saying I should spend all the money ASAP? Excellent, i'll tell the wife
Old Jun 5th 2014, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

rew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SkyBlueInOregon
I setup a a Lloyds Bank Premier International Account held in the Isle of Man but I have not yet used it for large amounts. Some how I ended up with three new accounts from the setup, I am able to transfer money efficiently to my Chase account with what I believe to be good rates.
Does anybody else use Lloyds?
I had to choose between Lloyds and XE for a large amount. I got quotes from both and Lloyds was worse by 0.7%. I did hesitate about adding an uninsured middleman, but for a large sum 0.7% would buy a few beers.
The process with XE was completely painless - had to contact customer service to temporarily increase the trade limit.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

XE.com made me close my account and asked me to sign up to a new one as my original one has me as a resident of the UK, not the US. I've closed the account but I'm not sure whether I'll sign up to a new one just yet
Old Jun 5th 2014, 11:39 pm
Banned

JustinButler is an unknown quantity at this point

In the US just make sure your wire transmitter is registered with FinCEN and regulated by the IRS.

<<<snip>>>

Passport/ID and proof of address (or employment contract that shows you will be moving to the US) is required.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jun 5th 2014 at 11:53 pm. Reason: Even though you haven't mentioned the company you can't adveritise the services.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

So I've jumped through the hoops and had my US XE.com account activated, set up the trade, then gone online to transfer money from my HSBC account to the Barclays one that XE uses and HSBC only allows 10,000GBP a day. How have other people got around this?
Old Jun 10th 2014, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC
So I've jumped through the hoops and had my US XE.com account activated, set up the trade, then gone online to transfer money from my HSBC account to the Barclays one that XE uses and HSBC only allows 10,000GBP a day. How have other people got around this?
Barclays allowed a maximum of 20k per day. When I spoke to USForex, they told me they would fix the exchange rate and let me transfer the sterling in 20k increments until I'd transferred the full amount. Once complete, they transferred the dollars.

If that would mean several weeks of daily transfers, you may want to talk to HSBC about upping the limit or transferring another way.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 12:01 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

We just transferred a v large sum with worldfirst to buy a house here. No problems and got a good rate.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 1:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owen778
Barclays allowed a maximum of 20k per day. When I spoke to USForex, they told me they would fix the exchange rate and let me transfer the sterling in 20k increments until I'd transferred the full amount. Once complete, they transferred the dollars.

If that would mean several weeks of daily transfers, you may want to talk to HSBC about upping the limit or transferring another way.
20K...I've transferred 6 figure amounts from the Nat West.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
20K...I've transferred 6 figure amounts from the Nat West.
I think it's because I did it using online banking. If I'd gone into a branch with ID, I think it would have been unlimited.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

Funstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to bump an old thread.

Some of you seem to be transferring a lot of money. I will have a very modest £20k to transfer over. Whats the best option for me?

I was thinking of myself and my wife just taping £10k each to our body but other than that?

Presumably I would need a US bank account but how long do I have to wait before transferring the money?

The alternative is just using our UK checking/credit accounts with our cards in the US. But I want to be able to pay for gas/petrol at the pump!!
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Funstuie
Some of you seem to be transferring a lot of money. I will have a very modest £20k to transfer over. Whats the best option for me?

I was thinking of myself and my wife just taping £10k each to our body but other than that?
I like your idea. Armpits are handy.
Where did you have in mind?
Then there's always bitcoins..or there was

if all else fails - how 'bout?....

someone serious and sane will come along soon, I sure, but in the meantime...well - at least you've had a reply
Old Jun 24th 2014, 1:16 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Just shop for the best deal.

XE works for many.

$10k+ is not illegal, that is just a point where extra scrutiny will be applied and delays may occur.
Old Jun 24th 2014, 1:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

You will need a US bank account to transfer it into, yes. Once that's set up I don't think you have to wait.

We have registered with XE but are going the other way and waiting to see the dollar/pound will get a slightly more favourable rate.