British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Transferring money from the UK to the US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/transferring-money-uk-us-763325/)

lndn2nbca Jun 29th 2012 3:08 pm

Transferring money from the UK to the US

I've been through the threads on FX, and spoken to half a dozen FX companies (MoneyCorp, OANDA, Currencies Direct etc), none of them are accepting new accounts from US residents (I'm 2 years in).

The licensing changes in the US which are reportedly causing this seem to apply to brokers, which I am not.

I need to transfer a reasonable sum (in the 10's of thousands) as a one off. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks

Jerseygirl Jun 29th 2012 3:13 pm

Re: Transferring money from the UK to the US

Originally Posted by lndn2nbca (Post 10146140)
I've been through the threads on FX, and spoken to half a dozen FX companies (MoneyCorp, OANDA, Currencies Direct etc), none of them are accepting new accounts from US residents (I'm 2 years in).

The licensing changes in the US which are reportedly causing this seem to apply to brokers, which I am not.

I need to transfer a reasonable sum (in the 10's of thousands) as a one off. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks

We only do bank to bank transfers...we do not use a 3rd party to transfer money.

GeoffM Jun 29th 2012 4:10 pm

That's a shame. The rate that HiFX are advertising would be about $1000 better than a bank-to-bank transfer from Lloyds TSB for the amount we want to transfer. Our house sale completed today and I was just about to start looking for the same questions and answers.

GeoffM Jun 29th 2012 4:19 pm

Actually I did have an idea. If you trust somebody enough in the UK then maybe they can register and do the transfer. I owe my mum some money anyway :o so I'm going to look into this.

Ahhhfreakout Jun 29th 2012 4:57 pm

Hi,

We recently transferred over a large sum of money from uk to us - it was the proceeds from our house sale in the UK. We used a UK based company to do this - TorFX. They were excellent, offered a great exchange rate and the transfer from UK bank to TorFX to US bank was seemless and very quick - 2 to 3 days. Check out their website - i would highly recomend - we received an excellent service.

Adele.

cranston Jun 29th 2012 4:59 pm

Try Xe.com

http://www.xe.com/xetrade/

lndn2nbca Jun 29th 2012 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 10146294)
Actually I did have an idea. If you trust somebody enough in the UK then maybe they can register and do the transfer. I owe my mum some money anyway :o so I'm going to look into this.

The problem with that is that lenders in the US require statements from the source account to demonstrate it was your money to begin with. If you transfer your own money via a family member it's starting to get messy with evidence.
In my case, I already have to provide my bank statements from the UK showing where the money came from, receipts for the transfer etc.

If it goes via a 3rd party, you might have to get in to evidence it isn't a gift etc, and to be fair, transferring money through multiple accounts before landing in the US could easily look like laundering (which is apparently what all this is designed to prevent).

lndn2nbca Jun 29th 2012 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Ahhhfreakout (Post 10146360)
Hi,

We recently transferred over a large sum of money from uk to us - it was the proceeds from our house sale in the UK. We used a UK based company to do this - TorFX. They were excellent, offered a great exchange rate and the transfer from UK bank to TorFX to US bank was seemless and very quick - 2 to 3 days. Check out their website - i would highly recomend - we received an excellent service.

Adele.

When you created the account, did you state you were resident in the US or in the UK?

davidtheprof Jun 29th 2012 7:19 pm

there are lots of posts on the FX thread,
Oanda looks like still accepting new accounts, and several folks mentioned UK forex. They will all want some documentation, passport and bank account statements showing your name.

PS if you trust using a 3rd party, I know this bloke in Nigeria, who claims he'll pay YOU for transferring HIS money!

Ahhhfreakout Jun 29th 2012 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by lndn2nbca (Post 10146374)
When you created the account, did you state you were resident in the US or in the UK?

We initially registered when we were in the uk. However I don't think this would be an issue. We spoke often with our contact at TorFX and they were well aware that we were now US based.

Give them a call to discus your requirements. I am sure you will have no issue being US based.

Good luck,

Adele.

Bob Jun 30th 2012 12:55 am

xe do seem to be recommended a lot and I thought UKForex accepted new US accounts.

HighCountry Jun 30th 2012 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by cranston (Post 10146366)

Seconded.

dunroving Jul 1st 2012 8:59 am

I thought there was a Forex company that gives BE members favorable status? What's the guy's name - he pops up on here every now and again with the tag line "BE Currency Exchange Vendor"? Is it Jeremy? I think he has permission to advertise in threads because whenever I ask about it, nothing is done.

Is it HiFX? :confused:

[Later edit: Found it - Moneycorp. The name of the guy who's allowed to post adverts in threads is Jordan Tilley]

Bob Jul 2nd 2012 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 10148474)
[Later edit: Found it - Moneycorp. The name of the guy who's allowed to post adverts in threads is Jordan Tilley]

Not any longer, there's another company sponsoring now.