Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Transferring money to UK...

Wikiposts

Transferring money to UK...

Old Oct 1st 2003, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

Harry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the rough
Default Transferring money to UK...

Hi all,
For the past 18 months or so I've been transferring money to my old UK acct to make my loan payments using C2It. It's been great...cheap, convenient, and is now being discontinued...crap!
So does anyone have any suggestions about alternatives? Thanks a lot in advance!
-Harry
Old Oct 1st 2003, 5:20 am

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Transferring money to UK...

Originally posted by Harry
Hi all,
For the past 18 months or so I've been transferring money to my old UK acct to make my loan payments using C2It. It's been great...cheap, convenient, and is now being discontinued...crap!
So does anyone have any suggestions about alternatives? Thanks a lot in advance!
-Harry

I found out yesterday that you can deposit a US check into a brit account.

Have gun will shop.... Brigie
Old Oct 1st 2003, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

Harry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the rough

Brigie,
Thanks a lot for that tip! Do you know how long they take to clear? You don't bank with Lloyds in the UK, by any chance? Just hoping for a happy coincidence that it's Lloyds you're talking about!

-Harry
Old Oct 1st 2003, 5:31 am

Originally posted by Harry
Brigie,
Thanks a lot for that tip! Do you know how long they take to clear? You don't bank with Lloyds in the UK, by any chance? Just hoping for a happy coincidence that it's Lloyds you're talking about!

-Harry

Sorry Harry... I don't know what bank the check goes into. Or how long it will take to clear.... I'm mailed my sister a check today so she can buy some video tapes etc... (shh shh say no more)

If you like I'll let you know when I know how it went... Apparently my dad has been mailing her checks for years. If you can mail a deposit slip with a check it looks highly do-able.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

smiler125 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just get a relative to pay in my America cheques. Normally costs about £6-£8
Old Oct 1st 2003, 10:13 am

Originally posted by smiler125
I just get a relative to pay in my America cheques. Normally costs about £6-£8
Does this mean my sister is going to ahve to pay if she just deposits them?
Old Oct 1st 2003, 10:29 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

What about Paypal? Can you use them? I'm interested to find out because I'll have to keep my bank account topped up too when I move.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 10:31 am

Originally posted by Rockgurl
What about Paypal? Can you use them? I'm interested to find out because I'll have to keep my bank account topped up too when I move.

Bit OT... but when is that RG?
Old Oct 1st 2003, 10:40 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by BrigieDarling
Bit OT... but when is that RG?
LOL...yes...when indeed? I am interviewing tomorrow for a job in Arizona, and on Tuesday for a job in Georgia. My embassy interview is in 2 weeks, so if it all works out I will be moving end of November, although it won't be to CT where I had hoped.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rockgurl
LOL...yes...when indeed? I am interviewing tomorrow for a job in Arizona, and on Tuesday for a job in Georgia. My embassy interview is in 2 weeks, so if it all works out I will be moving end of November, although it won't be to CT where I had hoped.
Good luck RG!! Just get in..you can transfer to CT later.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 5:09 pm
Rock Goddess

Originally posted by Taffyles
Good luck RG!! Just get in..you can transfer to CT later.
Thanx Taffyles. They're talking about California too, but while I'm pleased things are moving forward, I do not relish the thought of being apart from my girlfriend for another 2 years. Nor do I look forward to the huge expense of having 2 homes and large airfares to visit each other. Waaaay too complicated!

Sorry...didn't mean to highjack this thread!