Reload this Page >

Transferring money to my UK bank

Transferring money to my UK bank

Old Jun 4th 2015, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

lozzd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transferring money to my UK bank

Hey all!

Apologies if this is an often asked question; I had difficulty searching and found plenty of people sending money to the US, but not the other direction.

What is the lowest fee way of getting money from a US bank to a UK one? Not really fussed how long it takes. We're talking $5000-8000. Just need to cover some costs in the UK.
If it helps, I'll be back in the UK for a couple of weeks soon.
Old Jun 4th 2015, 10:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transferring money to my UK bank

Direction makes little difference, except you're probably restricted to remitters registered to do business in the US. Xe.com works both ways. It might be possible to wire money to a remitter not registered in the US, but that defeats the object if you want to avoid the wire fee.
Old Jun 4th 2015, 10:49 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

we've used worldfirst both into and out of USA.

You do need to have an account set up though, which can take a couple of weeks due to the security checks they have to make.
Old Jun 5th 2015, 3:18 am
Forum Regular

Richard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really nice

I just used TransferWise... excellent!
Old Jun 5th 2015, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

Thanks all for the suggestions!

So for something like Transferwise, where they suggested I would pay a $71 fee, does that still end up better than just paying the $40 fee from my US bank and £20 in the UK? It sounds like just paying the fees are less but Transferwise also suggests the rate they have is better than banks, but the bank doesn't tell me the rate it would use for SWIFT. Does anything have any experience with that?
Old Jun 5th 2015, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Richard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really nice

If you use this link, below, you get your first transfer up to $4500 for free (no fee). Then a small apportioned fee for anything over the $4500.

They're doing promotions to get the word out there... I just did my first transaction, got a better rate than I was expecting, and no fee. Cool! (Especially after years of paying ridiculously high bank fees and paypal fees).

I think this will work for you from the US to the UK

Good luck!

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 9th 2015 at 6:25 pm. Reason: Link removed, please don't try to get others to sign up just so you get a referral......
Old Jun 9th 2015, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

Thanks very much! I used your link and it worked perfectly.
Signed up yesterday morning, went through all the checks, did the wire transfer, the money was in my UK bank that evening! Absolutely wonderful service, and an excellent rate too. Highly recommended.

Thanks all!

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 9th 2015 at 6:25 pm. Reason: Link removed, please don't try to get others to sign up just so you get a referral......
Old Jun 9th 2015, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

Disenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richard92024
I just used TransferWise... excellent!
Yes, I used them back in Dec 2014 to send cash ahead to a friend for my two kids that would be staying with him as their first stop.
Great service. I will be using them again to send money for the next time I go back home.
Old Jun 13th 2015, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

DottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond repute

I use xoom.com and it it gets there within the hour with a $5 fee.
Old Jun 15th 2015, 7:37 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DottM
I use xoom.com and it it gets there within the hour with a $5 fee.
I use this service once per month to send money back to the UK.
I like it, nice and simple plus they have an iphone app.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 5:11 am
Just Joined

Jgalla5400 is an unknown quantity at this point

I used the above mention Xoom.com to send some money to the UK last week works well and was their almost imidiately.

Just to note though the $5 fee is only for transactions of $2999 or under
Old Jun 16th 2015, 3:41 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.currencyfair.com/blog/mo...el=ROGUE2#1407
Old Jun 16th 2015, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Seemingly comparing everyone to themselves except maybe all the major services frequently recommended in this forum?
Old Jun 16th 2015, 4:35 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Seemingly comparing everyone to themselves except maybe all the major services frequently recommended in this forum?

I use xe myself. Just saw this site/post on another forum