Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Transferring funds from USA to Spain

Transferring funds from USA to Spain

Old Jun 21st 2004, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

dibeach is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transferring funds from USA to Spain

I am trying to transfer money from bank in USA to one in Spain. The US one tells me they need to transfer to an account in US belonging to my Spanish bank. My Spanish bank says they don't have accounts in US banks. I am at an impasse and need to transfer money quickly. The US bank says the SWIFT and IBAN are not enough. Any help/advice available from anybody?
Old Jun 21st 2004, 4:07 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transferring funds from USA to Spain

Originally posted by dibeach
I am trying to transfer money from bank in USA to one in Spain. The US one tells me they need to transfer to an account in US belonging to my Spanish bank. My Spanish bank says they don't have accounts in US banks. I am at an impasse and need to transfer money quickly. The US bank says the SWIFT and IBAN are not enough. Any help/advice available from anybody?
It sounds like you may just be talking to the wrong person at your Spanish bank. Is it a small branch? You might try calling a main/large branch of your bank in Spain to get the information you need.
Old Jun 21st 2004, 4:15 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

We have had to transfer money from US to UK then to Spain! This was the simplest way in the end. But be prepared for it to take ages!

But whatever you do DO NOT get your UK bank to send you a bankers draft for the money. This can then take another 28 days to clear!!!
Old Jun 21st 2004, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Transferring funds from USA to Spain

Originally posted by dunroving
It sounds like you may just be talking to the wrong person at your Spanish bank. Is it a small branch? You might try calling a main/large branch of your bank in Spain to get the information you need.

Yes, it is a small branch but they have taken advice from their head office. Could it be that the bank in the US is not very cluey? When I transferred money from UK to Spain, it was a direct transfer with none of this intermediary stuff.
Old Jun 21st 2004, 4:21 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by xabiachica
We have had to transfer money from US to UK then to Spain! This was the simplest way in the end. But be prepared for it to take ages!

But whatever you do DO NOT get your UK bank to send you a bankers draft for the money. This can then take another 28 days to clear!!!
Yes, even "wiring" the money can take several days. It's not like sending an email. Don't know how much of a rush you are in.

Some useful info on different methods of transferring money internationally can be found at https://www.xe.com/fx/how.htm - click on the Link next to # 4.
Old Jun 21st 2004, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

Well, as far as I can figure out now it seems to be a "big bank, little bank", "commercial bank, non-commercial bank" issue. We seem to have come up with the solution of transfering the funds to one of the Big banks (in this case Washington Mutual) who can then transfer directly to the bank in Spain. Let's see if this works. I don't have too much confidence.
Old Jun 21st 2004, 6:21 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dibeach
Well, as far as I can figure out now it seems to be a "big bank, little bank", "commercial bank, non-commercial bank" issue. We seem to have come up with the solution of transfering the funds to one of the Big banks (in this case Washington Mutual) who can then transfer directly to the bank in Spain. Let's see if this works. I don't have too much confidence.
I would be quite willing to carry a few suitcases of your money to Spain for you, should the banks give you too much trouble....