Reload this Page >

Transferring funds from UK to US

Transferring funds from UK to US

Old Jan 24th 2005, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

HumanTorch is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Transferring funds from UK to US

Hi

Anyone found out a quick and cheap way of transferring funds from one account to another.

UK Account (Pounds) to a US Account (Dollars).

The banks charge loads and have rubbish exchange rates - I have found a few online dealers that offer better rates and no charge but can they be trusted - anyone used one of these or found another way of transferring that works.

I want to transfer around £15k first and then a few £k each month.

Hope you can help.
Old Jan 24th 2005, 5:42 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transferring funds from UK to US

Originally Posted by HumanTorch
The UK uses pounds?

US is Dollars?

well bugger me, no wonder they refuse to accept my Drachma's.
Old Jan 24th 2005, 5:51 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
well bugger me, no wonder they refuse to accept my Drachma's.
Damn! I'd forgotten about those. What kind of interest did you make after... let me see... 25 years?

BTW, I think that Manc is trying to say 'Use the search function' at page top right.
Old Jan 24th 2005, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

Location: NY for now.. in three year's time perhaps back to London!!!
Nylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really nice

Originally Posted by UKintheUSA
We just have the bank wire transfer it. It costs about $15.00 for each wire transfer from my husbands UK Bank Account into our USA Bank Account.
Seems to be the easiest way for us.

Deb
We did the same a couple of weeks ago when the exchange rate was 1.98% and made a killing just by transfering £££ to $$$$ in preparation for our move. A wire transfer is easy, fast and affordable.
Old Jan 24th 2005, 8:10 pm
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Transferring funds from UK to US

Originally Posted by HumanTorch
Hi

Anyone found out a quick and cheap way of transferring funds from one account to another.

The banks charge loads and have rubbish exchange rates - I have found a few online dealers that offer better rates and no charge but can they be trusted - anyone used one of these or found another way of transferring that works.

I want to transfer around £15k first and then a few £k each month.

Hope you can help.
another method is to convert your pounds into a money order cheque in dollars, i did this with my UK bank, and for sizeable amounts they give you the business rate - which at the time worked out to .10 cents extra for every pound.

Ant
Old Jan 24th 2005, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

Lilywolf is on a distinguished road

I had the same query a few weeks back, so far best bet seems the wire transfer. See link below for more answers

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276848
Old Jan 25th 2005, 12:18 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

There are already loads of threads on this subject that have come up recently, you'll find loads of good info about XE.com etc with a quick search, or even looking over the last couple days of the US lifestyle forum...
Old Jan 25th 2005, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

superpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to all

I used XE successfully recently. Got a great rate - planning to use them again when we sell our UK house.

Cheers,

Pat
Old Jan 25th 2005, 12:27 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by superpat
I used XE successfully recently. Got a great rate - planning to use them again when we sell our UK house.

Cheers,

Pat
I'm thinking of giving XE a test drive with a couple of thousand Euros. How long did it take them to complete your transaction? I shouldn't be, but I'm still reticent about using XE.
Old Jan 25th 2005, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

Benny Boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is a quote from another website re charges. It seems that a Paypal account is the key. Might be worth checking it out www.floridadays.co.uk

"So I use paypal herer in the UK - I can load my paypal account with £, takes about 3 days to hit the paypal account but there is no charge. I can then add my US account to PayPal and withdraw finds from my account to the US account, again no charge".
Old Jan 25th 2005, 1:52 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Benny Boy
Here is a quote from another website re charges. It seems that a Paypal account is the key. Might be worth checking it out www.floridadays.co.uk

"So I use paypal herer in the UK - I can load my paypal account with £, takes about 3 days to hit the paypal account but there is no charge. I can then add my US account to PayPal and withdraw finds from my account to the US account, again no charge".
except paypal is shady as shit
Old Jan 25th 2005, 1:53 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKintheUSA
Excellent website for XE. May have to transfer some soon. I couldn't find where to order/transfer money from on the site! Duh, Ok I am blonde, can someone tell me how to go about this?
Now STOP LAUGHING! LOL

Debs
link for xe transfers

https://www.xe.com/fx/
Old Jan 25th 2005, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

Benny Boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Just tryin to help. Thousands use it.
Old Jan 25th 2005, 4:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Benny Boy
unless your a premium member, there's a limit on how much you can transfer a month...
Old Jan 26th 2005, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

superpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sibsie
I'm thinking of giving XE a test drive with a couple of thousand Euros. How long did it take them to complete your transaction? I shouldn't be, but I'm still reticent about using XE.
I used BACS to transfer the currency from my UK account to XE, then wire from XE to my US account. It took the regular 3 days for the first bit, then I had the money in my US account the next day - so 4 days in total.

I could have done it quicker with CHAPS (rather than BACS), but there was no great urgency for the money that would have made the extra 30 quid or so worth paying. Overall, I think the experience was a little better than a regular SWIFT transfer - you get a better rate, and a bit more visibility into where your money is at any given point in the process. I transferred the proceeds of a car sale from the UK to the US using SWIFT in late 2003 and it took nearly a month (instead of about 3-5 days) for the money to arrive!

(BACS = the 'usual' mechanism for a domestic transfer in the UK; CHAPS = the 'quick' mechanism - same day - like when you buy a house; SWIFT = the 'usual' mechanism for international transfers)

If you're thinking of using it, then get the account setup done ahead of time - you have to fax them ID, bank statement, all that anti-money laundering crap. I think it took about a week from opening the account to having it active and ready to trade.

Cheers,

Pat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.