British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Transferring Driving Licence (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/transferring-driving-licence-904870/)

Pulaski Oct 25th 2017 6:37 pm

Re: Transferring Driving Licence

Originally Posted by ivanidea (Post 12368450)
And the modern transport company uses digital tachos, basically, a smart card which looks like a driving licence. Our transport department (last UK company I worked at) would read these cards once a week, and print a report if a driver drove too many hours.

The government inspectors would also turn up and do random checks on the database too.

That's an interesting development, and no doubt a useful one too - much easier to police, enforce, and check/audit.

Ecto17 Oct 26th 2017 1:57 am

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 12365936)
NJ used to waive the practical driving test but no longer does.

My spouse had a New Jersey driving licence for 8 years (when we moved here in 2000 we only had to do the theory test as we produced our GB and Singapore driving licenses).

My spouse returned to Singapore and then Switzerland with his employer (giving up his Green Card).

Last year he relocated with his employer back to the NYC office and to our house in New Jersey. He pulled up his old NJ driving records from the DMV and had his old expired NJ licence to show to the staff at the DMV as well as his Swiss licence. Unfortunately after much discussion and speaking with managers at a couple of DMV offices he was still required to do both the theory and the practical test as the regulations were changed over the years.

It is far too easy to pass the practical test in NJ....it is all over in 10 minutes. I drove my spouse to the test centre and the examiner looked pleased that it was yet another 17 year old lol! In fact he was ex-military and was chatting with my spouse about his overseas postings and he forgot to tell him to take a couple of turns on the test route! :lol:

We only had to do our theory test in NJ recently, our U.K. license meant we didn't need to take the practical.
In fairness despite the lack of practical test, the DMV still managed to put us through it!!!!

RollingStones Oct 27th 2017 5:33 pm

We're in PA and we're paying the princely sum of $300 to do the driving test together next week!

Ecto17 Oct 27th 2017 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by RollingStones (Post 12369747)
We're in PA and we're paying the princely sum of $300 to do the driving test together next week!

Ouch!!!

RollingStones Oct 27th 2017 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Ecto17 (Post 12369758)
Ouch!!!

Tell me about it.
...And I had to haggle. The original quote was $199 each!!!

We've done the multiple guess part, now we need to do the test. Regardless, insurance is going to cost an arm and a leg.