Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Transferring cash back to the UK

Transferring cash back to the UK

Old Oct 20th 2005, 6:43 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transferring cash back to the UK

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
What sort of a rate do they give you ??
My US and UK banks are after a pound of flesh to do this for me, though the fact that I'm only transferring 4 figure sums may have something to do with it.
Anyway hopefully I'll never be in a massive rush to shift cash back to blighty so as long as it gets there in 2-3 weeks I'm happy (for a change )

sorry - clarification

I use natwest online banking to transfer it to xe.com uk account

they do the international bit andthen eft it into my usa account

no charges at either end
Old Oct 20th 2005, 6:53 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
sorry - clarification

I use natwest online banking to transfer it to xe.com uk account

they do the international bit andthen eft it into my usa account

no charges at either end
Ahh - I get you.
Can't eft it into my uk account unfortunately (only available for payment to US/Canada accounts) and refuse to give my bank £30 for doing f**k all in accepting the wire.
Mind you the 5 day thing is good news - hopefully my current estimates are worst case scenarios.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 7:31 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh - I get you.
Can't eft it into my uk account unfortunately (only available for payment to US/Canada accounts) and refuse to give my bank £30 for doing f**k all in accepting the wire.
Mind you the 5 day thing is good news - hopefully my current estimates are worst case scenarios.
don;t know for sure but I would say you should be pleasantly suprised
Old Oct 21st 2005, 1:26 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Cash has now gone from my bank account but xe.com haven't got it yet.
At least I now know that they were able to validate the bank account but now the sweat begins.
Status still waiting according to xe - would be nice if they get the cash before the weekend.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 2:16 pm
Thinking about it

As promised here's the lastest update.
I started the trade on Thursday morning, giving xe the cash via eft. They got the cash on monday and completed the transaction then and there.
Draft has now been mailed but could take up to 14 days to arrive in the uk.
I opted for the slowest but cheapest methods of transfer which means that the rate i got including all fees was effectively 1.79 - don't know if this can be beaten anywhere.

If you want to speed things up you could wire them the cash, and they could wire it to you but that would prob mean at least $60 extra in fees.

Final update when i actually get someone back home to bank the draft but at the minute i'd say that i'll be using them again.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

Roadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to behold

As promised here's the lastest update.
I started the trade on Thursday morning, giving xe the cash via eft. They got the cash on monday and completed the transaction then and there.
Draft has now been mailed but could take up to 14 days to arrive in the uk.
I opted for the slowest but cheapest methods of transfer which means that the rate i got including all fees was effectively 1.79 - don't know if this can be beaten anywhere.

If you want to speed things up you could wire them the cash, and they could wire it to you but that would prob mean at least $60 extra in fees.

Final update when i actually get someone back home to bank the draft but at the minute i'd say that i'll be using them again.
I just used xe today to transfer the deposit on my house from the UK to the US. I calculate that I saved £200 over my UK bank's rate, and £600 over my US bank's rate. Well worth the effort (if the money turns up, of course!). That should offset the Cheltenham and Gloucester wanting £100 for a reference, with change.
Old Oct 28th 2005, 11:27 pm
Thinking about it

Draft arrived home today.
So there you have it 8 days in total (and that's after me chosing their slowest options) to shift cash back to the UK at a rate of 1.79 with no extra fees.
Think I'll be using them again.
Old Oct 28th 2005, 11:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Draft arrived home today.
So there you have it 8 days in total (and that's after me chosing their slowest options) to shift cash back to the UK at a rate of 1.79 with no extra fees.
Think I'll be using them again.
That's pretty good going considering a cheque can take that long to clear around here *l*
Old Oct 30th 2005, 12:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chorlton
Is there anything to stop you from transferring back and forth to coincide with currency fluctuations?
There is nothing at al to stop you, save for your own common sense and the amount of money that you are prepared to lose.

In all honesty the rewards are likely very small, and the risks considerable. To see a 10% shift (likely 8% gain after charges, assuming that you are on the right side of the equation), you would have to wait a number of weeks, or even months. If I remember correctly during the late 90's the $/£ rate drifted very slowly done from arounf $1.60/£1 to around $1.40/£1 over several years. You would have been waiting a long time to make any money on fluctuations.

Even the banks that trade currency have a hard time making money from taking positions - it is, after all a "zero sum gain" i.e. you can only make a profit if someone else makes a loss.
Old Oct 31st 2005, 2:55 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo
yeah I think being called Pablo Escobar always causes me an issue but its a cross I have to bear - damn you mum !

Phone interview started 3 months ago apparently ..
did you get the position?
Old Oct 31st 2005, 2:57 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
did you get the position?
my nostrils couldn't take it
Old Oct 31st 2005, 5:12 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo
my nostrils couldn't take it
Bit to pure for your brummy nostrils!!